Another GW victim - Page 5 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-01-15, 09:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goochman70 View Post
o_O
Clearly the Imperial forces should only be associating with Imperial forces bit.

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
A hero is someone who steps up when everyone else backs down.
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

Seriously, is it really that hard to write reviews without spoilers?

Reporting Posts - read this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-04-15, 04:14 PM

The production costs to make an actualy box of minis is very little, GW staff discount apparently used to be that you paid for the weight of plastic used, and it would generally mean that a £20 box becomes 80p. The real production costs are making the moulds themselves, which cost thousands, its why not everything is made in plasctic as it simply won't make its money back, such as special characters, you will only ever need one of each. It's also why a lot of boxes now have the options to make several different units, as then only 1 mould needs to be made, but people will buy several of the same box to make a couple of different units they may want.

Me: To be honest im amazed there isn't a chaos god of not revising or at least chaos god of procrastination

MidnightSun: There will be, when enough people do it. Y'know when the Eldar were all engaging in their hedonism and Slaanesh ripped open the Eye of Terror with his creation? Slaanesh will have NOTHING on the God of Procrastination, and his vile minions will carve the galaxy asunder in a thousand year reign of blood.... Tomorrow
post #43 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-05-15, 10:29 AM

Kharn The Complainer's Flag is: Former Soviet Union

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcoso View Post
The production costs to make an actualy box of minis is very little, GW staff discount apparently used to be that you paid for the weight of plastic used, and it would generally mean that a £20 box becomes 80p. The real production costs are making the moulds themselves, which cost thousands, its why not everything is made in plasctic as it simply won't make its money back, such as special characters, you will only ever need one of each. It's also why a lot of boxes now have the options to make several different units, as then only 1 mould needs to be made, but people will buy several of the same box to make a couple of different units they may want.
Interesting. That clears up a lot of questions.

post #44 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-05-15, 04:18 PM
Heresy Online's Pet Furby

Tawa's Flag is: Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcoso View Post
The production costs to make an actualy box of minis is very little, GW staff discount apparently used to be that you paid for the weight of plastic used, and it would generally mean that a £20 box becomes 80p.
GW staff discount was nowhere near that sort of crazy.
"Back in the day" it was roughly 75% off lead figures - if you went and got them yourself from HQ - and roughly 50% off plastics.

Now it's more along the lines of 50% off in-store stuff and around 20-26% off FW gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace of Ultramar View Post
I think Tawa is a temporal entity that exists outside of the hobby/modeling timeline. Essentially, he's the Heresy Online equivalent of a Time Lord... which is kinda hilarious and frightening all at the same time.
"God-Emperor? Calling him a god was how all this mess started."
post #45 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-05-15, 04:29 PM

Goochman70's Flag is: USA

Hell, back in the day when I worked for GW we paid for the pieces by weight.
Plastics where next to nothing and metal was really cheap.
I can't tell you about FW because I really never heard of it until a couple of years later after I left the company.

Brother G

Remember the Fallen at Rynns World
post #46 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-05-15, 06:32 PM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

^ a buddy of mine also paid by weight. Maybe it's a North American thing, @Tawa ?

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #47 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-06-15, 02:46 AM
DA GOLDEN WAAAGH

Battman's Flag is: Australia

Well just to throw my two cents in.

GW games is certainly a luxury product, cost in comparison to demand should be lower but just isn't we can't really do anything about it. For whichever reasoning they have gone down that path, possibly looking to maintain profit margins or some thing of the like.

Many a time pricing in Australia and New Zealand has been talked about and my two cents on the fact that the prices are exorbitant even more so than the already costly game. In my interpretation some products are just having freight and tax added then converted into the local dollars, which results in the pricing. But as said many times already in this thread and others if you cannot pay the pricing but still wish to play thing game find alternatives, second hand products, ebay, or heaven forbid third party re casters or even other companies models. One that i have personally been getting right into is the old khromelch orks at a similar size and scale they work quite nicely and add a little variance to your pile of boys.

As to the staff discounts i find that quite interesting that at least at some stage they may have done payment in that method (by weight), I certainly think it is a bit of a double edge blade while staff got a good end of the deal it may have fueled the price gouging that followed. In my own experience with staff discounts one scheme that the company I work for (automotive parts sales) they work on a system of giving staff a basic trade discount such as between 15-25% GP on a product instead of the retail pricing scheme of 30-50% GP on products, which seems to be a reasonable system for keeping moral high.

Though another thought which just came to mind in it was always probably an method for having staff paint more models for display, threfor hopefully selling more models unlike in my case automotive parts where the actual staff having the products doesn't help the company apart from movement of stock.

well that about all of my rambling, for the moment at least.

Da Golden Waaagh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlestix View Post
Dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka BATORK!!!
post #48 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-06-15, 07:48 AM

Goochman70's Flag is: USA

Well nowadays the hobby is for the player who wants to be in the hobby. Because there's a gazillion ways to get the figures that you need from sources other than GW and/or FW, same products, just a bit of extra flash to trim but good enough.
And way cheaper, wich is the main reason it is there.
So if you are complaining like a biaitch, well don't. There's no reason why.

There are plenty of other ways to get your plastic fix and stay in the hobby.
:eek:

Am I evil, yeah maybe I am, after so many years in the hobby, I've survived 3 tours in combat zones getting shoot at., explosions, car bombs, rpg's, etc. ....
Great vacation times. After that you get really cynical.

I've dedicated my time to the game and making fluff armies all imperial.
All I have has been updated meticulously but is up to par to 7th edition (but the bases I'm still working on them)

So the way I see it, there's no GW victim or victims, there's just malcontents that don't want to break the piggy bank and get the new toy because it costs too much, well do your research and find were can you get it cheaper.
Take the gloves off, play dirty, play to win.

Brother G

Remember the Fallen at Rynns World
post #49 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-06-15, 05:04 PM
Heresy Online's Pet Furby

Tawa's Flag is: Scotland

Could well be a North American thing, but I don't know anybody that currently works for GW US

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace of Ultramar View Post
I think Tawa is a temporal entity that exists outside of the hobby/modeling timeline. Essentially, he's the Heresy Online equivalent of a Time Lord... which is kinda hilarious and frightening all at the same time.
"God-Emperor? Calling him a god was how all this mess started."
post #50 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-06-15, 08:48 PM

Kharn The Complainer's Flag is: Former Soviet Union

Gamers Only 20 Percent of Games Workshop's Customers

http://www.iii.co.uk/news-opinion/ri...ampaign=buffer

Quote:
It does not mention games. In conversation, I’m told that the word “Game” in Games Workshop encourages the misconception that games are its business, but that only about 20% of Games Workshop’s customers are gamers. The rest are modellers and collector.
So in short, they don't care about gamers. You don't make them enough money. It's all about people who want to buy a Titan and have it sitting in the corner of their room; or collect the entire Horus Primarch set and display them on their shelf.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode