Death of the plasma pistol? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-10-08, 11:57 PM Thread Starter

godzy's Flag is: Israel

Death of the plasma pistol?

I noticed that a lot of the lists running around here, are not showing the formerly favorite-by-all plasma pistol. I think this has two reasons:

first of all, pistols are no longer rapid fire, cutting the number of shots by half. changing the gets hot rule to not stack up does not balance it, as you only shoot once, not twice.

second reason- almost all of the special cc weapons are now only able to get +1 a when used as a pair- mostly available only on few units, and usually comes at the cost of a ranged attack. so, if you have that power fist, lightning claw or relic blade, a pistol will not get you another attack in cc. this results in more storm bolters, hellfire rounds bolters and combi bolters hitting the table.

what do you think?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-11-08, 12:12 AM

killmaimburn's Flag is: USA

Well I still run plas pistols in my zerkers, in a recent game I shot around 12 plasma shots and only got 1 overheat, which I saved. In turn, my plasma killed me around 5 marines, a rhino, and an obliterator, netting my zerkers 2.5 kill points BEFORE they even hit cc *gasp*.

post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-11-08, 12:31 AM

Sanguinary Dan's Flag is: USA

I honestly haven't been that big a fan of the Plasma Pistol since 4e. Overheating guns and I seem to have a hate-hate relationship.

That and when the new BA codex PDF was released the damned things went up to 15 points each. Not so bad for S7 AP2. But that's the same cost as a Plasma Gun and a Plasma Cannon and that means they just aren't worth it on ICs. I still have one in my RAS but I wouldn't use them anywhere else.

"As a rule of thumb, the designers do not hide "easter eggs" in the rules. If clever reading is required to unlock some sort of hidden option, then it is most likely just a result of wishful thinking." Pete Haines
For the Emperor's sake people it's a TURRET! There is no such thing as a turrent.

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-11-08, 01:00 AM

killmaimburn's Flag is: USA

Your point is valid and I appreciate your reasoning when I consider them in regular squads, but in berzerker squads they are the only special weapon they can take and because I run my squads with PW champs instead of PF, the plas pistols give me punch against a wraithlord, nightbringer, or other big cc nasty. If I charge, I will have an S5 PW weapon but that will only kill said nasty in the even that it was weakend by some plasma shots...besides, they mop the floor with termies and MEQ so they are worth their points, each three shots tend to return at least 2/3 of the points cost of them and so I run 3 pistols in each squad.

post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-11-08, 01:47 AM
Katie Drake's Flag is: Canada

Ever since the point cost going up, you don't see plasma pistols anymore. That's the skinny of it, I think. The 4th edition Marine Codex allowed Assault Squads to take two of them for very cheap. They were so cheap in fact, that there wasn't really any reason not to take them.

Nowadays, you might as well just give one of your Squad members a plasma gun for the same cost. It has a better range, potentially more shots and all that jazz. Really, the only point in taking a plasma pistol nowadays is to add that crucial extra plasma shot when you hop out of your Drop Pod or Rhino.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-11-08, 01:53 AM

Son of mortarion's Flag is: USA

Location: Running a dark mechanicus forgeworld somewhere in the warp

I stopped using plasma pistols in 3e, and it was for no other reason that the points were better spent on more troops. I found that one of two things happened, I either used the pistol once, or not at all. I personally see little point in upgrading a pistol, unless it is dirt cheap, and does more that snap off one shot in a game.

check out the entropic reaper or remain a vagrant on the sidewalk of life.
[http://entropomancer.blogspot.com/
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-11-08, 01:55 AM
Executive Nitpicker

Galahad's Flag is: USA

For me, the big factor is, as Dan said, the cost.

Way too expensive, especially if you're already paying inflated costs for a powerfist.

But then, come to think of it, I never really used them much before.
They were too dangerous and expensive to use on ICs. I didn't like the chance of giving up VP by wounding an expensive character and, especially back in the days of rolling assaults, I;d only ever fire the thing once or twice, after that it became an overpriced CCW.

And i never used it on a vet sarge because they were already costly with the PF, and I didn;t want to risk losing the squad's main CC punch because I botched a n armor save after an overheat

So, really, I only ever used them on assault squads, and then only one. Gotta bring a flamer too, after all.

The big change for my lists at least, was the change from plasguns to meltas, due mainly to the cost.

-=============]xxxxo Galahad oxxxx[=============-
Check out the Heresy Combat Calculator -- MathHammer Made Easy!

Codex: Angels Errant. Read it, please.
Heresy Forum Rules -- Read them, damnit!
Reporting: When/How/Why -- Read that too!
"...remember the Golden Rule: Chill out, they're only plastic spacemen!" -Brother Jazzman
"Galahad is 100% correct in his explanation. Anyone who says otherwise to [him] is vastly mistaken." -The Wraithlord
"You know what? Fuck DC comics." -Robert Downey Junior

Last edited by Galahad; 10-11-08 at 02:00 AM.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-11-08, 01:59 AM
Katie Drake's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad View Post
Way too expensive, especially if you're already paying inflated costs for a powerfist.
It's not really inflated anymore... power fist costs are the same across the board now, at least in most cases.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-11-08, 02:06 AM
Pally-HO!!!!

Captain Galus's Flag is: USA

I personally run plasma pistols whenever i get the chance...true, it costs 15 points, but now I can fire it AND charge! It took me a while to notice that my DA's all had bolt pistols standard, but once I did i charged every chance i got; i like to think of it as firing a bolter volley before the charge, instead of actually pulling out a pistol.

Back on topic, I think the plasma pistol has always had a bad rep because of Gets Hot, but those players (like me) who think S7 AP2 is worth 15pts, it's a godsend.

post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-11-08, 02:13 AM
Executive Nitpicker

Galahad's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie Drake View Post
It's not really inflated anymore... power fist costs are the same across the board now, at least in most cases.
Just because they all cost more doesn't mean the cost hasn't been inflated.
Everything costing more all of the sudden is called Inflation, after all ;-)

If I'm already paying a ton of points for a fist, I'm not going to pay a half-ton more points for a pistol that I will fire two or three times and run a chance of slagging said expensive model

-=============]xxxxo Galahad oxxxx[=============-
Check out the Heresy Combat Calculator -- MathHammer Made Easy!

Codex: Angels Errant. Read it, please.
Heresy Forum Rules -- Read them, damnit!
Reporting: When/How/Why -- Read that too!
"...remember the Golden Rule: Chill out, they're only plastic spacemen!" -Brother Jazzman
"Galahad is 100% correct in his explanation. Anyone who says otherwise to [him] is vastly mistaken." -The Wraithlord
"You know what? Fuck DC comics." -Robert Downey Junior

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode