Sanctus reach campaign: suggested points? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-09-15, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

Default Sanctus reach campaign: suggested points?

I'm starting the red waaagh! with my guard player buddy and I'm going over the campaign scenarios, but they don't say anything about how large the armies should be. I have the PDF version. I understand that they must want us to "forge the narrative" but just giving a blanket number of points to each player doesn't seem right with all of the special rules involved. We've played other campaigns and those usually give each player a specific amount of points based off if what bonuses that player has in the scenarios.

Have any of you guys played this campaign yet or do you guys have an idea of the points limit for each scenario? I'm at a loss

Dear Lord the IG has tons of Dakka
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-09-15, 03:59 PM

neferhet's Flag is: Italy

hi, man.
Honestly, many of those engagements should be played at an apocalypse level.
Otherwise, i think that a differnt point value should be used in some missions, made even with stratagems or other bonuses given to the "disadvantaged" faction.
If this is not your style, i feel that the list should be at least 1850 pts (a tourney point level, that is)

IMHO, a lovely set up for the missions should be this:

1) (PLANETSTRIKE)Orks 3000 pts , Imperials 2000 + 2 stratagems and 2 fortifications free

2) (NORMAL GAME) Orks 2500 pts, Imperials 2500 pts, at least 1000 pts should be spent in Knights formations. (meaning at least 3 knights)

3) (NORMAL GAME) Orke & Imperials 1850pts

4) (NORMAL GAME) Orks & Imperials 2000 pts

5) (PLANETSTRIKE) Orks 3000 pts , Imperials 2000 pts + 2 stratagems, mandatory 2 bridges and impassable terrain dividing the map

6)(NORMAL GAME) Orks & Imperials 1500 pts

7) (PLANETSTRIKE) Orks & Imperials 1850 pts

8) (PLANETSTRIKE) Orks & Imperials 1500 pts

9) (PLANETSTRIKE) Orks & Imperials 1000 pts (honestly this battle is a skirmish compared to those before)

10) (i'd make this an Apocalyptic Planestrike, merging the two rules)
Ork & Imperials 3000 pts

11) (APOCALYPSE, again...if that battle is not apoclypse...) Ork & Imperials 5000 pts

I've not played the whole campaign, mind you. Just throwing my two cents

The Legion of Perfects Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux View Post
The calls of Slaneesh stir so deeply within me, as if I was birthed from the very essence of it. For my ambition to infinitely ascend above all is never ending, like fire within it burns me to ever cindering ash. Lord of light and ascension is who I am, realities burn to ash at my very passing. My luminescence is unparalleled for I am luminosity itself, all light is but a shadow of my silhouette
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-10-15, 02:35 AM Thread Starter

Thanks! I'll have to talk to my buddy and see what he'd like to do, but this sounds about right

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-18-15, 07:20 AM

Iraqiel's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by neferhet View Post
1) (PLANETSTRIKE)Orks 3000 pts , Imperials 2000 + 2 stratagems and 2 fortifications free

2) (NORMAL GAME) Orks 2500 pts, Imperials 2500 pts, at least 1000 pts should be spent in Knights formations. (meaning at least 3 knights)

3) (NORMAL GAME) Orke & Imperials 1850pts

4) (NORMAL GAME) Orks & Imperials 2000 pts

5) (PLANETSTRIKE) Orks 3000 pts , Imperials 2000 pts + 2 stratagems, mandatory 2 bridges and impassable terrain dividing the map

6)(NORMAL GAME) Orks & Imperials 1500 pts

7) (PLANETSTRIKE) Orks & Imperials 1850 pts

8) (PLANETSTRIKE) Orks & Imperials 1500 pts

9) (PLANETSTRIKE) Orks & Imperials 1000 pts (honestly this battle is a skirmish compared to those before)

10) (i'd make this an Apocalyptic Planestrike, merging the two rules)
Ork & Imperials 3000 pts

11) (APOCALYPSE, again...if that battle is not apoclypse...) Ork & Imperials 5000 pts
That looks awesome! I've been meaning to play this campaign since it came out but my ork playing friends all seem to leave before I get a chance... and I don't have any assembled imperial knights. I think the sizes that you suggest will be suitable for the scale of the campaign to feel right and the time for the games... though I personally would try the mission eleven game at more like 10000 points aside.

Iraqiel

Check out my Imperial Guard Battle-Group-in-the-making as it slowly takes form! Located just here:
https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...my&army_id=705

And my collection of all things - particularly Grey Knights; Guard and Adeptus Mechanicus: https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=129966
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-18-15, 09:01 AM

Thanks Iraquiel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iraqiel View Post
though I personally would try the mission eleven game at more like 10000 points aside.
More than 10000? WOW! I'd never be able to finish such a game! Also, if i understand correctly, the last battle should be bigger, correct? From the story, at least, i get that idea...If you make that 10.000 you should make 12000 pts the last one but that..is madness!! If you do that, we need pictures!

Quote:
The calls of Slaneesh stir so deeply within me, as if I was birthed from the very essence of it. For my ambition to infinitely ascend above all is never ending, like fire within it burns me to ever cindering ash. Lord of light and ascension is who I am, realities burn to ash at my very passing. My luminescence is unparalleled for I am luminosity itself, all light is but a shadow of my silhouette
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-18-15, 01:02 PM

Iraqiel's Flag is: Australia

Unfortunately, my ork friends would have to team up and fly up to Darwin to manage that, but I'll see if I can do an army shot of the Imperial Guard once I've finished my heavy weapons guys and my support vehicles force.

10000 a side is going to be a battle over a weekend and possibly the next weekend as well... but I reckon it'd totally be worth it!

Iraqiel

Check out my Imperial Guard Battle-Group-in-the-making as it slowly takes form! Located just here:
https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...my&army_id=705

And my collection of all things - particularly Grey Knights; Guard and Adeptus Mechanicus: https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=129966
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-20-15, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

I have around 5000 points of Orks so that's the best I can manage hah my friend has a large IG army tho, and we should still get some really cool games in. I played the first mission at the points you gave me and I steamrolled right through him. I made him feel better tho by telling him that its supposed to be that way since the campaign story shows the orks as overwhelming the IG defenses anyways and he agreed. We have our 2nd game coming up. Unfortunately, we only have 1 knight with us, so I told him that he can use his space wolves if he'd like to compliment his army. I m bummed that it wont be complete canon, but the end of the campaign story does say that you can switch armies around if youd like

post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-20-15, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdojo18 View Post
I have around 5000 points of Orks so that's the best I can manage hah my friend has a large IG army tho, and we should still get some really cool games in. I played the first mission at the points you gave me and I steamrolled right through him. I made him feel better tho by telling him that its supposed to be that way since the campaign story shows the orks as overwhelming the IG defenses anyways and he agreed. We have our 2nd game coming up. Unfortunately, we only have 1 knight with us, so I told him that he can use his space wolves if he'd like to compliment his army. I m bummed that it wont be complete canon, but the end of the campaign story does say that you can switch armies around if youd like
Extra cool! The first battle is honestly hands down to the orcs. they arrived and smashed the scarce imperial defences. The second one, however, with Knights intervention, is another story...in your campaign you could have just a single Knight House join forces, but alongside a Great Company of Fenris!
And that would be epic too!
When you arrive at the battle of the bridges, i recommend to deploy as per fluff ;) much more epicness will ensue! Also, mimiking the units involved in the fluff can be hylarious.
Let us know how the game unfolds!

Quote:
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-20-15, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

Will do! We should be playing in a week or so but I'll keep you guys updated on how it moves along. I just bought 90 ork boys for 45$ bucks too, so the green tide is coming in that bridge battle :D

post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-21-15, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdojo18 View Post
the green tide is coming in that bridge battle
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!

Quote:

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode