Back into the hobby after 12 year service with the British infantry help deciding !!! - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-31-14, 11:23 PM Thread Starter

Warpangel's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default Back into the hobby after 12 year service with the British infantry help deciding !!!

So as the title says I've not played since 3ed edition, 12 years in the infantry didn't leave me with much spare time however now I'm out n have time to burn I'm exited to start again.
So I used to play space wolves & chaos space marines, I'm open to all choices but I'm looking for something fun to play but with out the "horde" style army ! Kinda don't wanna have to paint 100 boyz before I play ( hate playing grey models )
The questions I have is
* which army's are fun
* which are good in 7th (I know there's been a lot of nurf)
* are tau good at low point I.E 1000pts ( to start )

Thanks in advance and any help is much appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-01-15, 02:44 AM
Spored to be Wild

morfangdakka's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpangel View Post
The questions I have is
* which army's are fun
* which are good in 7th (I know there's been a lot of nurf)
* are tau good at low point I.E 1000pts ( to start )
1. The army that is fun is the one that excites you to play them. You don't want to play hordes but even IG, Ork and Nids all have builds that are low troops. So it is what army you think would be fun to play but one that you find cool models and great lore because you will spend more time assembling and painting than playing possibly.

2. It depends on how competitive you want to be. For friendly games all armies are pretty good if the right general is using the army. Competitive Eldar, Necrons, Space Marines (drop pod army or white scars) Imperial knights and tau are all very strong armies. You could also put SPace Wolves and Chaos daemons on the list as good armies.

3. tau are pretty good at low point games but can fall prey to horde armies at that low point level just like other armies.

Red Orc
"Ahh, isn't Morfang sweet, like a great big 350-pound (that's 25 stone, UK users!) ball of cuddly death...?"

God, gives children to people so that death won't seem so disappointing.

Last edited by morfangdakka; 01-01-15 at 03:09 AM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-01-15, 07:00 AM

maximus2467's Flag is: United Kingdom

I'd go with something that's just had a codex update, blood Angels for example are a fun army to play with and as they have just been re released you won't have the issue I've had many times with gw changing everything after you've just finished painting your army. Plus the models and fluff are cool and they've great scope for conversions.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-01-15, 07:27 AM Thread Starter

I fully understand that the army needs to be apealing to me, I suppose since I've not played for a fair while I'm not sure how the army's plays ! I love the look and fluff to ( grey Knights, space Wolves, chaos space marines, and maybe tau ? ) I'm loving the fact I can have alies bacause all the minis look amazing
I love painting/converting I've kept up with that aspect at least.
But cheers for the advice !
blood angles look amazing too, but know assault marines arnt troop I don't see the point lol
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-02-15, 06:51 PM

maximus2467's Flag is: United Kingdom

You have a good point, I was going to do BA as my next army but after getting the dex I'm hugely deflated, I run SW at the mo, they're pretty new too so you should be ok with them, they're so characterful that it almost makes it pleasurable to paint them, almost. Any congrats on leaving the mob mate, I'm into year 16 now, stuck in the pension trap plus I'm too scared to leave and get a real job. Really don't fancy working for a living. Once your armies all painted up you should join me and a few of the other lads at a throne of skulls tournie at warhammer world in Nottingham, have a few scoops and spin some dits. If you do go down the SW route let me know if you need any advice on putting together your list, I'm not exactly an expert but I've been playing for long enough so I know a few tricks
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-03-15, 12:04 AM

R_Squared's Flag is: England

I was surprised how many service and ex-service are into 40k myself. I'm also 16 years in, looking forward to my 22.
I've got back into 40k recently thanks to a mate who sent me some paints and marines when I was in Afghan. Great to chill out when I had a moment and paint them up, and I just carried on when I got back.
I'm playing Orks at the moment, and have enjoyed every game just down to the random fun factor intrinsic in the army. However, I am picking up a load of marines, SW and DA from a guy whos selling them off at my local gaming club on Wednesday. Luckily he also has a few Chaos SM and the appropriate codex's too, so I'll have some great new models to paint, and a couple of small armies to trial out.
Just be prepared to lose your first few games, who ever you play as, theres a lot to take on board. I got lucky, as the guys are very helpful and supportive of newbies.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-03-15, 01:23 AM
Vaz

Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom

Welcome to the forums pongo!

In 7th edition, most armies are quite good - with the exception of maybe Orks (who are stuck with singular niche builds), Sisters of Battle who do not have a full codex, and Dark Angels Space Marines who are pretty much outclassed by everything in Grey Knights, Space Marines, Space Wolves and Blood Angels.

The two most powerful factions at the moment IMHO are Chaos Daemons and Tyranids as a result of Flying Monstrous Creatures. You can even fit 4 Flying Hive Tyrants into a 1000 points list.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi Baji View Post
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
a rectum spectrum, if you will
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-03-15, 12:20 PM

LokiDeathclaw's Flag is: United Kingdom

Stick with the Wolves! I'm in the Army and over the last two years have got back into the hobby. I always collected Space Wolves because I love the fluff and look of the models. I have played a few games of 7th and R_Squared is right, be prepared to lose your first games. I have a bit of a grudge thing going against a Tau player who keeps whipping me as I only play with painted models!

Loki Deathclaw's Great Company-https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/showthread.php?t=126454

High Elves Plog- Caledor Warhost-https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=154490
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-03-15, 12:51 PM
Heresy Online's Pet Furby

Tawa's Flag is: Scotland

Welcome back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace of Ultramar View Post
I think Tawa is a temporal entity that exists outside of the hobby/modeling timeline. Essentially, he's the Heresy Online equivalent of a Time Lord... which is kinda hilarious and frightening all at the same time.
"God-Emperor? Calling him a god was how all this mess started."
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-03-15, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

Cheers guys yeah 12 long years and ended up with epilepsy after too many blasts and now I'm MDd any loads of time on my hands.
Think I've narrowed it down to space wolves or blood Angels love the fluff I kinda know SW and both army's have amazing minis now !
cheers for the advice

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode