Hello heresy land!
I have a question to pose to you guys, something which has vexed me and a few others, what is the greatest single hero or villain you can make from your codex?
Now, this seems a very vague question, so let me give you some context as to how we got to question, and what we are actually asking. What I really love about the Space Wolves is the characters that you can generate, you can create an army of individuals, each seeking glory for the all father (and themselves of course). They aren’t just a mass of blank faces which can come from vanilla marines *braced for the hate train*. Chaos space marines are another example where you can really individualise your models, and create fun fluffy characters.
One day, me and some mates got together for a few games and starting talking about a model which we feel has got a life of its own, who had waded through the thickest of fights and come out with barely a scratch. Of course the usual’s were mentioned, riptides who had managed to evade everything thrown at them and dished out destruction every turn, and the 2+ cover save daemon prince smashing headlong into a gunline and practically slaying the entire of the enemy force single handed, etc etc.
After a while we got into discussing more specifically our single infantry models, HQ units totting so much gear that they were pretty much a walking army of their own. Of course this is when the arguments started, who could create the best generic HQ unit that had the capability of going into pretty much any situation and coming out on top without the support of any other model. Even now we are still arguing, boasting over work breaks when we happen to run across each other.
So I’d like to throw it out to you guys, and see how you respond.
A few rules we have abided to when creating our characters:
- The model in question must be a single, unnamed and non-unique HQ unit (e.g. Space marine captain, Ork Big mekk, etc.)
- The build must be legal, meaning that he takes only the options that are available to him/her. It is assumed that they may only take a single relic/artifact equivalent from the codex.
- Supplements and dataslates (crimson slaughter, Champions of Fenris, etc.) can be used
- We didn’t really set a points limit, so I’d say go for it, create a model with as many options as you want
- The model is assumed that they will be by him or herself for the entire game, they are an army of one. If they were charging into assaults, they would do so alone. If they sit backfield, they would have no other friendly models around, they are simply by themselves. They cannot purchase any additional models (such as fen wolves)
- They cannot buy transports! But can have a mount, such as a bike, daemon, etc.
- It is assumed they are NOT your warlord, so do not have warlord traits. Some armies have better traits than others, so this keeps everyone at level pegging (well, as level as possible!)
As to who or what you are facing, that is entirely up to you. Are you going up against a horde of greenskins? Or a tau battle line? Or are you just creating a character to take on all comers?
For instance, the model I campaigned for was:
This build would be for all comers, send him up the board straight into the thick of it