Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Versus: Wraithknights

6K views 54 replies 16 participants last post by  MidnightSun 
#1 · (Edited)
A thread in which we try to allay the fears of big damn robots ruining everyone's game. A few things to remember that a few people have gotten confused about or simply forgotten:

1. Gargantuan Creatures automatically have Feel No Pain, but not It Will Not Die. I myself was guilty of thinking that this was a thing until recently.
2. The Wraithknight does not get an Invulnerable *and* a ranged Destroyer weapon - it has to choose between ranged Destroyer or the Shield.
3. While it does have 12" move unhindered by cover for being a Jump Gargantuan Creature and has Move Through Cover, it does not ignore the Initiative Penalty for charging through terrain with it's large base.
4. Gargantuan Creatures are only wounded on 6s by Poison and Sniper weapons, but any other fixed value wounding will still work; Deathmarks, Fleshbane, Agonisers if they still work how they did in the old book; 'Unstoppable' does not give you blanket defence from fixed to wound rolls. Also, they're not quite immune to Instant Death; they just take large amounts of wounds instead of rolling over and dying straight away. Sure, it's not as good, but if you can Instant Death then do so. Works for Fantasy, works for 40k.
5. While Eldar can have a considerable number of psychic dice, they don't have access to psychic defence from Psychic Hoods, and so getting Maledictions through is surprisingly easy. Gargantuans are no longer immune to psychic powers, if you're a grognard like me who remembers that being a thing.

Adepta Sororitas: You know the drill - throw mountains of Str8 AP1 at the problem. If it goes away, gravy. If it doesn't, you die horribly. Business as usual.

Astra Militarum: Lascannons with Fire On My Target/Bring It Down, Vendettas, the Paskisher, Plasma Vets if you're really stuck. Huge potential from Psychic Powers; Misfortune and FRFSRF or a charge will give a WK a really hard time, Enfeeble from Wyrdvanes can make it a lot more manageable etc.

Blood Angels: Similar to Sisters, fire lots of Meltas but you can also bring Lascannons and Stormravens with their Meltas and Missiles to mix it up a bit. You can try and torrent an already-wounded one in combat due to Str5 on the charge. Power Fists and their ilk going to Str9 on the charge can do some considerable damage. Access to Divination means you can get Misfortune and do that old trick, albeit to a lesser extent because Bolters aren't as numerous as Lasguns (on the other hand, it also works in melee, so charging in with Death Company with Astorath to give them Shred or something similar could be an amusing counter).

Chaos Space Marines: Try and rush it with Maulerfiends? Blastmaster spam? Fuck, I don't know. Sorry guys. Black Mace Daemon Prince will fuck up a Wraithknight royally but you're gonna have to land, not die, and still be able to catch it afterwards. Still, a lot of sass points if you actually do it.

Chaos Daemons: Daemonettes are the name of the game here, but most of the Greater Daemons can at least chip a few wounds off. Plaguebearers only wound on 6s, but that's better than not wounding at all. Use Malefic, summon up a bunch of Daemonettes, profit. Tarpit with Grimoire-augmented units and hope for bad Stomp rolls.

Dark Angels: Hammernators and Deathwing Knights. Rad Grenade Launchers and/or Misfortune from your Divination access followed by Bolters R Us or Plasma Talons from your Bikers/LRCs and Black Knights. Charging it with Corvus Hammers is stupid enough that it might actually work. Rad Grenades are gonna be pretty central to the plan here since they're a really nice debuff (double points if you get an Allied Enfeeble to make it T6).

Dark Eldar: Poison only wounding on 6s is a bummer, but when you're firing 120 shots a turn you can still push some through. Use those bajillion Dark Lances you have to chip away at it. Charge with Caltrop Reavers for sass points. Grotesques with Flesh Gauntlets would be hilarious if you rolled lucky.

Eldar: What the fuck are you doing reading this? Bladestorm, Warp Spiders and Wraith-guys, you're super fine.

Grey Knights: Daemonhammers are your go-to here, probably on Dreadknights for the mobility (WS5 and Sanctuary means you can even have a go at the Sword and Board Wraithknights if you feel gutsy), but your entire army works. Hammerhand up (Halberds being useful, who'd have thought!?) and Force away. Psycannons will eventually chip wounds away but probably not worth doing. Vortex of Doom if that's a thing. Soul Glaive will make them have a big sad with Hammerhand up.

Harlequins: Fog of Dreams, Laugh of Sorrows, Mask of Secrets; Armour of Misery, Dominate and Psychic Shriek from Allied dudes. Do your usual leadership shenanigans and laugh at the silly Craftworlders.

Imperial Knights: If they have the Wraithcannons, charge at the earliest opportunity. If they have the Suncannon, laugh in the Eldar player's face and make him try and charge you through cover. If they have the Sword and Board, try and stick to cover to make him strike at I1 so you can punk him before he swings and does it to you. The one time you bring a Magaera and it gets a wound through with it's Rad-Cleanser is an occasion worthy of song. Still not a real faction.

Khorne Daemonkin: Bloodthirsters are probably all you've got, although gunning for lucky 6s on Bloodletters is a reasonable plan if you can reach melee. If Skulltaker still does his Brutal Legend decapitation thing, worth a shot.

Necrons: Lychguard with Scythes (make sure you pop that Solar Staff when you get out of the Night Scythe so you don't die before you hit combat), Tesla Destructors, massed Warriors, Flayed Ones if you can get them Furious Charge from Zahndrekh, Deathmarks using their Interception thing to get Fleshbane, Wraiths, massed Warrior fire if you need to take the last wound or two off.

Orks: Klaws, Lootas, Klaws, Mega-Kannons, Klaws, Big Choppas, Klaws, Tankbustas. Charge with Bully Boyz and wreck it with Killsaws (sure, you'll lose some to the WK's swings, but considering StrD is actually less deadly for Meganobz than Str10 is, you're not going to lose a whole squad since you're WS5 and you don't need many Str9 AP2 attacks to make a WK have a sad). Shokk Attack Guns if you have loaded dice.

Space Marines: Grav Centurions, Hammernators, Lysander, Biker Chapter Master, Misfortune/Enfeeble from Tiggy/Loth, Grav-Guns on Bikes or in Pods. Grav makes you probably the second or third best army set for killing a WK after Eldar themselves.

Space Wolves: Thunderwolf Cavalry is probably the way to go. Wraithknight will struggle with Storm Shields without rolling lucky 6s and you can mess them up pretty good with massed Rending and Str10 Power Fists. Charge it with Blizzard Shield Dreadnoughts if that works for a laugh.

Tau: Monster Hunter HYMP and massed Railguns/Fusion Blasters. Storm of Fire and Fireblade with some Markerlights if you've stopped giving a shit. You really, really aren't going to struggle.

Tyranids: Anything with a lot of attacks and Rending Claws, Toxicrene for a funny and reasonably legit counter, massed Implant Attack if you feel lucky, Boneswords if you can roll 6s. Paroxysm taking it down to WS1 BS1 is amusing. Swarmlord with some Tyrant Guard to take the D for him should might do it if you can get Furious Charge or Preferred Enemy or something. Gargoyles with Blinding Venom.

See less See more
#3 ·
Yeah, Chaos isn't in a great place. Obliterators or Predators with Lascannons do the job but too slowly; a Crimson Slaughter Sorceror with the Divination Relic for Misfortune is good if you can get it; Noise Marines with Blastmasters again, will take too many rounds of shooting for me to say they're a 'good' counter; and Chaos melee units aren't *really* up for the job most of the time. Maulerfiends could do it, I think, especially with Lasher Tendrils taking the Wraithknight down to only two attacks, but throwing walkers at a higher Initiative and Weapon Skill opponent with a Destroyer close combat weapon is dicey at best (if it has the Wraithcannons or Suncannon then go nuts, you should be able to kill it in short order).

#6 ·
So the Chaos plan is bubblewrap and spank.

If we can catch it.

#8 ·
I wonder if there's a good way to telegraph that as an army dynamic?

Use cultists as the anchors and the high mobility, high impact characters/units to respond to threats?

#9 ·
Chaos Space Marines: Try and rush it with Maulerfiends? Blastmaster spam? Fuck, I don't know. Sorry guys. Black Mace Daemon Prince will fuck up a Wraithknight royally but you're gonna have to land, not die, and still be able to catch it afterwards. Still, a lot of sass points if you actually do it.
Blastmasters only able to get up to one hit per turn makes that a dicey proposition (for a whole lotof points in support of fielding that one blasmaster). I've had to pull it a few times, and it takes most of my army's shooting (4-6 blastmasters, Forgefiend, maybe 2 Havoc squads) for several turns to get the Wraithknight down to a few wounds before the Wraithknight charges in and I get a lucky 6 to wound with my Sorcerer's Force Axe to ID it. That's how it's played out multiple times, honestly. And now the ID is only doing D3 wounds, so... the rest of the army shooting for a few turns to get that unreliable result is still necessary.

Alternatively I guess you could take 15 Havocs with 12 lascannons/missile launchers, alongside 15 Chosen with meltas/plasma guns, and just let that rip. You opponent will be killing those squads as fast as they can, but...

Rad Grenades are gonna be pretty central to the plan here since they're a really nice debuff (double points if you get an Allied Enfeeble to make it T6).
Speaking of Rad Grenades, I imagine an Inquisitor could pull the same. Plus, say, a Skitarii Vanguard squad in combat, supported by some sort of thunder hammer or power fist.

Mostly just having fun thinking about stacking T debuffs, but... I suppose it does point out to me that Skitarii are a thing, now, too. Ballistarii with lascannons, etc. Radium jezzails dealing 2 AP2 wounds on 6s to wound. Etc.

Last time I took one out I mobed it with Cultists and used two lords with a Powerfist to smash it. And as its not a Charitor it could not target the Lords within the 40+ Cultists that I had around it.

I think the same plan will have to be used going forward.
One things: Wraithknights have stomp now. So not only will they clear your cultists several times faster, if they roll a 6 while the template is on top of your Lord--poof!

"Hope that your opponent doesn't roll a 6 on Stomp or the D-table" is such a shitty survivability mechanic.

Chaos Daemons: Daemonettes are the name of the game here, but most of the Greater Daemons can at least chip a few wounds off. Plaguebearers only wound on 6s, but that's better than not wounding at all. Use Malefic, summon up a bunch of Daemonettes, profit. Tarpit with Grimoire-augmented units and hope for bad Stomp rolls.
One thing I want to try more is pairing Fiends with lower-I units: charging in, say, 2 Soul Grinders and some fiends for a lot of S10 attacks at I3 before the I1 Knight gets to strike. With only WS3, the Soul Grinders are hardly reliable against a fresh 'Knight, but... still might gets some wounds through. Agreed, though: Daemonettes and Seekers are the way to go, far and away. A Lord of Change with Staff of Change is a nice amount of S8 attacks--and any MC who rolled the "Fleshbane & Armorbane" Greater Reward.

Khorne Daemonkin: Bloodthirsters are probably all you've got, although gunning for lucky 6s on Bloodletters is a reasonable plan if you can reach melee. If Skulltaker still does his Brutal Legend decapitation thing, worth a shot.
Daemons having Fearless, not Daemonic Instability, helps tarpit it, Stomps aside. Flesh Hounds scouting up can get in its grill right off the bat (can still wound on 5s if you assault). Bike squads are less than a hundred points for 2 meltas... and you can bring a lot of those bike squads. Still, no good answers here. Though every one of your small MSU units that a Wraithknight destroys, they do give you a Blood Tithe point, as some small silver lining...

#12 ·
Blastmasters only able to get up to one hit per turn makes that a dicey proposition (for a whole lotof points in support of fielding that one blasmaster). I've had to pull it a few times, and it takes most of my army's shooting (4-6 blastmasters, Forgefiend, maybe 2 Havoc squads) for several turns to get the Wraithknight down to a few wounds before the Wraithknight charges in and I get a lucky 6 to wound with my Sorcerer's Force Axe to ID it. That's how it's played out multiple times, honestly. And now the ID is only doing D3 wounds, so... the rest of the army shooting for a few turns to get that unreliable result is still necessary.
Why would you shoot it if you were planning on Force Weapon-ing it?

Facetiousness aside, yeah, Chaos don't really have any particularly efficient guns for dealing with it. Ideally, you'd get Symphony of Pain, Misfortune and a squad of static Noise Marines but that's a combo requiring way too much random chance to be any good. On the other hand, Chaos have some of the better melee counters with Be'lakor and the Black Mace Prince both able to take on a Wraithknight without too many issues (Be'lakor is Fleshbane and Instant Death, right? If he is he is going to wreck a Wraithknight), possibly even if it has the Str D sword.

Alternatively I guess you could take 15 Havocs with 12 lascannons/missile launchers, alongside 15 Chosen with meltas/plasma guns, and just let that rip. You opponent will be killing those squads as fast as they can, but...
Yeah, but I'm trying to make a list of units you could build into your existing lists rather than re-writing your whole army to just be good at killing Gargantuan Creatures. Any army *can* easily kill a Wraithknight if you spend 2000pts on just ways of doing that, but then everything else kills you. It's just an unfortunate quirk that Chaos don't really have an efficient plug-in unit that can do the job brilliantly (although Maulerfiends with Lasher Tendrils are looking better when I think of them).

Speaking of Rad Grenades, I imagine an Inquisitor could pull the same. Plus, say, a Skitarii Vanguard squad in combat, supported by some sort of thunder hammer or power fist.

Mostly just having fun thinking about stacking T debuffs, but... I suppose it does point out to me that Skitarii are a thing, now, too. Ballistarii with lascannons, etc. Radium jezzails dealing 2 AP2 wounds on 6s to wound. Etc.
You can do it with Inquisitors or Vanguard, but the big deal for Dark Angels is being able to toss them out from 18" away rather than needing to get into combat. Charging into a Wraithknight is a lot riskier than debuffing and then killing it from range.

One things: Wraithknights have stomp now. So not only will they clear your cultists several times faster, if they roll a 6 while the template is on top of your Lord--poof!
This is true, but it's just as likely that the Wraithknight will roll badly and only get one blast or roll a 1 or something. Stomp is painful and clears out hordes for sure, but it's easy to overestimate.

"Hope that your opponent doesn't roll a 6 on Stomp or the D-table" is such a shitty survivability mechanic.
Eh, not much shittier than 'Hope your opponent doesn't roll a 6 on their Distort Weapons/Killchoppa/Rending Implant Attack/Shard of Anaris' which Monstrous Creatures of all stripes have had to deal with for ages, or 'Hope your opponent doesn't roll a 6 on their Cannon/Stone Thrower/Heroic Killing Blow' which is all that basically every Fantasy monster has to protect itself with.

One thing I want to try more is pairing Fiends with lower-I units: charging in, say, 2 Soul Grinders and some fiends for a lot of S10 attacks at I3 before the I1 Knight gets to strike. With only WS3, the Soul Grinders are hardly reliable against a fresh 'Knight, but... still might gets some wounds through. Agreed, though: Daemonettes and Seekers are the way to go, far and away. A Lord of Change with Staff of Change is a nice amount of S8 attacks--and any MC who rolled the "Fleshbane & Armorbane" Greater Reward.
Remember that not all, and I'd dare say not even most, Knights are getting Str D on their regular attacks since they give up all kind of shooting power for it - sure, they're a mean combat dude, but 300pts of not-shooting mean in a shooting army? I'm not really sure whether you'd want that over the 'waste two tanks/monstrous creatures out of cover per turn' or 'kill all Terminators ever' loadouts on a WK.

Yep, Str10 attacks and Fleshbane attacks are definitely the way to go, I think (you could add massed Deff Dreads as a comedy option for Orks). Daemonettes are totally a good way to deal with it though.

Daemons having Fearless, not Daemonic Instability, helps tarpit it, Stomps aside. Flesh Hounds scouting up can get in its grill right off the bat (can still wound on 5s if you assault). Bike squads are less than a hundred points for 2 meltas... and you can bring a lot of those bike squads. Still, no good answers here. Though every one of your small MSU units that a Wraithknight destroys, they do give you a Blood Tithe point, as some small silver lining...
Gotta say, I'm by no means experienced with Khorne Daemonkin other than a couple of games against them as Grey Knights so I'll bow to your knowledge here. I believe something in the book has a Str D combat weapon? Other than that, just pile in with a lot of dudes and hope for Decapitating Strikes.

#10 ·
"Bubble wrap and spank" as a general policy (Stomp 6s sniping characters with no recourse whatsoever aside) could be aided and abetted by the Helcult, honestly, for 2 large blocks of Fearless cultists for not too expensive, so that if you don't have a character nearby the 35 Cultists don't lose by a bunch, break, and get run down.

#11 ·
Be'lakor should still spank a wraithknight, yea? If the WK is otherwise the same but with GC rules I'm not sure anything would change in that fight

Nurgle mace prince as a cheaper alternative

Aside from those... as mentioned blobs of cultists with CC characters could do it. Certain units disgorged from a land raider will do some damage. Khorne termies with fists, for example. Abaddon.

How annoying that this thing costs less than 300 points. At least they nerfed the wave serpent, and can you only take one wraithknight per detachment?

#21 ·
Tyranids: Anything with a lot of attacks and Rending Claws, Toxicrene for a funny and reasonably legit counter, massed Implant Attack if you feel lucky, Boneswords if you can roll 6s. Paroxysm taking it down to WS1 BS1 is amusing. Swarmlord with some Tyrant Guard to take the D for him should might do it if you can get Furious Charge or Preferred Enemy or something. Gargoyles with Blinding Venom.
I respect what you are trying to do but as a long standing Tyranid player I am going to disagree with all of these options for the following reasons.

1. Rending claws are good against it. If they can reach it. As you mention it moves 12 inches a turn so most creatures with them are not even going to catch it. Those that can (like Raveners, Shrikes and Genestealers) are either likely to be shot down on the way in (depending on the rest of the Eldar army and the load out of said Wraithknight) or get instant killed when they start slapping it in close combat or finished off via stomp.

2. Toxicrenes are NOT a valid counter to Wraithknights. Even assuming it reaches said Knight (since it moves 6 inches a turn) it only wounds it on 6's (since it is poisoned 2+ and not fleshbane). Now whilst it gets a decent number of attacks to do this and inflicts D3 wounds per 6 it has a much lower initiative than the Knight and will probably get slapped up by it before it gets to strike.

3. Implant attack no longer exists in the current Tyranid book.

4. Boneswords suffer the same problem as rending claws as explained above.

5. Paroxysm as a power no longer reduces the target to WS and BS 1. It instead drops both by D3 and since Knights were WS5 last book (I am assuming this does not change) then the best I can get it down to would be WS2 and BS1. Also I cannot assume that I will be able to out-psyk an Eldar army since they both are roughly the same on power dice etc.

6. Swarmlord will not even get close to a Knight. I'm sorry but no competent Eldar player is gonna allow that thing anywhere near his Knight. Not to mention the Swarmlord himself is nearly the same points cost as the Knight in the first place.

Looking through the Nid book I have come to the conclusion that there is almost nothing that can deal with a Wraithknight because it will either get shot down/outmaneuvered before it gets a chance to do its thing. The best thing I reckon stands a chance is to get a Hierophant up against it. Then again I find it ridiculous I have to field a 1000 point monster (which is still not SD I might add) to even stand a very good chance of toppling a Wraithknight.

Again this is not a personal dig at you (It's not meant to) but there is literally almost nothing a Tyranid player can do to stand up against it.

#22 ·
Looking through the Nid book I have come to the conclusion that there is almost nothing that can deal with a Wraithknight because it will either get shot down/outmaneuvered before it gets a chance to do its thing. The best thing I reckon stands a chance is to get a Hierophant up against it. Then again I find it ridiculous I have to field a 1000 point monster (which is still not SD I might add) to even stand a very good chance of toppling a Wraithknight.
What about the Hierodule? I remember them being pretty nasty...

#24 ·
Simple, GW is a collectors hobby. Rules are there with prices to make the models(they are not toys, you play games with toys. These are not made for playing games but for telling story's).

Besides. Eldar ALWAYS gets this hype. They always are the best, cheesiest. Well unless Ultra Smurfs come out after them... oh wait I do believe they will be.

Solution.... more Heldrake-bell!

:p

#25 ·
I had a thought - would people be more willing to play against Wraithknights if they count as Escalation choices? I.e. give you +1 to Seize, the special Warlord Traits, and being worth additional VP for being wounded or killed?

That seems like it's a pretty reasonable way to make sure that people aren't getting stomped in every game, but also allows all the perfectly nice Eldar players who've spent a lot of time and money on their big robot to play games with them.

#28 · (Edited)
I have 2x 500 pt fantasy armys. Ogres(nobody loves a gnoblar) and Vampires. I dont "play" vampires though I play undead, as I feel the undead need to free themselves from the eternal yoke of tyranny the vampires bring.

For my ogres I field more gnoblars then most people field in a 1000-1500 point game. Minimal bulls, plenty of lead belchers!

The hoard truly is among us.

I dont much fancy elves, prefering armys where I can make junk into gold. I like the grots and gretchin, not so much the orks. I like the Chaos machines, soul grinders, heldrakes, nurglings spawn. I have a softspot for things that can be styled in a steampunk fashion and the drama of a good underdog / love story.

I play Khor--- Blood Angels (Flesh tearers) because I like the tragic tale of the death company. My favorite 40k was the Tyranids because they are the ultimate faith, where not one soul is cruel for crueltys sake... well maybe just because everyone needs to eat.

Players like me ruin the game for gamers. Alas Power Gamers ruined the game for me.

Cheers.

#29 ·
For the part about Ork Meganobs, it should be mentioned that a Wraithknight with Strength D rather than Strength 10 is pretty much the same thing when it comes to Instant Death, what with Strength D being counted as Strength 10 for the purposes of determining Instant Death.

#30 ·
It's better - a Str10 attack will take off two wounds, but a Str D attack might only take off one (wounds don't overspill from D).

Same with Ogryns, Paladins, Thunderwolves, Wraiths etc. (with the minor caveat that a 6 will ignore Invulns, which Meganobz don't have anyway). Of those, only Ogryns are actually a poor unit to fight a Wraithknight with, I think - Paladins can take off *roughly* three wounds with shooting assuming no buffs other than Prescience, and they'll wreck it in combat because they do that; Thunderwolves have a bunch of Rending attacks and then a bunch of Str10 AP2 attacks from their Power Fists/Hammers (does Concussive still do stuff to Gargantuans?); Wraiths have a load of high Initiative Rending attacks, a lot of mobility to catch a WK and can be given Shred to increase their chances of Rending or Reanimation Protocols to protect themselves from Instant Death (and, I believe, even the 6 result on the Stomp Table as it is 'removed from play' *not* Str D, and therefore doesn't deny Reanimation).

#33 ·
Necrons:Scarab swarms WITH Shield Lychguard. Shield bots to take up D HTH hits, which is why they aren't scythe bots, and Gauss Jaws! *budummmmmm*. Sure, they'll die to a 6 stomp, as will anything, but with Resurrection Protocol 5+ for a non-6, some will probably live. Maybe. :). Of course they'll have been razored down by the rest of the army, just cause of this.

#35 ·
You don't get reanimation for Destroyer and Removes from play now, not that I'm complaining from how good it is the rest of the time.

#37 ·
Is WraithKnight something the 'nid players just have to play around? Like, we don't target it, and we don't make any units that we need to survive in order to win? It'll just kill our necessary units, and so having no necessary units seems to be my only hope.

#38 ·
Depends on the exact rule. The Ranged Knight need to be Engaged with MCs, as it seems to not have D level HTH. The stomps will be dangerous, but it should fall to a trio of carnifexes before stomping can occur. The GlaiveKnight needs to be occupied by swarms or gaunts. Tervigon spam will be helpful here. Neurothropes and their Zoanthrope broods shoudl aslo be effective, though Psychic against Eldar is...iffy.

#39 ·
Psychic against Eldar is...iffy.
Considering that Eldar need to throw an average of 6 dice at a Psychic Shriek/Psychic Scream/Paroxysm if you're not casting against a Wraithknight, I don't know where the whole 'you can't cast spells against Eldar and Daemons' comes from (Grey Knights I understand since they have pretty excellent psychic defence if you're not casting Blessings or Conjurations, but Eldar and Daemons? Nah).

Against the Wraithknight with Tyranids, I'd want as much Rending as possible. Anything that can Instant Death on top of that is brilliant. Carnifexes would be good if you can get them into melee - preferably with Paroxysm to cut down on the amount of attacks you take before striking (only need to cast Paroxysm successfully, even with a 1 on the D3, to get hit on 4s instead of 3s, a huge bonus. If you roll a 3 and get hit on 5s, gra-vy). Gargoyles can try and do weight of wounds in a pinch, and Blinding it would be amusing if nothing else. Massed Boneswords are your fist-pump if you can get into melee.

#40 ·
Imagining a unit of three fexes is a good idea, how are they armed? If one or two have crushing claws and all other sets of weapons are devourers they might have a chance, but we're talking about a slow unit trying to pin down a fast unit that knows there probably isn't much else in the list that can harm it.

For simplicity, let's assume they're all dakkafexes. You might do something with the devourers and/or hammer of wrath but after getting into combat half of their attacks will miss, one third won't wound, and then one third will be saved by feel no pain. So 2.667 wounds. The devourers should do exactly one wound so that's 3.667 plus hammer of wrath if all three fexes get to shoot and charge. It's... alright. They might be able to finish it off next turn but it all involves everything going right for the nid player and the Eldar guy not killing any of the fexes or their supporting synapse unit/s before the charge happens

I've got an almost finished Tyranid army but I'm not going to spend more money on it to compete with Eldar. I'll hope my synapse web holds together, hurl gaunts at the knight and hope for the best. Bad stomp rolls perhaps. Otherwise take the loss if I have to play and avoid Eldar with wraithknights when I don't

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.