4 Riptides in a 1K Tournament - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-15-14, 01:53 PM

Pssyche's Flag is: England

It looks to me like he's not even using the Experimental Rules properly.

Though I take your life, I promise you the stars...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-15-14, 02:23 PM
Rattlehead

Terribly sorry, I'm thinking of the R'varna; a 260pt Riptide with an extra Wound and T7 at the cost of losing the Jet Pack, with a Flechette Discharger and 2 Pulse Submunition Cannons - 60" Str6 AP4 Large Blast Heavy 1 Cluster Fire (gains Strength 7 and every model under the template is hit twice if firing at any Bikes/Jetbikes/Beasts/Cavalry/models with Very Bulky, and Str8 and every model under the template is hit three times if firing at Extremely Bulky models/Fortifications/Vehicles) and a NOVA Reactor with 1. 3+ Invuln 2. Fires each Submunition Cannon twice, can't fire in 'the subsequent turn' which technically just means you can't Intercept with it 3. 6" bubble of S2 AP5 Haywire and 4. Gains Fleet and runs 2D6" instead of D6".

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Download...a15-1-2014.pdf

But it definitely doesn't have that many Haywire shots.

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-15-14, 05:35 PM
Vaz

Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom

Aren't they in IA3 Taros 2e? Don't have that yet.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi Baji View Post
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
a rectum spectrum, if you will

post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-15-14, 05:57 PM
Rattlehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
Aren't they in IA3 Taros 2e? Don't have that yet.
It might be, but this is certainly one set; the previous set of experimental rules had it at AP3, benefitted from Storm of Fire, and could take any of the Support Systems a normal Riptide can take (rather than being limited to Positional Relay and Stimulant Injector).

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-15-14, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

HokieHWT's Flag is: USA

Honestly I never asked to see the rules, it's a small local tournament and I haven't played in 3 months so I figured it was something new from a FAQ or formation. Only two had the haywire rules, another one was T7 and his "commander". My list was bound and don't consider it cheese because I have never won the tournament using knights, only playing AM as a matter of fact. I've only used knights 3 or 4 times in any of my games but wanted to get use to them as I plan on using the Adamantine Lance formation in an 1850 list, although I might be better off with just a pure drop pod list instead. I'm not a super competitive player, I enjoy the painting aspect mostly, but I want to get the most out of the money I've spent so I figured I'd use what I got.

I asked him to play a 1850 game this week but I will certainly ask to see the rules for his riptides before hand now and probably bring a more balanced list. I'm experimenting at the moment so I'd like to find a nice balanced 1850 list for my February tournament...my search continues

Thanks all for the feedback! The more you know

Check out my 2nd Catachan Regiment Project Log
https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=131473

Catachan Devils W6-L11-D1
Steel Legion Heavy Mech W6-L0-D0
Minotaurs and Knights W5-L1-D0

post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-15-14, 08:19 PM

Kastle's Flag is: USA

Here is where my apprehension for playing this game even semi competitive...you have to know your opponent's rules almost better than they do, and with the cost of the codices and the sheer number of them and other supplements, even the digital ones being as they are makes this a bit tough to do these days

"When you get to heaven may the Devil be your judge.."
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-16-14, 12:59 AM
Entropy Fetishist

Mossy Toes's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieHWT View Post
I asked him to play a 1850 game this week but I will certainly ask to see the rules for his riptides before hand now and probably bring a more balanced list. I'm experimenting at the moment so I'd like to find a nice balanced 1850 list for my February tournament...my search continues
Well, bear in mind that that same Riptide can also fire a S6, Torrent 6" flamer, too--that's AP3 Heavy 1, or AP2 Heavy 2 Gets Hot. So it can not only melt any vehicle with 3 S8 shots that also apply a Haywire hit each (3+D3 if Nova Charging it), it can also deal with any single infantry squad by dual AP2 Baleflamering in any direction. After Swoop-jumping like an MC, so the limited mini-torrent and 12" S8/Haywire guns limited range is less meaningful.

But oh no, it's not broken (loyal Tau players insist), since it costs 33% more than a normal Riptide and has one fewer wound! Forget that any unit that gets within 36" of it gets melted, unequivocally, and it's a hard counter to every single unit type in the game. You can shoot at it with lascannons, right?

CSM Plog, Tactica

What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator! Imperator!
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-16-14, 01:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy Toes View Post
Well, bear in mind that that same Riptide can also fire a S6, Torrent 6" flamer, too--that's AP3 Heavy 1, or AP2 Heavy 2 Gets Hot. So it can not only melt any vehicle with 3 S8 shots that also apply a Haywire hit each (3+D3 if Nova Charging it), it can also deal with any single infantry squad by dual AP2 Baleflamering in any direction. After Swoop-jumping like an MC, so the limited mini-torrent and 12" S8/Haywire guns limited range is less meaningful.
This is exactly what two of them were! You are the all knowing and powerful Mossy I'm think centurions with grav-cannons and drop pods with grav guns as I don't have too many lascannons...oh how I miss my Steel Legion

post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-16-14, 01:31 AM
Entropy Fetishist

Mossy Toes's Flag is: USA

Low model-count in Centurions means that your opponent can only get 6 S6 AP2 hits on you, assuming they don't get hot at all--your squad might actually survive the volley from one of them. Well, part of your squad. A mini or two, though no invuln hurts, there (assuming no 4+ power from Tigurius). And they have a 24" jump vs your 24" range totally: they can jump in and mini-torrent from out of your whole range.

And that's only one of your opponent's two of them.

(aren't I just a little ray of sunshine w/r/t this unit?)

CSM Plog, Tactica

What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator! Imperator!

Last edited by Mossy Toes; 12-16-14 at 01:33 AM.
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-16-14, 01:34 AM Thread Starter

Grrrrrrrrr....so how does one deal with Riptides other than lascannons? This is why I miss my Vendettas. I was thinking of putting the centurions in a land raider....

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode