Codex Harlequins - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-12-15, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

Default Codex Harlequins

Good evening, all.

I am curious to know what people think of the Codex, the units, the lore, everything.

Now the 'dex has been out for a couple of weeks, I am sure people have reached some form of conclusion.

Personally, whilst I cannot say I am disappointed with the codex, I am of the opinion that it is more a supplement book for both the Eldar races. Which isn't quite what I was hoping for.
A full army is possible, of course - but I see the formations more as extensions. A standalone Harlequin army would struggle to deal with certain things that are in the current meta... I can't quite understand why they couldn't have some form of AA version of the main vehicle, for example.

Your thoughts, people?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-13-15, 06:22 AM

fatmantis's Flag is: New Zealand

i think that it is a perfect allied attachment more so for Dark eldar for the combo with the Raiders being better..

my only real issue is that once again Eldar have been given a rule set that breaks the mechanics of the game.

run shoot shoot run and now hit and run embark from combat.. i know maybe unlikely to happen but still why is it needed in the first place?
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-13-15, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmantis View Post
i think that it is a perfect allied attachment more so for Dark eldar for the combo with the Raiders being better..

my only real issue is that once again Eldar have been given a rule set that breaks the mechanics of the game.

run shoot shoot run and now hit and run embark from combat.. i know maybe unlikely to happen but still why is it needed in the first place?
I never liked that only Eldar can mess with standard organization of turns. While that can be argued as fluffy, it should have been dealt with in another way by simply allowing them to move longer distances,run 3+d6. .. well you get the idea.
Harlequins seem to be the glassiest of glass cannons. I had a skim of friends codex and there are good options but there doesn't seem to be any heavy support or expandable troops.
However the army can always burrow things from their Eldar kin so niches can be supplemented.
I would imagine the army runs like Deathwing, very elite, maybe not as expensive but has to be played with tactical precision of a surgeon with very small margin for error and bad dice.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-13-15, 03:19 PM
nice boy, daft though !

bitsandkits's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:

you are forgetting the first rule of eldar, which is the rules dont apply to them because they are better than you

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-13-15, 04:36 PM

jams's Flag is: Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitsandkits View Post
you are forgetting the first rule of eldar, which is the rules dont apply to them because they are better than you
qft

Follow my online ramblings:
Blog: http://crucible-of-fate.blogspot.co.uk/
Twitter: @geochimp
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-13-15, 04:41 PM
Token Trans Mod

Zion's Flag is: USA

Nearly every army has a way to break some rules, the question is which rules do they break?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-14-15, 12:45 AM

Xabre's Flag is: USA

I like them for one reason: Faolchu's Blade.

More specifically, Skyweavers look great as CC bikes and I feel can compete or beat Shining Spears, and the Blade Formation lets me throw them in an Eldar bike list. Voidweavers even look pretty decent, as a superior (if maybe shorter range) Vyper. Don't hold a candle to Hornets, but that's FW for ya.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-14-15, 12:49 AM

fatmantis's Flag is: New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zion View Post
Nearly every army has a way to break some rules, the question is which rules do they break?
rules yes..but game mechanics? can any other army run and shoot? or embark in combat?
but yes you are right which rule to break
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-14-15, 01:25 AM
Token Trans Mod

Zion's Flag is: USA

Quote:
rules yes..but game mechanics? can any other army run and shoot? or embark in combat?
but yes you are right which rule to break
Harlequins can only get the embark during with a formation, and only Craft World Eldar have the Battle Focus rule (a rule they quite frankly needed because as an army they weren't that impressive for a while, and it's a rule that's well balanced. Also Eldar used to be the only army that could run (original fleet), so breaking the shooting phase to be an army of fast, fragile models is their "thing").
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-14-15, 02:30 AM
Senior Moderator

Quote:
can any other army run and shoot?
I believe one of the Militarum orders allows them to either shoot and then make a run move, or run and shoot.

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
A hero is someone who steps up when everyone else backs down.
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

Seriously, is it really that hard to write reviews without spoilers?

Reporting Posts - read this

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode