drop pods and dreadnoughts? - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-06-15, 03:48 PM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by scscofield View Post
Haven't seen a DP with the center magnetized.
Whenever I get around to expanding from three to five I'll take a whack at it, since I typically do play two dreadnoughts out of pods. Can't say it'll be any time soon though as I've got to get some (a friggin' ton) of painting done before I can justify buying more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silens View Post
Eh'... Why not just count the drop pod as 3+ cover and be done with it?
If you can draw line of sight through an enemy unit it's a 5+ cover save (same goes for friendly models in another unit). Though as scscofield pointed out, and I have also experienced in my own gaming, sometimes drawing LoS through a pod can be more troublesome than you think.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP

Last edited by ntaw; 01-06-15 at 03:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-06-15, 10:51 PM

Silens's Flag is: Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntaw View Post
Whenever I get around to expanding from three to five I'll take a whack at it, since I typically do play two dreadnoughts out of pods. Can't say it'll be any time soon though as I've got to get some (a friggin' ton) of painting done before I can justify buying more.

If you can draw line of sight through an enemy unit it's a 5+ cover save (same goes for friendly models in another unit). Though as scscofield pointed out, and I have also experienced in my own gaming, sometimes drawing LoS through a pod can be more troublesome than you think.
That's why I'd treat it as a 3+, or at least a 4+. Vehicles can block LOS, but drop pods are fuzzy enough that you find a nice mid point between invincible (which one effectively is against someone who can't draw LOS) and zero-cover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicus View Post
"Look they got a-OH MY GOD I'M ON FIRE FOR THE LOVE OF NAKED SANTA IT HURTS!"
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-07-15, 12:32 AM
Vaz

Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom

This might sound stupid, but if the passage of something is blocked by something, then it's blocked. This can be represented by Cover Saves, or, you know, being unable to shoot at the target behind the thing that's blocking the Line of Sight.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi Baji View Post
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
a rectum spectrum, if you will

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-07-15, 01:28 AM

Guys, BRB covers this under Intervening Models (pg.38 DV mini-book) quite succinctly. If you're shooting through a third unit (ie. not the firing unit or the unit being targeted) there's a 5+ cover save regardless of the 25% obscured clause, unless your LoS is completely blocked. If you can't see it, then -surprise surprise- you can't shoot at that target (unless we get into Barrage weapons).

If you absolutely need to home-brew a rule for pods that's cool, but it really is covered already.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-07-15, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Guys, BRB covers this under Intervening Models (pg.38 DV mini-book) quite succinctly. If you're shooting through a third unit (ie. not the firing unit or the unit being targeted) there's a 5+ cover save regardless of the 25% obscured clause, unless your LoS is completely blocked. If you can't see it, then -surprise surprise- you can't shoot at that target (unless we get into Barrage weapons).

If you absolutely need to home-brew a rule for pods that's cool, but it really is covered already.
What about trajectory? Ya know, I can't see you but will guess where you are and fire wildly in the air!
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-07-15, 01:54 AM

barrage surprise sucka!

EDIT: Assault grenades should totally be barrage type.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP

Last edited by ntaw; 01-07-15 at 01:59 AM.
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-07-15, 02:20 AM

fatmantis's Flag is: New Zealand

Quote:
LoS (and just fatmantis in general) aside, after looking at my pods I think you'd also have to magnetize a fin to get the centre piece out. Not a ton more work, but still tedious.

Either way, it wouldn't be the first time a transport and its contents didn't match up in this game.
why ignore what i said?? i proved you wrong??? you must be fun to play with..
its quite clear you can see what it says about line of sight and intervening models..so why be so snarky?
not everybody wants to play your way..some people do play for fun
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-07-15, 02:24 AM

Quote:

it actually quite easy..no more difficult than working out which models could fire around a building or obstacle etc
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-07-15, 02:27 AM

if you do magnetize the center piece..do a tutorial on how you do it..would be really interesting to see how you achieve it..
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-07-15, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmantis View Post
i proved you wrong
Can you see the 5 silver base coated Grey Knights behind my Drop Pod? I promise you they are there. It didn't take more than 5 seconds of positioning, and it's how I've limited casualties on close combat squads Deep Striking way too close to enemy firepower more than once.

Quote:
so therefore unless you are being a complete DICK..a drop pod can be fired through giving up a cover save of course
Right. I'm the only one that's being snarky. Shall we move on?

Quote:
if you do magnetize the center piece..do a tutorial on how you do it..would be really interesting to see how you achieve it..
I post pretty much everything I accomplish within this hobby here, so whenever it happens it will be posted. Not likely for a few months though, I have some other much larger purchases to make this year before getting back to models (not to mention all of the painting backlog). Really though, the Drop Pod is one of the simplest kits I have ever put together. All it would take is a couple magnets drilled into the final fin so that it is removable and you can get the control console and chairs out. The central piece itself it pretty minimally attached anyway, like I said before the only thing you'd have to leave out are the cables connecting the chairs to the fins. It would take a handful of magnets and a bit of time drilling out holes and checking polarities, but I don't foresee it being much of a task.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode