My armies are crap...need advice for a new primary. - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-20-15, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

madcore's Flag is: Canada

Default My armies are crap...need advice for a new primary.

Hey Guys,

I have been out of the hobby for a little while, I was sincerely pissed at GW for fucking up both my CSM and imperial guards with their power Codex like Necrons and Eldars...Just my opinion.

Now I am still pissed but I miss playing with my friends so i decided to start again but slowly. I have been a long time player of CSM and Imperial guards. As we all know, both of these armies are not very competitive anymore. Chaos is chaos, an army too expensive with no good transports while maelstrom is not very gentle on the Guards. While I still love both of my armies, I am getting tired of always fighting an uphill battle so I am looking for a new primary army.

While I wait for my codex to be re-written (might be a while) I was thinking about putting together a new army. And this one needs to be a strong one. My Meta is loaded with Necrons and as you can imagine, my love for armored company was crushed big time. The idea would be to start small, play my guards with these guys as new allies and eventually play these guys with my guards as allies.

Here are the conditions:

- Cannot be Eldars or Necrons (I sold my Eldar and my meta is loaded with Necrons)
- Needs to be a competitive army

For those of you that would suggest Marines, which ones? I already have a small (very small) contingent of Grey Knights, space wolves and Dark angels (starter box)..

That being said, I am open to starting any other chapter...I just have no knowledge of the Space marines and have not yet read their codex (any of them).

Thx for the help guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-20-15, 02:15 PM

neferhet's Flag is: Italy

As of current codexes space marines (codex astartes) can be very competitive and dark angels are joicy too.
If you want some "easy" and powerful army, tau are still good, otherwise a daemonic flying circus is a nice army to have, just like some fancy marines scout list (not bad at all).
However i'd just suggest eldar or necrons (i know, i know...)
Grey knights are meh. (competitively speaking)
Otherwise just fuck the shit up and make youself an army of imperial knights. (3 knights, inquisition allied with some centurion shenanigans, 1850 pts sweet as cheese.)
Boom, bitches!

The Legion of Perfects Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux View Post
The calls of Slaneesh stir so deeply within me, as if I was birthed from the very essence of it. For my ambition to infinitely ascend above all is never ending, like fire within it burns me to ever cindering ash. Lord of light and ascension is who I am, realities burn to ash at my very passing. My luminescence is unparalleled for I am luminosity itself, all light is but a shadow of my silhouette
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-20-15, 03:32 PM
Spored to be Wild

morfangdakka's Flag is: USA

Have you considered Chaos Daemons. It would be something that could be used with your chaos warband or you could go straight daemons.
Fateweaver
2x Heralds of Tzeentch Level 3 Discs, and Exalted Reward
2x Herald of Nurgle Level 2, Greater Reward (one Locus of Fecundity)
10 Pink Horrors
11 Pink Horrors
2x 8 Screamers
8 Plague Drones with Venom Sting, and Champion with a Greater Reward

Red Orc
"Ahh, isn't Morfang sweet, like a great big 350-pound (that's 25 stone, UK users!) ball of cuddly death...?"

God, gives children to people so that death won't seem so disappointing.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-20-15, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by morfangdakka View Post
Have you considered Chaos Daemons. It would be something that could be used with your chaos warband or you could go straight daemons.
Fateweaver
2x Heralds of Tzeentch Level 3 Discs, and Exalted Reward
2x Herald of Nurgle Level 2, Greater Reward (one Locus of Fecundity)
10 Pink Horrors
11 Pink Horrors
2x 8 Screamers
8 Plague Drones with Venom Sting, and Champion with a Greater Reward
Oh I though about it, I already have a few deamon and I like the models...DO you mind talking about how you play this type of list?

How about the heralds of nurgle with Plague drones, that one seams a bit weird in terms of movement.
Also would you feel confident running into necrons with a list like that?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-20-15, 07:32 PM

Lord of Lustria's Flag is: USA

yes you should play chaos daemons! Stay with the powers of darkness and let the galaxy burn! In all seriousness my friend plays chaos daemons and he wins 40k tournaments all the time so they seem pretty competitive.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-20-15, 07:39 PM
Entropy Fetishist

Mossy Toes's Flag is: USA

I imagine you can string out the Plague Drones as far as you need to for the salower Heralds, then whenever you make an assault you slingshot the Heralds back to the heart of the combat with pile in moves. The list is a dual deathstar (or even triple, though one Screamer unit won't get Grimoire, if you roll well enough on HoT powers) of sorts, and it's placed pretty highly in tourneys lately: Screamerstar plus Dronestar, buffed, massaged and tweaked by Fateweaver where necessary. It'll dominate the psychic phase, has good mobility, and it has the option to branch out into summoning to cover ground and objectives--but isn't invested in MSU if kill points rear their ugly head.

I imagine it would struggle pretty hard against the newly released MSU Space Marine competitive lists, though--I dunno if it would be able to spawn summoned squads fast enough to counteract all that ObSec, or have enough anti-tank to clear all those Razorbacks/Drop Pods.

I haven't heard about how competitive the AdMech are, but you may be able to proxy Guard as them to a degree. Sentinels as Ballistarii, Kasrkin (or even guardsmen) as Skitarii, etc. They seem like quite the glass cannon (except for the Kataphron and the Kastellan units), but may well be worth it--especially that formation where every single unit upgrade you buy is free.

CSM Plog, Tactica

What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator! Imperator!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-21-15, 10:33 PM
alt-f4's Flag is: Belgium

I would go for Daemons too, regarding CSM, or Inquisition/Grey Knights regarding AM : firstly as Allied detachments, aiming for CAD in the future. This would give some more diversity to your current armies, and maybe some more punch/surprise to your army lists.

You would then have two strong forces (one renegade, one loyalist) which could be adapted to the current and future sets of rules ;)

The Serrated Flame : a First Heretics army

- Primordial Truth is Humanity's only salvation -
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-21-15, 11:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alt-f4 View Post
I would go for Daemons too, regarding CSM, or Inquisition/Grey Knights regarding AM : firstly as Allied detachments, aiming for CAD in the future. This would give some more diversity to your current armies, and maybe some more punch/surprise to your army lists.

You would then have two strong forces (one renegade, one loyalist) which could be adapted to the current and future sets of rules ;)
I already have a dreadknight draigo amd a squad of paladin...

I was also tempted by the new space marine formations....I could go for deamon and space marines...punching both my other armies at the same time.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-21-15, 11:26 PM
Spored to be Wild

morfangdakka's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcore View Post
Oh I though about it, I already have a few deamon and I like the models...DO you mind talking about how you play this type of list?

How about the heralds of nurgle with Plague drones, that one seams a bit weird in terms of movement.
Also would you feel confident running into necrons with a list like that?
Not sure how it works exactly I got the list from nick nanavati that won a couple of big tournaments with the list. It is a list I have been thinking of compiling. It seems like the drones are mainly there to distraction, sacrificial units reading his battle reports about the army.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy Toes View Post
I imagine you can string out the Plague Drones as far as you need to for the salower Heralds, then whenever you make an assault you slingshot the Heralds back to the heart of the combat with pile in moves. The list is a dual deathstar (or even triple, though one Screamer unit won't get Grimoire, if you roll well enough on HoT powers) of sorts, and it's placed pretty highly in tourneys lately: Screamerstar plus Dronestar, buffed, massaged and tweaked by Fateweaver where necessary. It'll dominate the psychic phase, has good mobility, and it has the option to branch out into summoning to cover ground and objectives--but isn't invested in MSU if kill points rear their ugly head.

I imagine it would struggle pretty hard against the newly released MSU Space Marine competitive lists, though--I dunno if it would be able to spawn summoned squads fast enough to counteract all that ObSec, or have enough anti-tank to clear all those Razorbacks/Drop Pods.

I haven't heard about how competitive the AdMech are, but you may be able to proxy Guard as them to a degree. Sentinels as Ballistarii, Kasrkin (or even guardsmen) as Skitarii, etc. They seem like quite the glass cannon (except for the Kataphron and the Kastellan units), but may well be worth it--especially that formation where every single unit upgrade you buy is free.
Mossy seems to have a good idea how the army works.

Red Orc
"Ahh, isn't Morfang sweet, like a great big 350-pound (that's 25 stone, UK users!) ball of cuddly death...?"

God, gives children to people so that death won't seem so disappointing.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-22-15, 11:59 AM

Stephen_Newman's Flag is: United Kingdom

If you still like Guard I could suggest taking Elysians. I use the D-99 Vets list found in IA 4 Second Edition and the massed plane spam certainly is fun to use. Especially since FW fixed (Read broke) the way flyers DS. Plus Vector Dancer Vultures.

I have recently started a new Blog. I would really appreciate it if you would LOOK AT IT

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode