Horus Heresy Book V - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-03-15, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Vaz

Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default Horus Heresy Book V

My copy of Book V has just arrived. I've had a small read through of the story today. It's better than KNF, and while I go through stages of KNF being poor/good in equal amounts, the actual battle of Calth on a meta scale and observed with a "gods eye view" is amazing, and just highlights exactly how well the Ultras did to effect a fightback and still come out as near victors, however Pyrrhic it was.

Oh. And if you have any questions, please ask away, fluff, or game related, and I'll try and answer. Other people with the book may ask as well.

Incidentally, my favourite unit are the Suzerains. Muhfucking Spartan/Praetorian Guard Ultras with big ass shields and power swords.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi Baji View Post
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
a rectum spectrum, if you will
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-03-15, 05:24 PM
Craw-Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
My copy of Book V has just arrived. I've had a small read through of the story today. It's better than KNF, and while I go through stages of KNF being poor/good in equal amounts, the actual battle of Calth on a meta scale and observed with a "gods eye view" is amazing, and just highlights exactly how well the Ultras did to effect a fightback and still come out as near victors, however Pyrrhic it was.

Oh. And if you have any questions, please ask away, fluff, or game related, and I'll try and answer. Other people with the book may ask as well.

Incidentally, my favourite unit are the Suzerains. Muhfucking Spartan/Praetorian Guard Ultras with big ass shields and power swords.

I agree with you analysis of KNF. I think it failed to show exactly how they were able to thwart off being surprised and off guard and nearly exterminated I must add. I feel like the focus was on how strong their resolve was. It basically made their weapons and strength so powerful that they were able to push away the traitors.

Anyhow. Could you add further detail in terms of what the Word Bearers did wrong and how the Ultramarines took advantage of those mistakes?

Also... of course. Any other interesting fluff would be cool too.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-03-15, 06:07 PM
JUGGERNUT

venomlust's Flag is: USA

What's the new WB Possessed Character/Unit like?

SUFFER NOT THE PONY TO LIVE.

- - AMATEUR KHORNESTAR: MY BLOG THING - -

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-03-15, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Vaz

I'll spoiler it, because, well, spoilers.

The possessed unit is pretty fucking awesome, but don't expect to be fielding massed armies of it. Basically, they're not a unit, they are a pair of Ultra Gal Vorbak, who can only be taken with a special Diabolist type character (a Diabolist is a special requisite character for Word Bearers) who is able to make possession much more powerful for your units. He himself is a bit naff as a combat character; a Force Staff/maul means he is only AP4, but he also carries a banner which makes your WB units pretty good at sweeping (helpful, considering you get bonuses for sweeping in addition to this) and gives you a 1 shot heavy flamer, and is a Mastery 2 Psyker with Malefic Access (only one available to Legion lists outside of Chaos Daemons). He lets you take Ashen Circle as troops and can let them Dark Channel (i.e become Daemons); and with the bonuses, essentially turns them into S6 Assault units (Ap2 with PAxes, AP6 otherwise).

He doesn't really make Ashen Circle game winners, but they're now actually viable, because who doesn't like WS5 S6 units with a S5 Hammer of Wrath that can Score? At 200pts for 5 MEQ's with only 1 attack base and no AP3 or better without paying extra? Ouch. No characters to join either.

What you take Layak for are the Blade Slaves. +1 Strength, Wound and Attack with IWND, Plasma Pistols, and Power Weapons which have a "rend" on a 5+ causing 2 wounds each meaning that they can rape things like Deathshroud or Firedrakes. With Rage as well, this means that for 275pts, you're putting out 12 WS5 S6 I5 AP3 Attacks with a "rend" and 3 WS5 S6 AP4 Force Attacks. They maul units, and with the help of something like Terminators, can rip apart elite enemy formations with comparative ease.

They're really good, and if you're wanting to do a Gal Vorbak army (you are wanting to do a Gal Vorbak army, because 4 units of Gal Vorbak and Layak with his Blade Slaves are pretty fucking awesome).

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Quote:
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-15, 03:53 AM

Einherjar667's Flag is: USA

I have never wanted to play 30k more. Awesome write up, thanks!!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-15, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Vaz

People really DGAF about this?

Quote:
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-15, 09:17 PM

Totaly do give.
Reading KNF right now about 75% done with it, what a page turner. Will read Tempest when moment allows it.
Can you play out all battles in thr book? Is there somekind of campaign in hh30k books ?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-10-15, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
Vaz

Yes. Books 1 and 2 have a true narrative of events to play out in game, as well as giving some basic rules of playing "generic" style 30K battles. The Battle Scenarios are linked, giving you bonuses for the next game depending on how well you do.

Book 3 really scales back the game, to let you play the game with less models, to represent hunting down the broken remainder of forces. These aren't so competitively balanced, more fun, 40 minute games to represent wounded, out of ammunition loyalists trying to take the fight to the hunting traitors.

Book 4 returns to a more epic scale of warfare, showcasing the minor terror/compliance campaigns waged following the legion massacres in order to pave the way to Terra, giving you rules on how to play campaigns with resources, which can be as simple as you need or want.

While Book 5 notonly brings back the truly linked narrative stories, but provides you with additional general game playing material expanding on the baseline of Book IV (but you don't need Book 4 to play Book 5).

You have the following lists;

Legiones Astartes (split into constituent chapters)
Ordo Reductor (very basic Mechanicum list intended primarily as allies)
Legio Cybernetica (more advanced Mechanicum list)
Taghmata Omnissiah (currently most advanced list for Mechanicum)
Knight Crusade (field Knight armies. Does not include updated rules yet for the most recent 40K Knight options, although it would be a harsh person in a friendly game to not let you use them)
Solar Auxilia (elite Space Marines-lite equipped with heavier than normal guard kit)
Imperial Militia (individually ultra weak Guard-likes which can be modified similar to old style doctrines into drug induced madmen, warp enhanced madmen, high tech soldiers, or balls to the wall hard as nails guardsmen)

I think that covers everything.

If you want to play Astartes (of course you do, it's the fucking Horus Heresy), then pick up the two Red books (LACAL and LAICL) and Book V. Book V isn't a necessity, but it includes the rules for the Deredeo, currently one of the most powerful AA units in the game. 72 is a lot to ask for just the rules to the one model you're really only going to realistically include/find room for in any list, but it's a pretty awesome book in general.

Quote:
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-10-15, 06:43 AM
Craw-Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
People really DGAF about this?
I know right? I do appreciate the fluff aspect.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-11-15, 02:52 AM

Einherjar667's Flag is: USA

I definitely appreciate these write ups Vaz!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode