A legend is born: What is the hardest single model you can build? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-01-15, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Shadow's Fury's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default A legend is born: What is the hardest single model you can build?

Hello heresy land!
I have a question to pose to you guys, something which has vexed me and a few others, what is the greatest single hero or villain you can make from your codex?

Now, this seems a very vague question, so let me give you some context as to how we got to question, and what we are actually asking. What I really love about the Space Wolves is the characters that you can generate, you can create an army of individuals, each seeking glory for the all father (and themselves of course). They aren’t just a mass of blank faces which can come from vanilla marines *braced for the hate train*. Chaos space marines are another example where you can really individualise your models, and create fun fluffy characters.

One day, me and some mates got together for a few games and starting talking about a model which we feel has got a life of its own, who had waded through the thickest of fights and come out with barely a scratch. Of course the usual’s were mentioned, riptides who had managed to evade everything thrown at them and dished out destruction every turn, and the 2+ cover save daemon prince smashing headlong into a gunline and practically slaying the entire of the enemy force single handed, etc etc.

After a while we got into discussing more specifically our single infantry models, HQ units totting so much gear that they were pretty much a walking army of their own. Of course this is when the arguments started, who could create the best generic HQ unit that had the capability of going into pretty much any situation and coming out on top without the support of any other model. Even now we are still arguing, boasting over work breaks when we happen to run across each other.

So I’d like to throw it out to you guys, and see how you respond.

A few rules we have abided to when creating our characters:
  1. The model in question must be a single, unnamed and non-unique HQ unit (e.g. Space marine captain, Ork Big mekk, etc.)
  2. The build must be legal, meaning that he takes only the options that are available to him/her. It is assumed that they may only take a single relic/artifact equivalent from the codex.
  3. Supplements and dataslates (crimson slaughter, Champions of Fenris, etc.) can be used
  4. We didn’t really set a points limit, so I’d say go for it, create a model with as many options as you want
  5. The model is assumed that they will be by him or herself for the entire game, they are an army of one. If they were charging into assaults, they would do so alone. If they sit backfield, they would have no other friendly models around, they are simply by themselves. They cannot purchase any additional models (such as fen wolves)
  6. They cannot buy transports! But can have a mount, such as a bike, daemon, etc.
  7. It is assumed they are NOT your warlord, so do not have warlord traits. Some armies have better traits than others, so this keeps everyone at level pegging (well, as level as possible!)

As to who or what you are facing, that is entirely up to you. Are you going up against a horde of greenskins? Or a tau battle line? Or are you just creating a character to take on all comers?

For instance, the model I campaigned for was:
Wolf Lord
Thunderwolf mount
Runic Armour
Stormshield
Black Death
Digital weapons
Meltabombs

This build would be for all comers, send him up the board straight into the thick of it

Last edited by Shadow's Fury; 03-01-15 at 02:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-01-15, 04:00 PM
Warsmith

Uveron's Flag is: Great Britain

With only a little thought,

CSM: Black-Legion

Deamon Prince,

Power Armour, Wings, Gift of Mutation.. Mark of Nurgle (2+ Cover/Jink)
Level 4 Psyker (3+ Last Memory of Yuanthos)+ Skull of Ker'ngar 4+ Deny the which rolls, and imume to Instant Death

Eye of the Night - To use on turn one to try and cripple LOW's and other big things..

Spine Shiver Blade for +D6 extra attacks.

Boom!

post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-01-15, 04:03 PM
JUGGERNUT

venomlust's Flag is: USA

King of the Daemon Princes! It's a shame there's no way to give a Bloodthirster the Eye of Night. BS10 FTW .

SUFFER NOT THE PONY TO LIVE.

- - AMATEUR KHORNESTAR: MY BLOG THING - -

Last edited by venomlust; 03-01-15 at 04:06 PM.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-01-15, 04:19 PM
Vaz

Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom

Edit; missed the non unique bit

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi Baji View Post
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
a rectum spectrum, if you will
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-01-15, 04:20 PM
Warsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by venomlust View Post
King of the Daemon Princes! It's a shame there's no way to give a Bloodthirster the Eye of Night. BS10 FTW .
Its a Large Blast, any BS over 2 is good!

post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-01-15, 04:26 PM
JUGGERNUT

venomlust's Flag is: USA

If you roll like me, every large blast scatters 12".

SUFFER NOT THE PONY TO LIVE.

- - AMATEUR KHORNESTAR: MY BLOG THING - -
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-01-15, 05:00 PM

Destroyer lord
Warscythe
Res. Orb
Phylactery
Nightmare Shroud
Phase Shifter
Mindshackle Scarabs
Gauntlet of fire

250pts T6 S7 AP2 2+,4++,5+++ w/ It will not die, Preferred Enemy (Everything) and able to re-roll 5+++ for a turn
Just try and kill that

Me: To be honest im amazed there isn't a chaos god of not revising or at least chaos god of procrastination

MidnightSun: There will be, when enough people do it. Y'know when the Eldar were all engaging in their hedonism and Slaanesh ripped open the Eye of Terror with his creation? Slaanesh will have NOTHING on the God of Procrastination, and his vile minions will carve the galaxy asunder in a thousand year reign of blood.... Tomorrow

Last edited by falcoso; 03-02-15 at 07:21 PM.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-01-15, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Shadow's Fury's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uveron View Post
With only a little thought,

CSM: Black-Legion

Deamon Prince,

Power Armour, Wings, Gift of Mutation.. Mark of Nurgle (2+ Cover/Jink)
Level 4 Psyker (3+ Last Memory of Yuanthos)+ Skull of Ker'ngar 4+ Deny the which rolls, and imume to Instant Death

Eye of the Night - To use on turn one to try and cripple LOW's and other big things..

Spine Shiver Blade for +D6 extra attacks.

Boom!
I wondered how long the nurgle prince would take to appear. A hard nut to crack indeed! Large numbers of ignores cover could be a problem, but you've got to pin it down first!

Is all the black legion gear artifacts? Never played against them or read their rules.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-01-15, 05:34 PM
Rattlehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcoso View Post
Destroyer lord 110pts
Warscythe +20pts
Res. Orb +25pts
Phylactery +15pts
Nightmare Shroud +35pts
Phase Shifter +25pts
Mindshackle Scarabs +10pts
Gauntlet of fire +10pts

250pts T6 S7 AP2 2+,4++,5+++ w/ It will not die, Preferred Enemy (Everything) and able to re-roll 5+++ for a turn
Just try and kill that
Itemised points costs, naughty falcoso :p

Chapter Master on Bike with Burning Blade, Artificer Armour, Shield Eternal and Digital Weapons (expensive, but amazing)
Warboss in Mega Armour with da Lucky Stikk, Cybork Body, Kombi-Skorcha and Attack Squig (not great, but super-super cheap for what he does)
Bloodthirster with the Eternal Blade and Greater Reward (beats basically anyone in combat, getting there is more of an issue)
Grey Knight Grand Master with Soul Glaive and Master-Crafted Psycannon (kills anything without Eternal Warrior or if they roll a bunch of 2+ saves if he gets to swing at I5)
Necron Overlord with the Solar Thermasite, Warscythe, Phase Shifter, Phylactery, Resurrection Orb and Gauntlet of Fire. (slightly less resilient than falcoso's build, perhaps, but a Str8 AP2 weapon at I2 with a Heavy Flamer overwatch is no joke and a 3+/4++/5+ Feel No Necrons with re-rolling 1s on saves and IWND is still hard to shift).
OP's Wolf Lord build

Am I the only one that doesn't like Daemon of Nurgle on a Prince? Sure, 2+ Jink is great, but Ignores Cover isn't uncommon, you're still fragile in combat, and losing the ability to run people down is huge.

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-01-15, 06:08 PM
Warsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow's Fury View Post
I wondered how long the nurgle prince would take to appear. A hard nut to crack indeed! Large numbers of ignores cover could be a problem, but you've got to pin it down first!

Is all the black legion gear artifacts? Never played against them or read their rules.
Yep its all Black Legion Gear.

Last Memory of Yuanthos < Gives the Guy another spell*(a broken on as well 'Huge Nova) and Level (hence level 4)
Eye of the Night < Large Blast, causes D3+1 Hullpoints of damage to everything hit! No Cover save.
Skull of Ker'ngar< Addamiti will and Eternal Warrior.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode