Lack of Painting Skills - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-14-15, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

Default Lack of Painting Skills

Hi everyone

I've been thinking quite abit about the following so I wanted to share this with other wargammers and get some advice really and what you guys think or if anyone else has been through this at all.

I use to play Warhammer 40k way back in 4th/5th edition, I was not much of a painter back then but I wasn't bothered much, I just enjoyed the painting / game overall.

I got back into, or trying to at least, warhammer 40k in 7th edition and decided to go with a grey knight army. Now, i was suuuper excited and very keen to get going. I purchased my army and started painting.

Not to my surprise, my painting is not the standard i want it to be. Now i dont want to sound all emo like or as if im crying / complaining but for me, the lack of painting skills or the overall quality of my work makes me lose motivation for the game at an alarming rate. I'm even at the point where I would Ebay my entire army just because the paint jobs are not good enough.

Have you guys experienced something like this? If so how do you look past this and carry on, because to me having a well painted army is a very important thing, however when you lack the skills to produce what you want its very discouraging.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-14-15, 10:37 PM

Matcap's Flag is: Netherlands

Very recognisable mate. I tend to take long breaks between my paint work and usually can't help myself but strip previous painted minis. Now almost done with a 5 man assault squad, which took me almost 3 years after a lot of starting and stopping and stripping them 5 times. It gets better with practice and I do keep some of my earliest minis to compare and see how much progress I made.

Totally understand the frustration, but remember: Rome wasn't built in a day and practice makes perfect. Keep at it and eventually you'll be painting stuff you're proud to show off!

If you want I'll send you some how to's and a collection of links to tutorials.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-14-15, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

I knew i wasn't the only one out there The how to's and tutorials would be most welcome, thank you.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-14-15, 11:46 PM

Matcap's Flag is: Netherlands

Meant to sent as a message, but it was too long so I'll just copy paste it here

So as not to spam the forum too much:

From the warp; this was my starting point for a lot of basic stuff, how to get clean highlights and how to do a proper basecoat, etc. Lots of intermediary and advanced stuff as well, this blog focusses mostly on GW stuff. http://fromthewarp.blogspot.nl/p/arc...tutorials.html

If you fancy some more advanced stuff you can't go wrong with massive voodoo, which are excellent painters of all models: http://massivevoodoo.blogspot.nl/200...-overview.html

English isn't their first language so some slip ups here and there but the quality they put out is amazing. I usually look at their step by step model tutorials and use some parts that I can apply to my own stuff.

Tale of painters: http://taleofpainters.blogspot.de/se...abel/Tutorials
Have a lot of how-to paint specific colour schemes, so if you are looking for some inspiration there's a lot there.

Those three sites combined should last you a while ;) If you have any specific questions I might help with, don't hesitate to ask!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-15-15, 12:04 PM

Turnip86's Flag is: England

Well something you might not have considered is that GW have changed their paint range twice in the last 5 or so years and the new range is excellent but also possibly different to what you were using before (if you're using citadel paints that is) With base paints you only need one or possibly 2 thin layers to get good coverage whereas the layer paints might need a few more.

Also the shades are your best friend

Other than that, buying a few cheap second hand models on ebay to practice on might be a good idea too in order to get you back into it before you paint your GKs and as Matcap suggested, following other people's painting exploits and tutorials cap help a lot too
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-15-15, 01:58 PM
Closet Dictator

Old Man78's Flag is: Ireland

I feel your pain, unfortunately if you lack natural talent then time and practice painting is the only thing you can do, my ambition far outways my ability and I am litarally years putting my army together since getting back into the hobby when I joined the forum. My advice, plan what you want to do with your army as in paint scheme and ant particular theme you want to run through your army, stick with the plan and fish through the tutorial modelling painting sections of this forum, it is and endless and bountiful sea of inspiration and advice

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-15-15, 10:18 PM

Motivation issues are an occupational hazard I'm afraid. Particuallry when it comes to painting. The issue I have is if I don't know how to paint something i won't until I find a tutorial how to. Always ave a good look online for tutorials, youtube will always have a massive range from begginner to very advanced stuff. Particuarly the GW tutorials they do. They are top notch and produce effective results without having amazing technique, as lots of colour are used rather than loads of blending and such.

GW tutorials are always a good place to start as the textures are often transferable. I also highly recommend the How to Paint CItadel Miniature book, I've used the Tomb Kings guide and its so simple to produce good reuslts fast

Me: To be honest im amazed there isn't a chaos god of not revising or at least chaos god of procrastination

MidnightSun: There will be, when enough people do it. Y'know when the Eldar were all engaging in their hedonism and Slaanesh ripped open the Eye of Terror with his creation? Slaanesh will have NOTHING on the God of Procrastination, and his vile minions will carve the galaxy asunder in a thousand year reign of blood.... Tomorrow
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-15-15, 10:47 PM

Einherjar667's Flag is: USA

My two tropes are: Don't do anything you're not confident you can do well without trying or experimenting first. Identify your limitations, work around them if you want painted models now, and practice until you can expand those limitations. Unfortunately, models are a very unforgiving medium to experiment on unless they're metal, cause you can always strip off metal easily.

And youtube videos are a godsend, especially the GW ones with that same guy. those are extremely helpful, follow how he does things and you WILL have very similar results to him.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-15-15, 11:18 PM

R_Squared's Flag is: England

Having just finished up 30 Ork boyz, all I can say is KISS (keep it simple stoopid).
I demotivated myself massively when I first started painting in the beginning by focussing too much on details and getting bogged down in the sheer scale of the challenge I set myself.
Now I undercoat with a black or metallic spray, keep my base coats to a max of 3 or 4 colours, wash, and highlight.
The only models I spend real time on are the characters, mainly because they are more interesting to paint, but also because they are the centrepieces.
I find having a unifying theme is helpful too. My first mob of Ork boyz are terrible, all different colours with weird combinations and odd basing. They stand out like a sore thumb on the table, but I keep them as they are as I like to look at how I started, and how far I have come. But I never would have been able to do my whole army like that, it would have taken forever and I would have given up.
Give yourself a break, don't beat up on yourself, not everyone is a Golden Demon winner. But it is massively satisfying to field your own painted force in the end, that's worth quite a bit too.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-15-15, 11:50 PM
Closet Dictator

Old Man78's Flag is: Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Squared View Post
all I can say is KISS (keep it simple stoopid).
I'm stealing this!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode