Sooo my Dark Eldar where called Over powered today. - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-21-14, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

Lol I agree completely, ive been playing dark eldar for 2 years now and have had great success but like stated throughout the post, its either feast or famine with them. Ive had tournaments where I went 3-0 and I have had some where I get smashed and sent home with an 0-3. But yea, the pally star is low model count and mcs. Basically our MO. I just really wanted to see how I would of done against him and wanted a pick up game. This was my first 7th ed game with my dark eldar (been playing csm and space wolves) and he is a pretty cocky dude, but he did appolagize by over facebook by saying good game and sorry for leaving so abruptly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-21-14, 12:57 PM
Herald of The Warp

Nordicus's Flag is: Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terricus View Post
he is a pretty cocky dude, but he did appolagize by over facebook by saying good game and sorry for leaving so abruptly.
Interesting fact; I know 4 players who play Dark Angels. All 4 fit this MO; They put out the same army and complain if their termies can't kill the entire opposing army.

I hope it's not a general thing :S
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-21-14, 01:59 PM

SwedeMarine's Flag is: Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicus View Post
Interesting fact; I know 4 players who play Dark Angels. All 4 fit this MO; They put out the same army and complain if their termies can't kill the entire opposing army.

I hope it's not a general thing :S
It is where im from. Thats why i hardly ever bring terminators anymore. Terminators are a one trick pony in my opinion and thats to tie down an enemy unit (or units for a few turns while they appear in the backfield or charge from a land raider. i never expect my terminators (when i field them to survive more than two turns and therefore i dont bother spending all the points on them.

Check out my Sentinels of Terra/ CSM Plog
Sentinels of Terra/Rot Bringers CSM PLOG
W:9 D:2 L:5

post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-21-14, 02:21 PM
Senior Moderator

DeathKlokk's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gret79 View Post

Edit:I can't remember who said it but I think this is apt...
"Cheese is the battle cry of the ill-prepared"
That would be me!

I always used to love low model count opponents with my Eldar. I'd just SL them to death.

Now I've abandoned 40k for Infinity where your list doesn't matter nearly as much as your tactics.

Good riddance, Rock,Paper, Scissors!

Strange, but not a Stranger.
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-21-14, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

Hahahaha brutal deathklokk ;) I understand why they use paladins. 2 ws and psykers but they are still t4 and I have a lot of st 8 ap2 or better weapons in my list...along with an ass load of splinter weapons
post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-21-14, 03:44 PM

I have only ever once had my army called OP, and it was during my first 3 months playing the game against this guy playing Imperial Fists, while I was playing Chaos Space Marines.

He had set up his list so that he could have a ton of marines storm up behind a line of three Centurions, and had no transports to speak of. As he was playing Fists, his ultimate goal seemed to be to find some nice spots to camp out and start gunning down threats. He also had a squad of Sternguard camping a building, and his HQ, possibly a Chapter Master, running up with the marines.

My list, being limited to what I owned, consisted of two squads of Chaos Marines, one with a plasma gun and heavy bolter, the other with two plasma guns. They were meant to be backed up by two squads of autocannon Havocs, and a Tzeench Daemon Prince with the Burning Brand would lead them into battle. And by Warp if that little guy didn't do just that. Then there was a squad of Warp Talons deep striking in to help the Daemon Prince land a nice charge. I think I had something else in there, Chosen perhaps, but it really doesn't matter.

Oh, and this guy also was cheating! Since I didn't know the rules all that well, and this guy, having fully painted his models to be Fists, talking about how much he loved their lore and their additions in the codex, and being a veteran player who had been in the game for over 10 years, claimed their Chapter Tactic was that every single bolt based weapon was twin-linked, all the time, no matter what range.

Well it sure ended up not mattering at all anyway, because Prince Killgore (the name I gave to my Daemon Prince) nearly tabled him in a few turns. My marines hid behind a wall until his army had been reduced to a single 10 man squad of marines, with Prince Killgore still slamming away at the Sternguard, which now had his HQ in it. Since the mission was The Relic, my guys just kinda walked up to it, picked it up, and began walking back to their wall. The Havocs were able to kill a few marines here and there before Prince Killgore got to them, and for the most part they just watched the carnage unfold.

And the best part of it all; at the very end, he starting shaking with rage as Killgore finished off his HQ with ease, and screamed "I ****ING CAN'T BELIEVE HOW OVERPOWERED CHAOS IS! DID G.W. EVEN TEST THIS?" It was then that my friends came over, one of which began laughing as he saw a lone Daemon Prince on the opponent's side of the table, and piles of dead marines on the other being packed up by an enraged Fists player. The other just asked how it went. I told them that at first I was scared of their Chapter Tactic, but then the Daemon Prince was so powerful on his own that he was able to wipe out whole squads in a phase. Then, the guy who was laughing stopped, and his face turned to the most wide-eyed expression the man could make, as he turned slowly to face the raging loyalist.

"You're cheating with Space Marines, and calling a brand new player with a single Daemon Prince overpowered?"

The rager immediately stopped what he was doing and turned pale, and quickly tried to cover up his lies. My friend pulled his copy of the codex, and slammed it down next to the now-cheater, open on the Chapter Tactics page. "Really? I sure don't see a line that says you have twin-linked all the time! Do you? Please, enlighten me!"

The player cried "But the Daemon Prince is still overpowered! He killed almost all of my army like it was nothing!"

"That's because you were using a stupid strategy that you bolstered by trying to cheat. Next time, actually play the game by the rules, and build an army that follows them."

The cheater then stormed out of the store, and we didn't see him again until recently, trying to sell off some old Imperial Fist models.
post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-21-14, 04:45 PM

Moriouce's Flag is: Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code: Crimson View Post
I have only ever once had my army called OP, and it was during my first 3 months playing the game against this guy playing Imperial Fists, while I was playing Chaos Space Marines.

He had set up his list so that he could have a ton of marines storm up behind a line of three Centurions, and had no transports to speak of. As he was playing Fists, his ultimate goal seemed to be to find some nice spots to camp out and start gunning down threats. He also had a squad of Sternguard camping a building, and his HQ, possibly a Chapter Master, running up with the marines.

My list, being limited to what I owned, consisted of two squads of Chaos Marines, one with a plasma gun and heavy bolter, the other with two plasma guns. They were meant to be backed up by two squads of autocannon Havocs, and a Tzeench Daemon Prince with the Burning Brand would lead them into battle. And by Warp if that little guy didn't do just that. Then there was a squad of Warp Talons deep striking in to help the Daemon Prince land a nice charge. I think I had something else in there, Chosen perhaps, but it really doesn't matter.

Oh, and this guy also was cheating! Since I didn't know the rules all that well, and this guy, having fully painted his models to be Fists, talking about how much he loved their lore and their additions in the codex, and being a veteran player who had been in the game for over 10 years, claimed their Chapter Tactic was that every single bolt based weapon was twin-linked, all the time, no matter what range.

Well it sure ended up not mattering at all anyway, because Prince Killgore (the name I gave to my Daemon Prince) nearly tabled him in a few turns. My marines hid behind a wall until his army had been reduced to a single 10 man squad of marines, with Prince Killgore still slamming away at the Sternguard, which now had his HQ in it. Since the mission was The Relic, my guys just kinda walked up to it, picked it up, and began walking back to their wall. The Havocs were able to kill a few marines here and there before Prince Killgore got to them, and for the most part they just watched the carnage unfold.

And the best part of it all; at the very end, he starting shaking with rage as Killgore finished off his HQ with ease, and screamed "I ****ING CAN'T BELIEVE HOW OVERPOWERED CHAOS IS! DID G.W. EVEN TEST THIS?" It was then that my friends came over, one of which began laughing as he saw a lone Daemon Prince on the opponent's side of the table, and piles of dead marines on the other being packed up by an enraged Fists player. The other just asked how it went. I told them that at first I was scared of their Chapter Tactic, but then the Daemon Prince was so powerful on his own that he was able to wipe out whole squads in a phase. Then, the guy who was laughing stopped, and his face turned to the most wide-eyed expression the man could make, as he turned slowly to face the raging loyalist.

"You're cheating with Space Marines, and calling a brand new player with a single Daemon Prince overpowered?"

The rager immediately stopped what he was doing and turned pale, and quickly tried to cover up his lies. My friend pulled his copy of the codex, and slammed it down next to the now-cheater, open on the Chapter Tactics page. "Really? I sure don't see a line that says you have twin-linked all the time! Do you? Please, enlighten me!"

The player cried "But the Daemon Prince is still overpowered! He killed almost all of my army like it was nothing!"

"That's because you were using a stupid strategy that you bolstered by trying to cheat. Next time, actually play the game by the rules, and build an army that follows them."

The cheater then stormed out of the store, and we didn't see him again until recently, trying to sell off some old Imperial Fist models.

Moahahaha!!!

Good to be green

Barks Dakka Ladz: W3-D2-L3
Altansar Eldar: W3-D0-L2

post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-21-14, 06:48 PM

kiro the avenger!'s Flag is: England

I hate cheaters... But it makes them 10 times better to wipe!
It's amazing the kind of lies people come up with if they think you don't know the rules... Often accompanied by a forgeten codex if you call them out on it as well...

Through temptation and horror
I have held to my faith
As a drowning man grasps at a rock
Judge me not by my weakness
Remember not my sins of late
post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-21-14, 07:06 PM
Herald of The Warp

Nordicus's Flag is: Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code: Crimson View Post

This just made my evening.
post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-21-14, 07:25 PM

Words_of_Truth's Flag is: United Kingdom

I play a very balanced marine army that I've put together to face a lot of contingencies.

My usual opponent is Dark Eldar and I tend to beat him, he's a tournament player but considers me one of the best in the store despite my nervousness and not that much of a steady grasp of the rules, but I have my marines down to a T imo, which I think is due to my anxiety that makes me worried so much I end up planning for all eventualities.

I have a thunderfire cannon if in case someone decides to camp or to ignore cover, my squads are small and spread out and supported by lighter tanks like Razorbacks so that he can't focus fire units to death, usually ends up meaning my small squads actually survive. You get the picture, problem is people already consider space marines OP any way and because I put loads of planning they now consider me to be a "power gamer".

I really want to prove I don't just play an over powered army but I'm worried about trying different things.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode