Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

GT Lists and Successes

1K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  ntaw 
#1 ·
I really want to get into the competitive scene, but can't with my IG. I usually run fluffy lists, nothing crazy and have been a 50/50 player. What is some advice from veteran tournament players? Personally I like White Scars fluff and have had some great advice to make them tournament ready. What are some other lists you have run with great success?

Necrons, Space Marines (Scars, Dark Angels, Blood Angels), Tau (guessing they got better) are of real interest.

#2 ·
Necrons:
Decurion with Canoptek Harvest to make a Deathstar out of Wraiths or Lychguard is very popular. Decurion in general is hard to go wrong with though, it's a very solid option.

Space Marines (Scars, Dark Angels, Blood Angels):
Scars Battle Company and Bike lists, both with Khan, do work. Skyhammer Annihilation Force is a solid formation if you're not running a Battle Company. Grav Cannons leap them into the very competitive tier. There's been a bunch of Battle Company batreps recently by Frontline Gaming, worth checking out. White Scars just got a bunch of new Relics one of which is 20pts for the unit to Ignore Cover, which might herald a new era of Centurion Star. Dark Angels can build a very convincing Biker army, with Ravenwing Knights being the basis for all kinds of deathstars or just running multiple units. You can make a Ravenwing army that's all but immune to a lot of shooting which is very powerful. Blood Angels are kinda dead on the competitive scene; anything they can do is either not as good as the other 'tournament lists' or is simply worse than Space Marines. Or both.

Tau:
Kind of an unknown quantity until we know how Co-Ordinated Fire works. Depending on how that plays out, they might remain unable to touch deathstars which stops them getting the top spots at tournaments, or they might be the absolute most powerful army in 40k. All depends on Co-Ordinated Fire, really. From the two or three battle reports I've seen of their new iteration, they haven't done well against competitive armies

#3 ·
Just to add to what MidnightSun said. Battlecompanies especially white scars are doing good. The big one ripping things up right now is a space wolf/ Ravenwing/ Inquistor army list that everyone is trying to play or trying to figure out how to beat.
It has 3 wolf lords, 2 Iron Priest all on thunderwolfs, Raven wing with Belial, librian conclave with Tigirius, Allied Inquisitor, allied Saint Celestine, 2 priest and one squad of sisters, allied Culexius Assassin. Or some version of this I have seen a few different list but many of the same things in it.

General idea is to form one big unit, that consists of: all wolf lords, iron priests, librarian, RCS, inquisitor, priests and saint celestine. This unit (wolfstar) has majority T5, 2+ save with fnp and hit and run with I7. Lots of S9 AP2 attacks (with rad grenades, lowering toughness) that reroll to hit for hatred (priest) with counter attack from wolf lords and auto-passing warhymnes, so unit can reroll failed to wound or reroll failed save throws (2+/2+ or 3++/3++). In general everything that is assaulted by wolfstar unit is dead. wolfstar with dark shroud, so RCS can jink with 2+/2+ cover save, librarius conclave with tigirius rolling for invisibility and belial, whose trait allow extra movement, so footslogging ICs can keep up cavalry and bikes.

I have not faced this or ran it because like the OP I am a fluffy list person that plays mainly orks but I am putting together a Nids list just for giggles since everyone already knows how to take out flying hive tyrants.

#4 ·
Just to add to what MidnightSun said. Battlecompanies especially white scars are doing good. The big one ripping things up right now is a space wolf/ Ravenwing/ Inquistor army list that everyone is trying to play or trying to figure out how to beat.
It has 3 wolf lords, 2 Iron Priest all on thunderwolfs, Raven wing with Belial, librian conclave with Tigirius, Allied Inquisitor, allied Saint Celestine, 2 priest and one squad of sisters, allied Culexius Assassin.
This is the list that just won the NOVA open. I appreciate you explaining how it actually works :)

#6 ·
You run around the table being invincible and vaporizing anything you touch, and pray to the Emperor that you don't run into Fog of Dreams. I don't really like it myself; I know it's done well at a couple of tournaments, but I think it has too many characters and not enough Eternal Warrior. It doesn't take an awful lot of bad luck from a Manticore or heaven forbid some Stomp attacks to take out a big ol' chunk of it.

#8 ·
Imperial Guard are kinda weird on the tournament scene - even when they first dropped in 6th, they've got a really solid book that has good shooting, strong melee defence, the best Allies chart, good Flyers, and Ignores Cover out the wazoo but they've never been winning high profile tournaments to the best of my knowledge. It's a bit of a mystery as to why, because Guard totally have the components to make a strong list, but they just don't.

#9 ·
interesting insight. I always took the IG for having the most options, and thus the most flexible lists. They can do horde, armor columns, tank commanders, etc. etc.

I always shied away from them as an army because they seemed so overwhelming, so many tricks up their sleeve that I wouldn't be able to buckle down and hammer out just a few tactics to start with.

#10 ·
Fluff to army wise, the guard have never been better than they are now. Flexibility is definitely there and against similarly fluffy enemies - orks, tyrranids, eldar, necrons, they perform exactly as they should in the fluff.

As someone who isn't into tournaments, I really like this codex and hope it stays relatively unchanged into the future - the only thing I really want is formations to include multiple deathstrikes and manticores without culling heavy support choices outside of Apocalypse.

#11 ·
I've had decent results with my mech lists against friends testing their tourney lists, the key thing stopping me from rolling them is my own familiarity with the Guard's play style and I often take quite....non competitive choices (like sponsons on Battle Tanks). If I went a bit harder on my list making it might not be as easy for them to handle my tanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.