WAGS and 40K - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-19-15, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
friar76's Flag is: England

Default WAGS and 40K

Hi all,

Little question form a fellow servant of the God Emperor:

I was planning a list for a game me and a mate will play for his birthday at warhammer world this coming friday, and my partner comes out with this little comment: 'you geek-plotting honey?'

For those of you lucky enough to have wives/ gf/ bf/ fiancees/ bromances/ etc who are also involved in the hobby this probably won't affect you (lucky lol)

For the rest of you with spouses/ partners who do not get involved in the hoby, do they ever tell you something that makes you want to 'face-palm' at their lack of intellect of the game, or genuine indifference to it?

Let us all know these little nuggets of Tzeentch- raging comments that will leave even the 'Greater Good' Tau turning to Khorne to wipe them from existence... or just sigh in acceptance, and apologising to the God- Emperor for their lack of understanding lol

Happy Gaming!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-19-15, 03:00 PM
Heresy Online's Pet Furby

Tawa's Flag is: Scotland

My Mrs isn't really all that arsed about Bolt Action or X-Wing.
And definitely not 40k or Fantasy.

I have managed to get her attention by picking up the Star Trek version of X-Wing.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace of Ultramar View Post
I think Tawa is a temporal entity that exists outside of the hobby/modeling timeline. Essentially, he's the Heresy Online equivalent of a Time Lord... which is kinda hilarious and frightening all at the same time.
"God-Emperor? Calling him a god was how all this mess started."
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-19-15, 04:03 PM

My one is normally a friend comes over with his sisters kids (who he has started up with the game as well) and she will loudly yawn away in the corner of the room and chuckle at how involved I get in rules and army planning, or how intense I can be when rules lawyering. My normal reply to this is "I watch things you want to watch that I don't like. But at least you have the option of leaving the room without offending me." (sitting through Hunger Games was a chore I don't want to repeat) and that seemed to mean we have our space when it comes to stuff like that.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-19-15, 05:03 PM

LokiDeathclaw's Flag is: United Kingdom

My wife does not play 40k, Fantasy or any wargame but insists on seeing everything I paint, buy or plan to buy and frequently buys me kits! In fact my wife has brought a majority of my new SW models and actually persuaded me to start a High Elf army as she loved the models. The first game I had on my new table she wanted to see both armies set up and had a look at my mates army, asking questions about what was what! All in all I think I'm a lucky guy!

Loki Deathclaw's Great Company-https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/showthread.php?t=126454

High Elves Plog- Caledor Warhost-https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=154490
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-19-15, 05:31 PM
The Tinkerer

Wookiepelt's Flag is: United Kingdom

My wife simply shakes her head, rolls her eyes and leaves me to get on with it... until it's time for me to: do some house chores/set the dinner table/deal with the laundry/deal with the kids (delete as appropriate), then she gets crossed () if I continue. Simple rules which if not broken then we're all good!

Don't leave us engineers with too much free time on our hands...
we WILL tinker around and build something!!!

Wookie's Wolfies - A Space Wolves Project Log
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-19-15, 06:14 PM
StormBringer328's Flag is: USA

My lady doesn't get involved often, though she has played Orks in an apoc game a budy and I did. She doesn't give me shit about what I buy (within reason), and thinks I'm the best modeler/greenstuffer/painter in the land (though I know I'm not lol). She enjoys when I go hang with the guys and even encourages it. When we play at our house she makes everyone food and gets in on the conversations that always turn dirty. I feel lucky that my interests are not only tolerated, but encouraged. Once in a while she'll even ask to paint a model... or ask to use my paints to do her nails haha.

Jehnna: I suppose nothing hurts you.
Conan: Only pain.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-19-15, 06:27 PM
Spored to be Wild

morfangdakka's Flag is: USA

My new girlfriend thought it was nerdy/dorky for me to play with little toy army men and gave me crap about it playing with my little 'toys'. I said ok I'll stop playing with my toys but I'm going out getting drunk and getting a hooker for the night but don't worry honey I'll use a condom with the hooker. Suddenly my toys didn't seem bad at all. I have even started teaching her son how to play the game and build his Necorns since he loves robots. I even convinced her to try building a wood elves army. She does love my painting and watching my army come together. Now she wants to go and watch me play a game. So slowly I am converting her.

Red Orc
"Ahh, isn't Morfang sweet, like a great big 350-pound (that's 25 stone, UK users!) ball of cuddly death...?"

God, gives children to people so that death won't seem so disappointing.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-20-15, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
friar76's Flag is: England

One very clear reason I cannot wait to have children! Teach them the lore of 40k (when they are old enough). My nephew has taken an interest, but is obsessed with cricket at present, so much he plays county, so I will wait until the off season, then introduce him to the grimdark!

As for my wife, she does encourage me to paint/ make my models, but there is a rule, no buying more until I have finished what I have bought. Which is fine, as I buy one, make one, technically it follows the rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by morfangdakka View Post
My new girlfriend thought it was nerdy/dorky for me to play with little toy army men and gave me crap about it playing with my little 'toys'. I said ok I'll stop playing with my toys but I'm going out getting drunk and getting a hooker for the night but don't worry honey I'll use a condom with the hooker. Suddenly my toys didn't seem bad at all
Totally agree with this, I always use this as an alternative- 'would you prefer me to be a drunkard and hand around lusty women all evening, rather than my fellow wargaming fellows discussing tactics and bantering over a well-placed lance strike?'
End result: me-1, wife-0

It is also very satisfying to find out I had a very old school frienc who enjoyed the hobby years ago, and during a conversation find out we both have armies, but have never fought each other- cue excitement and instant trips to Warhammer World at the weekend
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-20-15, 04:20 PM
StormBringer328's Flag is: USA

At the game shop the other night, close to closing, someone asked the group if anyone wanted to go to the strip club. We were all said in unison, "rather buy x model than waste it on a woman who won't put out' o.O haha

Jehnna: I suppose nothing hurts you.
Conan: Only pain.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-21-15, 04:59 AM
Critique for da CriticGod

Kreuger's Flag is: USA

Nah all's good here. The Mrs doesn't play but is aware of the hobby, and has painted a few miniatures.

We both work and are in grad school so time is the real limiting factor. I haven't played in many years, and I haven't painted almost anything since I started school. She's generally good humored about it, not terribly interested, but not rude either.

Chaos Army Showcase with photos (Updated 2013/12/02)
"To endure one's self is perhaps the hardest task in the universe." Frank Herbert, 'Dune Messiah'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethklokk
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the ill-prepared.

Originally Posted by Deathscythe4722
Could someone please call the police on this guy? I can hear the English Language screaming in pain. This has to be illegal somewhere.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode