How to rank my players? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-04-14, 01:47 AM Thread Starter

fatmantis's Flag is: New Zealand

Default How to rank my players?

so i want to implement a ranking system at my store..im trying to find more ways to keep people motivated to play..and its getting harder and harder..my biggest issue is with the WAAC players..although i only have a few they really destroy the morale of the club..i try to keep on top of it and tell them but they dont want to listen.

So the reason i want to do a ranking system is so people can play people their own ability..i know this may be hard to do..but im looking for suggestions on how i can do this..

maybe somthing like
level of player...vetran..w/l/d
or points based

really could use some help
thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-04-14, 03:28 AM
Entropy Fetishist

Mossy Toes's Flag is: USA

I feel like the best way to implement this is to get the buy-in of people in the store. If you can get them to buy into the idea and want to get their names up on a board, if you can get them to want to buy into a sort of "store league" idea--cool, good. If it feels like an imposition, with you hovering over peoples' shoulders so that you can add their score--win or lose--to the Wall of Death, then you won't exactly be cultivating a good atmosphere in the shop. Perhaps let people have "ranked" matches and "unranked" matches, with only the former being added to the board--so if you are competitive enough to care about your score and are, say, trying out a new army, it wont reflect poorly on your stats.

The easiest way I could see this happening is some sort of competition or something. Nothing major, necessarily, but I dunno, some gubbins, a few $ store credit, some sort of gaming bragging rights, or something in that vein for the most wins marked on the board per month... obviously the little prize-thing might most often go to those selfsame WAAC players, but it'd be it'd be a way to "gamify" the scoreboard and give the WAAC players a reason to buy into the system. It might even promote more games played over the month, or something--or friendly rivalries between people high on the leaderboard.

This is just spitballing and brainstorming, of course. I do think "leaderboards as something to take pride in" is important, though, rather than "a big warning board I put up to warn people which players not to play with." It can serve that purpose, obviously, but... don't make that the explicit purpose of it.

CSM Plog, Tactica

What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator! Imperator!
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-04-14, 04:32 AM

The only way I see something like this having a positive benefit is if you can ensure the waac people are constantly at the bottom of the score board. Otherwise it's just going to make it worse.

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-04-14, 04:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
The only way I see something like this having a positive benefit is if you can ensure the waac people are constantly at the bottom of the score board. Otherwise it's just going to make it worse.
well yes this is my main fear as well..the WAAC players would just get a hard on for this and it would ruin it for other players.
i like the i dea of ranked or unranked games...but i just come back to the WAAC's and how to get them to chill...
they are my biggest complaint from customers..i try to tell people well just dont play them..but sometimes if the store is quiet they dont have a choice...
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-04-14, 07:56 AM
ZOMGZOR CUSTOM USER TITLE

scscofield's Flag is: USA

Ask all the players what they want and tell them your concerns. They are the ones that will have to want to do this.

http://i.imgur.com/aPfHUHy.gif?1

post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-04-14, 08:03 AM

neferhet's Flag is: Italy

Just make 2 types of games scheduled.
A WAAC games board, where you do sign only if you are willng to sheel out a cheesy list and a top competitive gaming, and a Casual game board, where do you sign if you just want to roll some dice and have a laugh. You can have a ranking system for both, separated. You could add that the Casual game board requires a list approval from the opponent. No cheesefest there. You might want to make tourneys for both, with WAAC game board using a $ prize and $ to sign in and the Casual for free with a symbolic prize
Just some random stuff. I feel for your problem. I know howw bad it can be.

The Legion of Perfects Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux View Post
The calls of Slaneesh stir so deeply within me, as if I was birthed from the very essence of it. For my ambition to infinitely ascend above all is never ending, like fire within it burns me to ever cindering ash. Lord of light and ascension is who I am, realities burn to ash at my very passing. My luminescence is unparalleled for I am luminosity itself, all light is but a shadow of my silhouette
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-04-14, 08:12 AM
Herald of The Warp

Nordicus's Flag is: Denmark

Running a gaming group myself, I know your troubles man - It can be a pain to manage, as all you want is to inspire people to play and have a good time.

In my experience, it goes downhill a bit at the start and then people start playing around the WAAC players. Currently the 2 players who plays the least are the WAAC players, as people simply don't challenge them - In other words, they exclude themselves as they cannot play at multiple levels and thus, people just start avoiding them. One of the 3 started making fluff lists and had fun, as he understood that in order to play regularly, you have to be able to have fun on both sides.

Maybe it sorts itself out - Otherwise I would recommend Neferhets approach.

Last edited by Nordicus; 07-04-14 at 08:14 AM.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-04-14, 08:13 AM

That is how my group ended up. The over the top douchebags just didn't get a chance to play.

Edit: The more I read this the more it looks like you just have a couple of bad eggs. If they are refusing to play nice your best route is most likely to tell them to not come. making a ranking system us going to make the problem worse not help it.

Last edited by scscofield; 07-04-14 at 08:15 AM.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-04-14, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scscofield View Post
That is how my group ended up. The over the top douchebags just didn't get a chance to play.

Edit: The more I read this the more it looks like you just have a couple of bad eggs. If they are refusing to play nice your best route is most likely to tell them to not come. making a ranking system us going to make the problem worse not help it.
yes its is only a couple of guys..but they are so argumentative that it does ruin it for other people..and when i try to talk to them the just ignore me..and i think oh well people just wont play you..i was hoping that would be the case..but it turned out that people just prefer not to come at all..

i like the idea of 2 boards..but the problem im having is i have to run the shop...promote etc..run my painting studio(which takes alot of my time) and then babysit these guys which is extremely frustrating..

i tried to not organise anything to see what would happen.. i even gave them membership point leading to store credit..if they organised games/tournament they could score large points..but that fell through..

so i comes down to me having to ring around/qq/wechat and other social media to get games organized..
its absolutely frustrating.

and when i ask well what to you guys want..nobody replies..or theyll say tournaments. great..organise a tournament hardly enough people come..ive cancelled lots of tourneys due to that
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-04-14, 08:46 AM

Not shocking that no one listens to you or cares, if you spend your time focused on your painting studio. Main reason the store here went belly up. The owner didn't spend enough time with his customers.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode