drop pods and dreadnoughts? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-05-15, 11:35 PM Thread Starter

kickboxerdog's Flag is: England

Default drop pods and dreadnoughts?

hey all im currently getting some pods to transport my dreads in , do u guys leave the middle sections( where marines are strapped in) out when u build a pod for a dread? is there like an unwritten rule about it?

to me if I leave it out wouldn't I be at a disadvantage as it gives a clear LOS through the pod?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-05-15, 11:50 PM

fatmantis's Flag is: New Zealand

1st drop podds never block lune of sight..so dont worry about that..
2nd..if its always going to be for him then yea i take them out..but what i do is cut the dome on the base of and place a missle launcher on top of rhino hatces in its place..to make it look like it comes out of the floor..
but in the end its your models so do as you wish..
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-06-15, 01:15 AM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmantis View Post
1st drop podds never block lune of sight..so dont worry about that..
How in the Imperium do you figure that? It's a vehicle, and vehicles block line of sight. Is this just another one of those things you say because you have a keyboard, or do you actually have a Codex or BRB reference that states 'Drop Pods do not block line of sight'?

The only thing that remotely resembles what you're saying is that once the hatches on a pod are opened they are ignored, which only really affects movement though, as your opponent can't place models within 1" of yours....and now that I look for the text that supports even that much in a Codex/FAQ I can't find it.

@kickboxerdog , there's absolutely nothing that stops you from playing Dreadnoughts out of a pod the way it's supplied in the box. If you feel as though you're modeling for advantage, try magnetizing the centre piece in so you can use it or not depending on the contents. It shouldn't be too much of a task if magnets are something you use regularly, the only thing you wouldn't be able to include are the cable-looking bits that connect the chairs to the fins of the pod (if you follow me). Personally I assembled all of my pods the way the instructions in the box told me to and if someone told me I was modeling for advantage I'd simply not play against them. I've no patience for that kind of opponent, specially since I am no high-stakes tournament player.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-06-15, 08:58 AM

fatmantis's Flag is: New Zealand

[QUOTE=ntaw;1996098]How in the Imperium do you figure that? It's a vehicle, and vehicles block line of sight. Is this just another one of those things you say because you have a keyboard, or do you actually have a Codex or BRB reference that states 'Drop Pods do not block line of sight'?

The only thing that remotely resembles what you're saying is that once the hatches on a pod are opened they are ignored, which only really affects movement though, as your opponent can't place models within 1" of yours....and now that I look for the text that supports even that much in a Codex/FAQ I can't find it.

./QUOTE]

Pg 14 BRB line of sight..
"for one model to have line of sight to another, you must be able to trace a straight unblocked line from its body to any part of the targets"

so therefore unless you are being a complete DICK..a drop pod can be fired through giving up a cover save of course...if you glued you doors shut then you should be giving benefit of the doubt to your opponent unless of course your a WAAC player.
the game is supposed to be fun..
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-06-15, 10:51 AM
Vaz

Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom

[quote=fatmantis;1996210]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntaw View Post
How in the Imperium do you figure that? It's a vehicle, and vehicles block line of sight. Is this just another one of those things you say because you have a keyboard, or do you actually have a Codex or BRB reference that states 'Drop Pods do not block line of sight'?

./QUOTE]

Pg 14 BRB line of sight..
"for one model to have line of sight to another, you must be able to trace a straight unblocked line from its body to any part of the targets"

so therefore unless you are being a complete DICK..a drop pod can be fired through giving up a cover save of course...if you glued you doors shut then you should be giving benefit of the doubt to your opponent unless of course your a WAAC player.
the game is supposed to be fun..
Unless you can physically see the target from a models eye point of view, then there is no LoS. And WAACplayers benefit from having drop pods with their arms out for the grratest possible move more than a 3" square LoS blocker

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi Baji View Post
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
a rectum spectrum, if you will
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-06-15, 12:30 PM

I build mine without the child safety seats, mainly because they're a pain to build and stick in there and without them the pod itself is easier to paint IMHO.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-06-15, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

kickboxerdog's Flag is: England

ok cool cool , im thinking with my dread nought one ill leave it free , ive got 2 already fully built for my sternguard
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-06-15, 01:02 PM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

LoS (and just fatmantis in general) aside, after looking at my pods I think you'd also have to magnetize a fin to get the centre piece out. Not a ton more work, but still tedious.

Either way, it wouldn't be the first time a transport and its contents didn't match up in this game.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP

Last edited by ntaw; 01-06-15 at 01:52 PM.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-06-15, 03:18 PM
ZOMGZOR CUSTOM USER TITLE

scscofield's Flag is: USA

Haven't seen a DP with the center magnetized. That would be fairly cool, have seen the door hinges magnitized so the could be removed when it deployed. As to LoS, even with the thing wide open it can often block LoS depending on terrain and models view. I use DP'S all the time to make my own LoS and cover for advancing units.

http://i.imgur.com/aPfHUHy.gif?1

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-06-15, 03:27 PM

Silens's Flag is: Wales

Eh'... Why not just count the drop pod as 3+ cover and be done with it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicus View Post
"Look they got a-OH MY GOD I'M ON FIRE FOR THE LOVE OF NAKED SANTA IT HURTS!"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode