New Army - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-28-08, 07:06 AM Thread Starter

Cadian81st's Flag is: USA

Default New Army

I am going to be starting a new army within the coming month, once I dot the I's and cross the T's on my guard. I've pretty much narrowed it down to two choices, and I'd like an opinion. I'm either going to start a SM army themed around the Mobile Infantry from Starship Troopers (Green-Grey colour scheme, lots of terminators, probably a deathwing successor chapter) or begin a pure tzeentch 1ksons army. (I've always admired the thousand sons from afar, their models are awesome.)

I realize both of these are relatively challenging armies to do (1ksons probably a little easier to do than the deathwing successors) and I'd like to hear from people who play both as to what these particular army's strength's and weaknesses are, so I can have a clear idea in my head before I go and buy any models. I can't help but think of Wraithlord when I hear 1ksons; do we have any deathwing players out there who'd be willing to lend me some sound advice?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-28-08, 07:17 AM

officer kerky's Flag is: Australia

for starters i like the thousand sons but thats me.

lets see. thousand sons are a better choice.
strenghts: mostly every models is a psyker
weakness: don't really know

and the deathwing lots and lots of termies. down side very small army
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-28-08, 04:56 PM

Concrete Hero's Flag is: Wales

For shear cool and gorgeous value I'd go for the Thousand Sons.
That might hurt you're wallet though...
Every model with a 4+ Invulnerable save? Hello! (I do miss having two wounds EACH though... That was nice)

Terminators are pretty gorgeous to though :D.

Just look at The Wraithlord's Avatar. That beautiful picture will decide for you

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-28-08, 05:08 PM

EvgO's Flag is: Latvia

Well, from what I hear from the forums, Deathwing armies are not few, in fact, they are plenty.
And people really like to play with someone who has a different army.

1ksons could be tough to convert, paint and game with, but surely fun.
As a bonus you would have 2 armies not "on one side". Good for "family" games (=
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-28-08, 05:23 PM

BloodANgels89's Flag is: USA

1k sons are great, 4+ invuln, Hellfire Bolts (ap 3 bolters) and ALWAYS shoot 24'. Downside? speed, they're slow and purposeful, but rhinos fix that. Could incorporate a termie squad with MoT, 4+ invuln termies. And Ahriman is awesome, either 9 str 4 ap3 range 18 BS5 doom bolts, or 3 str 8 ap1 range 24 BS5 Bolts of Change. Or 3 attempts at changing that pesky special char into a chaos spawn ( which could be fairly easy, seeing as the test only requires you to roll and match targets strength) OR Demon Prince with wings, MoT,and Warptime for like ...what.....150 pts? maybe 160, i hate chaos and their dirt cheap demon princes. Toss in some Obliterators and your pretty much set.

Death Wing....My friend's dad runs these guys, and with the new marine dex, they're tough. 2 Land Raiders, Belial, Termie Chaplain, and 4 Termie Squads, each specializing in a different area. He has barely any models, but two squads are in those land raiders, the other two DS, you won't be killing those Land raiders :p.

So all in all both armies are pretty tough, seeing as all your models wiill have an invlun save, whether it be your 4+ on 1ksons, or 5+ (3+ invuln if you take shields) on your termies. Both need transports to get them where they need to be. And heavy support shouldn't be a problem for either, because they both are marines and marines do pretty nicely with Heavy Support. So it depends on which kind of tough do you want, and if you want to spend your time assaulting, or rapid firing ap 3 bolter death :p
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-29-08, 02:07 AM
Bringer of the Apocalypse

Deneris's Flag is: Canada

I'd throw my vote in for the Thousand Sons as well- with Troops being so important in 5th edition, it's nice to have "basic" soldiers with 3+/4+ invulnerable. AND, they still aren't that common an army, and have such a wealth of background; Just LOOK at the back-story that they share with the Space Wolves.

Downside? The Thousand Sons models are a mix of metal and plastic, thus being a bit harder to assemble. Also, ALL of the "basic" Sons are essentially in the same pose, which might get boring. You might also want to look into alternate Sorcerers for the Rubric squads, as it gets a bit tedious having the same model leading them all...

"That, and sending Leman Russ to make a peaceful arrest? That's like sending a rabid Grizzly Bear to teach Kindergarten." - Cole Deschain
"Deneris - you are a legend." - TheKingElessar
"Chingao...sigh..guess I'll stay a slut then..."- Shogun_Nate
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-29-08, 02:59 AM Thread Starter

I dunno, I really like the MI/Deathwing idea, but termies are so expensive. I guess less so with the AoBR, but...I'd definitely be giving them shields btw. Fits with the mobile infantry being damned near impossible to kill.

I didn't realize 1ksons were metal/plastic. Hmm...makes me rethink them a bit, I hate metal models.

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-29-08, 03:08 AM
Bringer of the Apocalypse

Deneris's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadian81st View Post
I dunno, I really like the MI/Deathwing idea, but termies are so expensive. I guess less so with the AoBR, but...I'd definitely be giving them shields btw. Fits with the mobile infantry being damned near impossible to kill.

I didn't realize 1ksons were metal/plastic. Hmm...makes me rethink them a bit, I hate metal models.

Aye... the heads are metal, while the torsos are metal fronts on "standard" plastic CSM backs. Most of the arms are plastic, with only one set being metal.

"That, and sending Leman Russ to make a peaceful arrest? That's like sending a rabid Grizzly Bear to teach Kindergarten." - Cole Deschain
"Deneris - you are a legend." - TheKingElessar
"Chingao...sigh..guess I'll stay a slut then..."- Shogun_Nate
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-30-08, 05:51 AM Thread Starter

Well that's not so bad I guess. Are they annoying to glue together?

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-30-08, 08:25 AM

Deathwing won't have the 3+ inv. save from the new storm shield unfortunately. Everything in their codex is what they get, the new SM codex is keeping all the new shit for itself....

If you shit in one hand and wish in the other we all know which one will fill up faster.

And as I walk in the valley of the shadow of death I will have no fear For I am the scariest mother f*cker in that goddamned valley!

Damn nature, You Scary!!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode