WAGS and 40K - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-21-15, 01:51 PM
StormBringer328's Flag is: USA

My Mrs has become more open to being involved over the years. Going on 8 years together. First few years she called them 'toy soldiers' or 'dollies' and kid me. Then she started painting things just to see what it was like and started to enjoy doing that. Taught her why cleaning mold lines was important and now she'll help me clean big kits so I can finish quickly. This year was the first time I got her to play - my buddy and his girl, so we did girls (Orks) vs Boys apoc. She didn't know the rules, but we just coached her through and she had fun enough when her boyz mob killed Typhus! Just takes time and an army she can connect with if she is inclined. My lady loves the craziness of the Orks.

Jehnna: I suppose nothing hurts you.
Conan: Only pain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-21-15, 09:23 PM
Heresy Online's Pet Furby

Tawa's Flag is: Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormBringer328 View Post
My lady loves the craziness of the Orks.
Orks were way more fun back in the early days.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace of Ultramar View Post
I think Tawa is a temporal entity that exists outside of the hobby/modeling timeline. Essentially, he's the Heresy Online equivalent of a Time Lord... which is kinda hilarious and frightening all at the same time.
"God-Emperor? Calling him a god was how all this mess started."
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-22-15, 01:18 AM

Oh, I agree. That is when she started liking them most. Haven't even got the new codex yet to really get a feel for their current incarnation. That's actually disappointing to hear, as I was thinking about getting her a proper force worked out after I finished getting my CSM and Space Wolves sorted

post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-27-15, 11:35 AM

Moonschwine's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by friar76 View Post
Hi all,

Little question form a fellow servant of the God Emperor:

I was planning a list for a game me and a mate will play for his birthday at warhammer world this coming friday, and my partner comes out with this little comment: 'you geek-plotting honey?'

For those of you lucky enough to have wives/ gf/ bf/ fiancees/ bromances/ etc who are also involved in the hobby this probably won't affect you (lucky lol)

For the rest of you with spouses/ partners who do not get involved in the hoby, do they ever tell you something that makes you want to 'face-palm' at their lack of intellect of the game, or genuine indifference to it?

Let us all know these little nuggets of Tzeentch- raging comments that will leave even the 'Greater Good' Tau turning to Khorne to wipe them from existence... or just sigh in acceptance, and apologising to the God- Emperor for their lack of understanding lol

Happy Gaming!
GF often comments on how she's an enabler of my hobbies. Its also often hard to explain to her that I would like a Titan more than a fancy watch. I think one of the problems is that I can support myself, lifestyle and hobbies compared to when I was younger and 40k stuff all came in big lots of Christmas and Birthday presents. Originally my GF and I used to butt-heads alot over my hobbies, especially since I tend to go to clubs on Sunday afternoons.

Eventually we realized that alot of it stems from the fact that she, like many modern women, are brought up with deluded perceptions that men should only wear suits and like things like cars, boats and cufflinks and are incapable of being happy and expressive without buying something like a Ferrari, Superbike, Speedboat or a G6.

If I work it out, I spend about 400 a year on my war-gaming hobbies, which is roughly 1 or 2 things every month, though it also covers things like spray cans, IPA/Acetone, new brushes etc etc. From that I get about 20+ hours of entertainment out of most model items from unboxing to basing - on the high end of the scale this is nearly a full month. This excludes game time though since I don't play very often.

It used to annoy me that my GF would complain about my spending and miniature painting, until I eventually shot the remark out that she spends about 2000 a year getting her dyed to impress people who don't give a crap, drinks around another 2000 of booze over the year to pretend to enjoy the company of said people and has literally zero hobbies of interest beyond not being able to dance with the crowd of people who don't care in the first place. Or that she buys a 30 dress/jeans/useless item at least every week because feels like it. At that point she had a bit of an epiphany that my wargaming hobbies, video gaming hobbies and interest in RPG's probably aren't the "out there" things.

Inspiring Quote:

"Ambition is the biggest killer of Momentum"

Active Projects:

The Catechized

Starting afresh with my Chaos Space Marines.

Project Log Link (Placeholder) -

Project Rebuild, Reboot, Recycle:

Stripping, rebuilding and remaking my Guard army.
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-27-15, 04:21 PM
Spored to be Wild

morfangdakka's Flag is: USA

Quote:
My lady loves the craziness of the Orks.
"I don't always play her orks but when I do. It is to get the Mrs. all hot bothered and in the mood for crazy stuff. "

I like the craziness of orks as well and they aren't bad this edition but they aren't great either. Now third edition they rocked. Choppas made all armor saves 4+, lootas could take sniper rifles and looted vehicles retained most of their original shooting ability for cheaper than the what the original army could take them.

Still if she loves them and loves playing with them there are some interesting builds in the current edition. Like the double CAD with 5 warboss on bikes all with power klaws or adding weirdboyz to tankbusta units. The big mek with Shokk Attack gun is loads of fun and craziness. So when she is ready Morfangdakka's big stompa Mob is always here to help.

Red Orc
"Ahh, isn't Morfang sweet, like a great big 350-pound (that's 25 stone, UK users!) ball of cuddly death...?"

God, gives children to people so that death won't seem so disappointing.
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-27-15, 04:42 PM

@ morfangdakka - LMAO Nothing gets her wanting more than when I talk like an ORK... (this isn't the place for such talk!)

It was actually the metal model I have of the Shokk Attacj Gun and the explanation of how it works (teleporting grots) that made her fall in love with the Greenskins. He. Way it's sucking up little guys and the way one is trying to avoid being turned into a projectile lol. She wants an army of grots and a while ago I won an auction of about 60 metal ones with the intention of doing a lot of conversions with them at her request. She doesn't really get the rules of the game, but when we play she tells me what she wants to do and I translate it. Just the fact that she shows interest is good enough for me. Let's me get away with my army projects without getting stink eye.

It's nice to have a woman who not only appreciates my interest, but finds her own slight enjoyment out of it as well.

I get crap from some of the guys because we aren't married but have been together going on 8 years, but we both have weird views on what marriage means in this day and age. She has a ring on her finger and we act married obviously, but we just do what works for us I guess.

post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-27-15, 05:19 PM

Nice guys,my wife tells me how much she hates the hobby on a regular basis! She especially wasn't too chuffed my 7 year old son has just started a dark angels army !
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-27-15, 06:20 PM
Heresy Online's Pet Furby

Tawa's Flag is: Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooday218 View Post
Nice guys,my wife tells me how much she hates the hobby on a regular basis! She especially wasn't too chuffed my 7 year old son has just started a dark angels army !
Boom. Headshot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace of Ultramar View Post
I think Tawa is a temporal entity that exists outside of the hobby/modeling timeline. Essentially, he's the Heresy Online equivalent of a Time Lord... which is kinda hilarious and frightening all at the same time.
"God-Emperor? Calling him a god was how all this mess started."
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-27-15, 06:28 PM

What makes her hate it so much, wooday218? The cost factor can be understandable, but I don't understand the ladies being chuffed about spending a few nights in a month hanging with buddies. And it seems a perfectly reasonable thing to do with your son.

My ex-girlfriend, before I met my current life partner, was hostile toward me about gaming and it never made sense to me. She spent more on clothing in a given month than I did on gaming, spent more time going out with the girls than I did hanging with gaming friends (let alone that cost), etc. Glad that didn't work out for more reasons than my hobby interests...

post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-27-15, 07:18 PM

Moonschwine's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
My ex-girlfriend, before I met my current life partner, was hostile toward me about gaming and it never made sense to me. She spent more on clothing in a given month than I did on gaming, spent more time going out with the girls than I did hanging with gaming friends (let alone that cost), etc. Glad that didn't work out for more reasons than my hobby interests...
This happened to me alot when I was younger.

I think it's something to do with bragging rights and gossip. My old girlfriend used to have a friend who would constantly bang on about how amazing her boyfriends were / how interesting they are etc etc. It sort of became a bit of a pissing contest between them but she always lost on the comparative hobbies front because apparently me playing with toy soldiers was embarrassing for her to explain. Eventually it spilled over into other things; gaming, rpgs and even the kind of TV I watched like anime and what not; yet all she'd want to do would be to watch god-damn reality TV like Strictly Come Dancing or X-Factor and drink "vino" on weekends, which frankly sounds like hell to me.

Eventually we went in different directions but I laugh now because she had a kid to some guy who ran off with her friend and her son now plays Warhammer

My friend has the same problem with his brother and sisters / family friends who see him working on that stuff. I went to his wedding and every time I met some one new it was always "did you know he plays with toys." Like he was somehow handicapped or something.

Inspiring Quote:

"Ambition is the biggest killer of Momentum"

Active Projects:

The Catechized

Starting afresh with my Chaos Space Marines.

Project Log Link (Placeholder) -

Project Rebuild, Reboot, Recycle:

Stripping, rebuilding and remaking my Guard army.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode