what army should i collect...nooby question i know - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-05-07, 04:13 PM

the cabbage's Flag is: Scotland

Sweet choice, haven't come across a purple loyalist army.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-11-07, 05:05 PM

Id like to eventually start collecting and playing once I get a job, but im not sure which Army to collect.

From what Ive seen so far, I think Id like to collect either Black Templar Space Marines, or the Imperial Guard.

But, is there anything I could to to save money? That and is it possible to get models pre-painted? Considering my art talents are practicly non-existant.

Self Proclaimed Poofter Extradonaire :D
No pity! No remorse! No fear!
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-11-07, 05:37 PM
The Hebrew Hammer

The Son of Horus's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siegfried
But, is there anything I could to to save money? That and is it possible to get models pre-painted? Considering my art talents are practicly non-existant.
Saving money-- Ebay, other people selling out locally, etc. Won't be the newest models, but it's playable.

Pre-painted models... again, Ebay, but they tend to be pretty badly painted. Don't sell yourself short on painting. Everyone starts somewhere. There are professional painters out there, though. I'll probably be doing a little of it myself this summer.

IN THE US? ASK ME HOW TO GET 10% OFF GAMES WORKSHOP PRODUCTS!

My homebrew Space Marine Chapter: The Astartes Lions Rampant

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-11-07, 06:45 PM

Yeah, I suppose Ill have to find someone to paint any models Id get.

But no matter what I do, Id imagine Id be sinking a good amount of cash into the whole venture.

post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-11-07, 06:59 PM
The Hebrew Hammer

Well, professional painters tend to be rather pricey. You'll get high-quality stuff, but it'll be a good five bucks a model for basic troopers and that's just for the painting. Characters can run up to 100 bucks from some painters. Trust me, it's better to do it yourself unless you're a doctor or lawyer and simply don't have time-- that's who most professional painters paint for.

post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-11-07, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Son of Horus
Well, professional painters tend to be rather pricey. You'll get high-quality stuff, but it'll be a good five bucks a model for basic troopers and that's just for the painting. Characters can run up to 100 bucks from some painters. Trust me, it's better to do it yourself unless you're a doctor or lawyer and simply don't have time-- that's who most professional painters paint for.
Hmm, maybe not a professional but someone who can paint them decently? I wouldnt need models that are like godly painted, but just decently painted.

Im just saying that because my painting skills are about zilch.

post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-11-07, 09:12 PM

Anphicar's Flag is: USA

Practice, practice, practice.

honestly.

Practice, post the pictures, get constuctive criticism, read modeling books, online articles and practice more.

post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-12-07, 01:54 AM

Skcuzzlebumm's Flag is: Scotland

Thats how i learnt. I still buy and read WD mainly for the painting guides - the techniques you can apply to any model. Also the GW painting books are actaully pretty good to - i know some top painters who recommend them.

Looking painting forums like her on Heresy will help you glean advice and insperation. Also [url]www.coolminiornot.com[/ul] is probably the best site on the planet for painting, contains work form the worlds top artists and has mountains of articles to help you along.

Also just like Anphicar said, paint, ask for help, paint, ask for help and keep on painting. The more you do it the better you WILL become.

Field Marshall Lord Neil Alister Mackenzie Kerr the Marquess of Lothian
aka Team Scotland 40k Captain 2012
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-12-07, 03:42 AM
The Hebrew Hammer

I taught myself to paint from the pages of White Dwarf. I wish they published How to Paint Citadel Miniatures and How to Paint Space Marines when I was learning, because those are absolutely great. Between those and reading the newly-reinstated Masterclass section in White Dwarf, you'll learn pretty fast.

post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-12-07, 05:10 AM

For the most part I don't follow any online or WD advice on how to paint.

I dislike mixing if I can help it and WD over-focuses on that. It's too much work and requires you to remember it all.

Online info either suffers from this or refers to paints other than GW, which is of no use to me. I already spent a lot of money to have every GW paint there is--I'd rather not have to spend out even more. Often I feel excluded for painting GW miniatures exclusively with GW paints, which can be mildy irritating.

Online and WD examples also tend to be unrealistic in that most people reading the articles do not have anything approaching the same skill level.

My advice is to learn the absolute basics then experiment a lot on practice models or model parts. As long as you've put some effort into painting the models, be proud of whatever the results are.

Heresy grows from idleness.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode