Is it worth it? - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-13-14, 02:13 AM
Ancient Relic
 
mcmuffin's Avatar
mcmuffin's Flag is: Ireland
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Waking up from my tomb world
Posts: 2,430
Reputation: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straken's_Fist View Post
In my opinion, no it isn't worth it.

The problems I find with it are pretty straight forward, but basically it boils down to the fact it is just far FAR too time consuming: Like you I started dabbling in other gaming systems. It quickly became apparent that these systems are all invariably less time consuming in almost every aspect; It takes me 5 minutes to pack for a game, of say, Infinity (dice and tape measure included). It takes me maybe a week to paint a whole faction ready for a game. I do not have to spend time shifting through a myriad of supplements and rulebooks to play a game or to understand what I am up against. This applies to all the other games out there such as Malifaux, Dystopian Wars and so forth.
So after a short while it became very obvious I would not have as much time for 40k anymore if I wanted to play these games too. Then, overtime, I just dedicated less and less time to 40k to the point I have now lost all interest in playing it now. I just do not have time to paint 100 models to a standard I am remotely happy with, and nor do I have time to pack for half an hour and cart around a huge suitcase containing a 40k army. Nor do I have time or money to buy supplements/rulebooks, especially when GW now seem content on releasing a new edition every 1 and a half years. Sorry, but that is just taking the piss. I think that was the final straw for me tbh. And no, 7th didn't happen so quickly to address any balance issues with 6th, it's unbalanced as ever, GW do not care about balance...


SF
So your hobby, that you elect to spend your free time on, is TOO time consuming? That just sounds strange to me, and maybe it's just my viewpoint, but you only have to spend as much time on it as you want to. There's no one standing at your throat with a knife telling you to paint those hundred models or else. I've had a Daemon prince model that i've been painting on and off for three years, and it's still nowhere near finished, but i can still use it in a game nonetheless. I don't think time is really a major reason not to play 40k, I can think of plenty of others but that one just doesn't sit with me. A hobby is something for you to occupy your time with so you aren't left suspended in infinite boredom and tv-watching

Now I can see where you're coming from that 40k has lost a little of its shine. In 5th edition I was playing three or four games a week, going to tournaments and events at least once a month, and I enjoyed it immensely, making plenty of new friends and having a huge amount of fun in general. Then 6th edition dropped and the army I played was basically made null and void by the advent of Cron Air and Triple Heldrake lists, to the point where I dropped the hobby completely for over a year. I'm just getting back into 40k now with 7th and i'm loving it again. The tournament and gaming scene as a whole, at least here, haemorraged players during 6th, but it's slowly picking up pace again. I definitely think 7th edition, while different to what they might be used to, is a great opportunity for other people to return to 40k. The kinks are still being worked out, naturally, but it seems to be an edition worth playing again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMuffin's Law
As an online discussion about 40k grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Squats approaches 1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathKlokk View Post
Keep in mind you are arguing "realism" about an army of genetically-altered supermen that are able to shrug off rocket propelled explosive bullets because someone is waving around a cup full of blood that reminds them of their long lost Super Daddy that was killed by there Extra Special-Super Uncle.
Space Wolves Tournament Results W:24 D:8 L:8
Jaws-ing my way to victory
mcmuffin is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-13-14, 01:29 PM
Senior Moderator
 
DeathKlokk's Avatar
DeathKlokk's Flag is: USA
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 5,719
Reputation: 20
Default

Moved to General to aid in visibility.

No, I don't think it's worth it. GW has gone off the rails.

Try Infinity, it's awesome!

Strange, but not a Stranger.
DeathKlokk is offline  
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-13-14, 04:11 PM
Senior Member
 
Straken's_Fist's Avatar
Straken's_Fist's Flag is: South Georgia
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Wiltshire
Posts: 1,094
Reputation: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmuffin View Post
So your hobby, that you elect to spend your free time on, is TOO time consuming? That just sounds strange to me, and maybe it's just my viewpoint, but you only have to spend as much time on it as you want to. There's no one standing at your throat with a knife telling you to paint those hundred models or else. I've had a Daemon prince model that i've been painting on and off for three years, and it's still nowhere near finished, but i can still use it in a game nonetheless. I don't think time is really a major reason not to play 40k, I can think of plenty of others but that one just doesn't sit with me. A hobby is something for you to occupy your time with so you aren't left suspended in infinite boredom and tv-watching.
Um, what? I was very clearly explaining how it is in my personal life, which is why I started with "In my opinion..". Just because you may have all the time in the world to dedicate to 40k doesn't mean everyone else has, and vice versa. And actually it totally IS a valid reason why many people are leaving 40k, at least in my neck of the woods...But whatever.

Yes, I did elect to spend time on 40k. I used to have time for it. Now I do not, as quite frankly it is becoming more and more time consuming as time goes on (especially with the new edition every 20 months). Sorry you don't like that.

A hobby is something for you to occupy your time with so you aren't left suspended in infinite boredom and tv-watching

Oh right. I didn't realise you were the fucking Hobby Police. My mistake lol. But seriously, if you have nothing else to do in your life other than "hobbys", you may want to reflect on what you are doing with your life. Do you really spiral down into despair and "infinite boredom and watching TV" when you aren't putting time into 40k? If you are that dependant on 40k, maybe it's time to drop some acid, bang your girlfriend/wife a bit more, study, read a book, travel, exercise, scuba dive etc...You know, there is stuff out there other than 40k...I know that is shocking to a lot of 40k fanboys. But it's true. Honest.

Personally in my life as I get older I have less time to dedicate to wargaming. It could well be an age thing, as I am in my 30's. Most the people around me and at gaming clubs are also heading into their 30's. I really believe talking to people at gaming clubs and the ageing 40k fanbase that time needed to dedicate to 40k is a big factor.

Your logic is so superfluous when you say "Oh, but you don't have to paint your 100 models." No, I don't, but it's nice having a fully painted army, I find much more satisfaction from having a nice looking army or faction on the table. The point is it takes fucking years to paint, I do not have that time anymore as I get older, and i'd rather just play the gaming systems where I can knock out a faction in a week. When you combine it with having to cart around boxes of models, codices, rulebooks etc, finding storage space for it all it becomes a fucking pain in the ass.
With 40k: I get home from work, have to rush packing for half an hour, then cart it all to my gaming club, unpack it, re-pack it to take it home, then unpack it again the next day. With everything else: It takes me 3 minutes to pack everything into a tiny box and throw a tape measure. dice and a rulebook into my little back pack...I now have 25 minutes spare. That is a lot of time for me where I could be, you know, spending time with my wife so I can see her before going out.

This is just how it is with me and a lot of the people I know right now. I think your priorities change as you get older. I accept for other people this may not be a problem, as you may have more time. Great. Good for you. I am happy for you. But when time is at a premium do you not at least see how it could be a problem and an annoyance? Especially when you factor in things like having kids to look after. Suddenly those gaming systems that take up less time, space and hassle just become much more appealing. That is the very simple point I was trying to make. Not really sure why you got so defensive about it. But whatever dude. Enjoy your life the way you see fit. It aint anyone else's buisness.

SF
Straken's_Fist is offline  
 
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-13-14, 04:24 PM
Dazed and confused.
 
Khorne's Fist's Avatar
Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Posts: 8,495
Reputation: 105
Default

As said, it really sounds like you're not that interested in getting back into 40k. If you really wanted to you wouldn't need to ask the question.

I haven't really done anything 40k related for a while now, more down to the group of lads I game with losing interest at the advent of 6th, moving on to Flames of War and Bolt Action. However, a new SW codex has rekindled my interest in both playing and painting with 40k again, without needing to ask myself if it's worth it.
Khorne's Fist is offline  
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-13-14, 06:04 PM
Senior Member
 
Orochi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,861
Reputation: 9
Default

The best opponents I have ever played are the people with beautifully painted, unique and clearly loved armies.

Playing WAAC armies with the 'out of the box' look is part of GW, part of any style of gaming, I accept that.

I used to run a very 'try hard' style of play, with all my armies. And found all I had to paly for was the win.
I am now currently re-working my Night Lords, spent quite a lot of time and money to make an army I enjoy playing and (hopefully) being played.

Win/Loss record is a tiny corner of the game. It's like playing CoD purely for the K/D ratio.
If you're concerned about that, and it's the defining point on whether you return to 40k, I suggest you don't. WarmaHordes etc is fun as it is, don't put yourself in a position where you feel down because you can't 'win'.
Orochi is offline  
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-13-14, 06:32 PM
Senior Member
 
Moriouce's Avatar
Moriouce's Flag is: Sweden
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Borås
Posts: 2,195
Reputation: 63
Default

This thread got... Weird. You ask if it is worth it, you got peoples opinions and now you nag about it that it does not fit your life cause it is to time consuming? I'm in my 30ties aswell, wife, kid, work, squbadiving, birdwatching, hiking, running, 40k. I spend like 1-2 hours a week to 40k and then I count reading BL books. Does it for me. If you want a hobby that takes less time try; acid, bang your wife a bit more, study, read a book, travel, exercise, scubadive etc. Then what I read between the lines is that you want some deeper reason to do 40k just to make it right before someone who disapprove you doing it.

Good to be green

Barks Dakka Ladz: W3-D2-L3
Altansar Eldar: W3-D0-L2

Moriouce is offline  
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-13-14, 10:18 PM
Senior Member
 
Straken's_Fist's Avatar
Straken's_Fist's Flag is: South Georgia
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Wiltshire
Posts: 1,094
Reputation: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriouce View Post
This thread got... Weird. You ask if it is worth it, you got peoples opinions and now you nag about it that it does not fit your life cause it is to time consuming? I'm in my 30ties aswell, wife, kid, work, squbadiving, birdwatching, hiking, running, 40k. I spend like 1-2 hours a week to 40k and then I count reading BL books. Does it for me. If you want a hobby that takes less time try; acid, bang your wife a bit more, study, read a book, travel, exercise, scubadive etc. Then what I read between the lines is that you want some deeper reason to do 40k just to make it right before someone who disapprove you doing it.
I was NOT the OP actually, idiot.

SF
Straken's_Fist is offline  
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-13-14, 10:57 PM
ZOMGZOR CUSTOM USER TITLE
 
scscofield's Avatar
scscofield's Flag is: USA
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Finger Lakes Region of NY
Posts: 6,195
Reputation: 56
Default

stop now, all of you back the fuck up and calm down.

http://i.imgur.com/aPfHUHy.gif?1




scscofield is offline  
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-13-14, 11:38 PM
Ancient Relic
 
mcmuffin's Avatar
mcmuffin's Flag is: Ireland
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Waking up from my tomb world
Posts: 2,430
Reputation: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straken's_Fist View Post
Um, what? I was very clearly explaining how it is in my personal life, which is why I started with "In my opinion..". Just because you may have all the time in the world to dedicate to 40k doesn't mean everyone else has, and vice versa. And actually it totally IS a valid reason why many people are leaving 40k, at least in my neck of the woods...But whatever.

Yes, I did elect to spend time on 40k. I used to have time for it. Now I do not, as quite frankly it is becoming more and more time consuming as time goes on (especially with the new edition every 20 months). Sorry you don't like that.

A hobby is something for you to occupy your time with so you aren't left suspended in infinite boredom and tv-watching

Oh right. I didn't realise you were the fucking Hobby Police. My mistake lol. But seriously, if you have nothing else to do in your life other than "hobbys", you may want to reflect on what you are doing with your life. Do you really spiral down into despair and "infinite boredom and watching TV" when you aren't putting time into 40k? If you are that dependant on 40k, maybe it's time to drop some acid, bang your girlfriend/wife a bit more, study, read a book, travel, exercise, scuba dive etc...You know, there is stuff out there other than 40k...I know that is shocking to a lot of 40k fanboys. But it's true. Honest.

Personally in my life as I get older I have less time to dedicate to wargaming. It could well be an age thing, as I am in my 30's. Most the people around me and at gaming clubs are also heading into their 30's. I really believe talking to people at gaming clubs and the ageing 40k fanbase that time needed to dedicate to 40k is a big factor.

Your logic is so superfluous when you say "Oh, but you don't have to paint your 100 models." No, I don't, but it's nice having a fully painted army, I find much more satisfaction from having a nice looking army or faction on the table. The point is it takes fucking years to paint, I do not have that time anymore as I get older, and i'd rather just play the gaming systems where I can knock out a faction in a week. When you combine it with having to cart around boxes of models, codices, rulebooks etc, finding storage space for it all it becomes a fucking pain in the ass.
With 40k: I get home from work, have to rush packing for half an hour, then cart it all to my gaming club, unpack it, re-pack it to take it home, then unpack it again the next day. With everything else: It takes me 3 minutes to pack everything into a tiny box and throw a tape measure. dice and a rulebook into my little back pack...I now have 25 minutes spare. That is a lot of time for me where I could be, you know, spending time with my wife so I can see her before going out.

This is just how it is with me and a lot of the people I know right now. I think your priorities change as you get older. I accept for other people this may not be a problem, as you may have more time. Great. Good for you. I am happy for you. But when time is at a premium do you not at least see how it could be a problem and an annoyance? Especially when you factor in things like having kids to look after. Suddenly those gaming systems that take up less time, space and hassle just become much more appealing. That is the very simple point I was trying to make. Not really sure why you got so defensive about it. But whatever dude. Enjoy your life the way you see fit. It isn't anyone else's business.

SF
I wasn't having a go at you, I was questioning you. You seemed to completely misinterpret pretty much everything I said. What you do with your life is completely and utterly inconsequential to me, don't mistake me querying your logic for me actually giving the smallest particle of a shit what you elect to do with your time.

I'm going to address your questions, and disregard the completely absurd tone that you've chosen to take with them.

The whole 'infinite boredom and TV' was simply a figure of speech, which may have been lost on you. 40k is a distraction and a way to pass time that doesn't involve staring at a panel of lights that make shapes and colours. It's there as an alternative to some less stimulating ways to pass time.

I am not the hobby police, i have never studied hobby law and wouldn't know how to apprehend an armed and dangerous enemy of the hobby. So that's that debunked.

I'm not dependent on 40k in the slightest, up until a few weeks ago I hadn't touched a model in about a year and a half. I chose to get back into it not because I'm the metaphorical crack addict who's having a relapse, but because, as adults are perfectly allowed to do from my understanding, I changed my mind and actively wanted to reconnect with the hobby. I'd rather not do acid because my brain is quite capable of stimulating itself without the need to talk to inanimate objects or become terrified at the sight of a teacup. I work an average of about 50 or 60 hours per week, so I don't really think you have a place to tell me that I need more than just 'hobbys', or as i'd say 'hobbies' in my life. I also think the amount of time I spend . . . sexing. . . isn't really relevant, since 40k occupies a totally different time slot for me than the aforementioned bed related activities.

The word superfluous was also not really relevant to my logic, since logic can't really be superfluous, because that would mean having excess or too much logic. I don't see how that even makes sense.

I can see how a hobby might be an annoyance, and if that is the case then it probably shouldn't be one of your hobbies at all. Lot's of things irritate and annoy me, and in an astonishing turn of events, none of those annoyances are a hobby of mine.

As my final point, i'll just highlight the comedy of your closing statement, where you claim that I got defensive, yet if you read my post, simply questioning your logic, followed by your spate of personal attacks, apparent concerns for my sexual activities, and general raging, i might have said that it was you who was being overly defensive

G'day mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMuffin's Law
As an online discussion about 40k grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Squats approaches 1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathKlokk View Post
Keep in mind you are arguing "realism" about an army of genetically-altered supermen that are able to shrug off rocket propelled explosive bullets because someone is waving around a cup full of blood that reminds them of their long lost Super Daddy that was killed by there Extra Special-Super Uncle.
Space Wolves Tournament Results W:24 D:8 L:8
Jaws-ing my way to victory
mcmuffin is offline  
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-14-14, 06:09 AM
Senior Member
 
Moriouce's Avatar
Moriouce's Flag is: Sweden
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Borås
Posts: 2,195
Reputation: 63
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straken's_Fist View Post
I was NOT the OP actually, idiot.



SF

Haha! I didn't notice that late inte evening. Your post just fitted right in with what he had written before. Still, a weird relationship to an hobby. Sounds like you should talk with your other half about how to unlock more time for your hobby. If she is cool with your 40k hobby she could help find a way. Other than that is seems you have good priorities in your life since you want to spend with your family rather than plastic men. But then don't nag about it.

Good to be green

Barks Dakka Ladz: W3-D2-L3
Altansar Eldar: W3-D0-L2

Moriouce is offline  
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome