4 Riptides in a 1K Tournament - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-14-14, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
HokieHWT's Avatar
HokieHWT's Flag is: USA
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Blacksburg, Virginia
Posts: 424
Reputation: 15
Default 4 Riptides in a 1K Tournament

Played in the monthly 1K at my local store today and got tabled by someone playing 4 riptides in turn 6. I ran two Knights, one 5 man tac squad with a librarian and another in a drop pod with a multimelta. My opponent put one riptide, with 6 haywire shots plus D3 strength 8 shots in front of a knight and another, same layout jumped 24" behind another the same knight. I could only Ion Shield one side and so I was wiped out in one round, then he did the same thing to another knight after i defeated a riptide in CC (after 2 rounds really bad rolling on my part and great 3+ invuls on his part). The troops were wiped out shortly after.

Other than CC how do Knights deal with that many haywire shots? I know nothing of Tau but I want to buy the codex just to figure out what the hell they can take.

I was stunned, especially after tabling a Necron player in turn 3 my first game.



Edit: Also I did not know that I can only snap shot my multimelta in the turn in arrives from a drop pod...

Check out my 2nd Catachan Regiment Project Log
https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=131473

Catachan Devils W6-L11-D1
Steel Legion Heavy Mech W6-L0-D0
Minotaurs and Knights W5-L1-D0




HokieHWT is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-15-14, 12:13 AM
Vaz
Senior Member
 
Vaz's Avatar
Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Manchester, UK.
Posts: 12,830
Reputation: 79
Default

Haywire hard counters knights. Or indeed any expensive resilient heavy armour. In the day of Knights and LR spam, Lascannons and meltas just can't cut it unless there's Strength D in the picture.

Necrons 12" Haywire range is a bummer, but 5 Stormteks is what, 175pts for 20 shots? So similar deal should they go for that.

Only way to win that game is by not taking armour - and I'm trying to remember how much the cheapest Eldar Titan is. Failing that a Warhound with Twin Turbo Laser Destructors with Void Shields has like 14 effective HP to tank that many haywire shots.



100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi Baji View Post
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
a rectum spectrum, if you will
Vaz is offline  
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-15-14, 02:55 AM
Senior Member
 
The Sturk's Avatar
The Sturk's Flag is: USA
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 959
Reputation: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieHWT View Post
Played in the monthly 1K at my local store today and got tabled by someone playing 4 riptides in turn 6. I ran two Knights, one 5 man tac squad with a librarian and another in a drop pod with a multimelta. My opponent put one riptide, with 6 haywire shots plus D3 strength 8 shots in front of a knight and another, same layout jumped 24" behind another the same knight. I could only Ion Shield one side and so I was wiped out in one round, then he did the same thing to another knight after i defeated a riptide in CC (after 2 rounds really bad rolling on my part and great 3+ invuls on his part). The troops were wiped out shortly after.

Other than CC how do Knights deal with that many haywire shots? I know nothing of Tau but I want to buy the codex just to figure out what the hell they can take.

I was stunned, especially after tabling a Necron player in turn 3 my first game.



Edit: Also I did not know that I can only snap shot my multimelta in the turn in arrives from a drop pod...
What kind of Riptides was he running? Because Riptides from the standard Tau codex do not have any haywire weaponry at all. I don't know if he was running a Forgeworld variant or from the Farsight Supplement, as I have none of those, perhaps someone who plays Tau more can inform me on this...

As for the Multi-melta, yes you would only be able to snap-fire it as Deepstriking counts as moving at-least combat speed for it's occupants, and since a Multi-Melta is a Heavy weapon, you'd have to not move to fire it normally.

@Vaz : 5 Storm-teks is 125 points. The only thing they lack is a reliable delivery service. So one could be replaced with a Harbinger of Despair with the Veil of Darkness for Deepstriking, or attach Obyron to the unit.
The Sturk is offline  
 
post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-15-14, 06:44 AM
Rattlehead
 
MidnightSun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New Sheoth
Posts: 6,741
Reputation: 83
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sturk View Post
What kind of Riptides was he running? Because Riptides from the standard Tau codex do not have any haywire weaponry at all. I don't know if he was running a Forgeworld variant or from the Farsight Supplement, as I have none of those, perhaps someone who plays Tau more can inform me on this...

As for the Multi-melta, yes you would only be able to snap-fire it as Deepstriking counts as moving at-least combat speed for it's occupants, and since a Multi-Melta is a Heavy weapon, you'd have to not move to fire it normally.

@Vaz : 5 Storm-teks is 125 points. The only thing they lack is a reliable delivery service. So one could be replaced with a Harbinger of Despair with the Veil of Darkness for Deepstriking, or attach Obyron to the unit.
It's a Y'vahra Pattern, from Forge World. Dedicated anti-tank version, which had insane experimental rules but was nerfed to hell in the actual release. It loses a lot of mobility in gaining the heavier guns though so I'm surprised to see one jumping around, I didn't think they could do that but I don't have the rules on hand.

Reliable delivery for Stormteks is a 100pt Night Scythe, I'm pretty sure the Court can bring one and it's probably the most reliable deep-field deployment you can find, especially as you get a 6" move to spread the Stormteks over two facings to avoid the Ion Shield for a couple of them.

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).
MidnightSun is offline  
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-15-14, 07:44 AM
Senior Member
 
neferhet's Avatar
neferhet's Flag is: Italy
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Over the rainbow
Posts: 3,694
Reputation: 57
Default

Well, what could i say. you just got the hard counter to your hard conter...nothing else to add, i think.

The Legion of Perfects Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux View Post
The calls of Slaneesh stir so deeply within me, as if I was birthed from the very essence of it. For my ambition to infinitely ascend above all is never ending, like fire within it burns me to ever cindering ash. Lord of light and ascension is who I am, realities burn to ash at my very passing. My luminescence is unparalleled for I am luminosity itself, all light is but a shadow of my silhouette
neferhet is offline  
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-15-14, 08:46 AM
Entropy Fetishist
 
Mossy Toes's Avatar
Mossy Toes's Flag is: USA
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Eš
Posts: 4,249
Reputation: 117
Default

I was under the impression that the Y'vahra was still only Experimental--where have it's actual rules been released? I only see the link to the experimental ones down at the bottom of the page, there.

(and even if your meta allows Forge World, which is all well and good, I'm leery of the idea of allowing Experimental units in an organized tourney...)

CSM Plog, Tactica

What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator! Imperator!
Mossy Toes is offline  
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-15-14, 09:32 AM
Senior Member
 
neferhet's Avatar
neferhet's Flag is: Italy
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Over the rainbow
Posts: 3,694
Reputation: 57
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy Toes View Post
(and even if your meta allows Forge World, which is all well and good, I'm leery of the idea of allowing Experimental units in an organized tourney...)
Agreed and seconded

The Legion of Perfects Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux View Post
The calls of Slaneesh stir so deeply within me, as if I was birthed from the very essence of it. For my ambition to infinitely ascend above all is never ending, like fire within it burns me to ever cindering ash. Lord of light and ascension is who I am, realities burn to ash at my very passing. My luminescence is unparalleled for I am luminosity itself, all light is but a shadow of my silhouette
neferhet is offline  
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-15-14, 01:10 PM
Senior Member
 
Pssyche's Avatar
Pssyche's Flag is: England
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Manchester
Posts: 1,146
Reputation: 4
Default

Did your opponent have a copy of the Rules available for you to see?

The ones you are quoting bear no relation to the experimental ones currently downloadable from Forge World, and the XV-109 doesn't appear in the Taros Campaign re-release according to the picture of the Index Page that is on the Forge World Website.

Though I take your life, I promise you the stars...
Pssyche is offline  
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-15-14, 01:10 PM
Senior Member
 
Ryu_Niimura's Avatar
Ryu_Niimura's Flag is: Netherlands
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Rotterdam
Posts: 379
Reputation: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy Toes View Post
I was under the impression that the Y'vahra was still only Experimental--where have it's actual rules been released? I only see the link to the experimental ones down at the bottom of the page, there.

(and even if your meta allows Forge World, which is all well and good, I'm leery of the idea of allowing Experimental units in an organized tourney...)
^This

Sounds like you were outcheesed by a fellow cheese connaiseur

Ryu_Niimura is offline  
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-15-14, 01:46 PM
Senior Member
 
Jolnir's Avatar
Jolnir's Flag is: Canada
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Regina, SK
Posts: 272
Reputation: 3
Default

He was running 4 Y'Vahra Riptides? Insane. Deep pockets.

Are there actual "official" rules for these out yet? As stated above, I don't see anything except the "experimental" set.
Jolnir is offline  
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome