The new Grey Knights' Codex - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-24-14, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

Iraqiel's Flag is: Australia

Default The new Grey Knights' Codex

My thoughts on initial reading are, mainly, "Ouch"

With the cost adjustments for Justicars, the loss of psybolt and psyflame ammo, the loss of orbital strikes and the increase of costs for dreadnaughts, not to mention the changes (perhaps a nerf?) to nemesis weapons, I feel like my favourite Space Marines just had their "Ward" save removed and received a big kick in the bollocks.

So, where is the silver lining, and how does one play this army now?

The four sources of firepower beyond 24" now seem to be the techmarine with conversion beamer, the dreadnaught, the razorback and the vanilla landraider. I may have to give up the search for my two lost dreadnaughts, stiffen my lip and buy a new pair.

Terminators getting around 18% cheaper is nice, it makes them a more sensible option than the previous edition as you aren't fielded suuuuuuch a small force now. Quite. I still feel a bit like the extra shots that strike squads give are more valuable than the survivability, but I guess we will see.

Losing initiative boosting halbards and psybolt means that I am even less inclined to dive into the assault - meaning even more that I want to execute the enemy squad by squad from when I arrive from deep strike. I think this will mean that I'll be concentrating firepower, looking for more line of sight blocking terrain to bring to games and taking stormravens and teleport homers a lot more.

With the limited anti-tank firepower available to the knights, I think i will have to guilt my friends into playing daemons or tyrranids... although the stormraven has lost it's psy-strike missiles, the anti tank option now available should redress that imbalance a little.

I would like it if GW collated and released Inq, Scions and Assassins as a hard copy tome, since I'm doing a lot of book and ibook flicking to play my normal armies right now.

End ramble. What are your impressions team?

Iraqiel

Check out my Imperial Guard Battle-Group-in-the-making as it slowly takes form! Located just here:
https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...my&army_id=705

And my collection of all things - particularly Grey Knights; Guard and Adeptus Mechanicus: https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=129966
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-24-14, 11:00 AM

elmir's Flag is: Belgium

It's not a total loss, not at all. It's still got more than decent options in each slot, BUT... at best 1 in some of them.

Troops:

Terminators are now our only troop choice. Strike squads were barely decent last book because of the razorback MSU configuration. With the nerf to psycannons, you won't see them around, so only 1 viable choice in the troops section.

Terminators are pretty decent now though. At 33 each, you can keep the costs down to around 200p for a squad, depending on weapon loadout. Not a bad deal. Even with halberds, they now strike at S7, so that's still nasty for tanks. At only 2 points, I still think halberds are good.

Best part about troops though: you'll only need 1 with the new formation. GKs just don't get to rely on objective secured... It's not their thing anymore. You'll just have to learn to shield 3" away from objectives with your terminators or other models.

Elites:

Purifiers are better... Plain and simple. Even with the nerf to the psycannon, I still like the prospect of 5 purifiers in a rhino driving around, casting their nova and using their flamers from top hatches. Very niche unit, but still good. Also a good source to put some teleport homers if you are playing heavy on deepstrike. ML2 and their base spells are nice. I like the idea of pyromaniacs. And the cost for that setup is more than reasonable at 180 with Teleport Homer.

Dakkadreads took a punch. They can still work if you use a landing platform with comms relay (almost mandatory if you ask me in heavy Deeptriking armies). You need something to "operate" the comms relay, so dakka dreads do this nicely and will have a 3++ on that platform with a long range still. So don't discount them just yet, you can still deploy them as far back as possible and use him to call in your guys. Although a vindicare could do this too with his obscene range now with ADL + Comms relay.

Palladins are very solid "mini-stars". 5 of them deepstriking with 2 psycannons and the weapon loadout of your choice, along with a cheap apothecary is scary stuff for your opponent... They suffer from limited mobility, but so far, they are clocking in at around 350p in my builds. So you are definatly not putting all your eggs in one basket with them and they'll still count very highly on your opponents threat list if they just show up at his door.

Fast Attack:

I think interceptors will work in some builds. I dont' gravitate towards them instinctively (they are still only PA and with some weapons, they are starting to get really close to new terminator costs), but some do for their speed. Definitely usable in shunt based lists however... and if you use a teleport homer, you can get a really nice flamer attack in to harass backline units of the enemy.

Storm raven lost mindstrike, but I don't think that'll be that bad... The new culexus assassin might make some people anxious to still invest heavily in psychic based deathstars (the one niche the stormraven previously had). So swapping out to more anti-tank missiles might not be the worst thing in the world if you ask me. Also, I think that a homing beacon on that thing can really help shunt based armies who want to rely heavily on last turn objective grabs... His ability to go hover mode , using his large footprint and 6" teleport bubble might just give you a few surprise moves on your opponent to grab 2 objectives seemingly out of nowhere.

Heavy support:

Only 1 real option. But boy... what a good option! Don't think this needs a lot of explanation.

The purgation squad is purged from any build now... It's the one "joke entry" every codex must have, it's in a GW dev contract... *nods*

HQ:

I still don't see the point in either crowe or BH champs... They challenge people... and costs tons. Maybe Crowe if you want to get his nova spell in. If paired with some purifiers for 2 nova's out of tophatch? Maybe... Still meh if you ask me.

Both Draigo and Stern have their uses, mainly for their base spells. Infinity gate base on draigo can make for some fun gameplay with allied in centurions, and basic sanctuary on stern will make him see use too (just imagine that guy pairing up with TH/SS allied termies). I'd hate to see imperial fists with Lysander and then this guy working in tandem... Not to mention that GKs can teleport in teleport homers in turn 1 to teleport in more teleporting SM termies! Madness ;)

Librarians are just plain good. Doesn't really need an explanation I guess. Techmarines don't float my boat.

I had an AMAZING time at fightclub.

I arrived a bit late, so I missed the introductions, but man... I had an awesome time at fightclub! 10/10 I would recommend fight club to anybody!
post #3 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-24-14, 12:53 PM
Rattlehead

Terminators arriving on Turn 1 with Battle Focus, and Dreadknights with Personal Teleporters.

Repeat ad infinitum until you run out of points.

post #4 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-24-14, 06:11 PM

Lanfear's Flag is: Scotland

What has changed to Psycannons to reduce their effectiveness? I don't have my new book yet and am eager to find out more. Cheers.
post #5 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-24-14, 06:55 PM

Location: In a cell for revealing sensitive information regarding the Inquisition

They're now salvo 2/4 weapons, so you can never assault after firing them whereas you could in last edition.

My contribution to the Renegades saga. Check it out

My growing IIIrd legion stuff:

17th Millenial (Homebrew Fluff) - "Children of the Emperor, death to his foes!" (Project Log)

Also my 30k tacticas, for those of you interested:

Crusade Army List tactica - Individual Legion tactica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel of Blood View Post
And for two fucking grand, I could buy enough rum and hookers to 'artistically' recreate the better part of Pirates of the Caribbean.
post #6 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-24-14, 07:48 PM
Rattlehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deus Mortis View Post
They're now salvo 2/4 weapons, so you can never assault after firing them whereas you could in last edition.
I thought the reason they were worse is that the range is halved if they moved.

I don't think not being able to fire your 12" range Autocannon before assault is enough in itself to make Psycannons bad. Half range if you move, on the other hand, is pretty punishing. Not a big problem, because Terminators are the new black, but sucks for GKSS.
post #7 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-24-14, 08:28 PM

Yeah, not being able to assault isn't that big an issue. Getting the range of a glorified pistol is a lot more problematic, especially in a game that's more and more based on mobility to get the job done.

So yeah... If you have a ton of psycannon wielding PAGKs, I've got some bad news for you. They are dustcollectors untill a new book comes out or a new edition comes out for 40k (granted, that might only take 3 months at the pace GW is producing rules atm).

The book is definatly something that can be made to work however. Just purgation squads and strike squads are utter garbage now (painfull in a codex that has so very little choices to begin with).

On a fun note, somebody pointed out to me that you can purchase a comms relay as a fortification in it's own right via stronghold assault nowadays:

"The following list summarises the rules for battlefield debris that can be purchased as an upgrade to a fortification, or as fortifications in their own right."

So yeah... that might be a nice boost for Nemesis strike formations. Just get a cheap inquisitor with some servo skulls to man the thing and hide it somewhere out of LoS

I arrived a bit late, so I missed the introductions, but man... I had an awesome time at fightclub! 10/10 I would recommend fight club to anybody!
post #8 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-25-14, 01:37 AM

Fire Lord's Flag is: USA

Does anybody know if the dreadnoughts on pg 52-53 are custom? I have never seen any like them before. They don't appear to be Forge World, and aren't from any GW kit. I was curious if they might be a new kit coming later.

ps, Since when do loyalist use trophy racks?

It's funny when you state a fact to the haters. They always bite.
Haters gonna hate.
Born FREE, Live FREE, Die FREE. No substitute. Never surrender.
post #9 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-25-14, 06:57 AM

The dreadnoughts in the book are conversions based on the BA furioso dread.The shields are just used to hide the BA symbols on them.

post #10 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-25-14, 07:13 AM

Archon Grimherald's Flag is: USA

did the dreadknight get made into a walker or is it still a monstrous creature even though its still tony stark in the hulkbuster armor?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode