Losing interest and advice - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-11-14, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

raven_jim's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default Losing interest and advice

I'm stuck in a rut.

I've lost interest in my main eldar army as I'm stating a new space marine list but I'm also getting impatient getting a sizeable force of space marines table top ready

I was thinking with the new unbound rule of using my eldar with the small amount of space marines I've got ready

Has anyone tried an unbound mixed list. Are they any good?

I just need to get back into it as I'm getting a bit bored of 40k at the moment

Eldar W15-D3-L1 no longer play

Marines W9-D1-L4

Nids W1-D1-L1 no longer play

Chaos W1-D0-L0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-11-14, 11:15 AM

Unbound can be a nice army for anything. But in general because of the major loss of not having objective secured, you need to really min-max, or take in units that work well together.

Your better bet is probably to throw out as much space marines as you can that you like and use Allies formations (you can have multiple) to add in 1 HQ 1-2 Troop, 0-1 Elite/Fast/Heavy at a time till full. This will keep the objective secured bonus for both armies. Means you can have those nice squads of 3 jetbikers to sweep up objectives every turn and throw in a bit of psy power to back your army up.

Dark Angel Librarians throwing Prescience on to units of War Walkers with twin shuriken cannons / starcannons / scatter lasers while he is holding a power field gen to give them all a 4++ save used to be a nice tactic.

Last edited by mayegelt; 06-11-14 at 11:20 AM.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-11-14, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayegelt View Post
Unbound can be a nice army for anything. But in general because of the major loss of not having objective secured, you need to really min-max, or take in units that work well together.

Your better bet is probably to throw out as much space marines as you can that you like and use Allies formations (you can have multiple) to add in 1 HQ 1-2 Troop, 0-1 Elite/Fast/Heavy at a time till full. This will keep the objective secured bonus for both armies. Means you can have those nice squads of 3 jetbikers to sweep up objectives every turn and throw in a bit of psy power to back your army up.

Dark Angel Librarians throwing Prescience on to units of War Walkers with twin shuriken cannons / starcannons / scatter lasers while he is holding a power field gen to give them all a 4++ save used to be a nice tactic.
That was my way of thinking, get enough to have a decent bound marine attachment. (I was meant to say bound list no unbound in this post)

So can allies of convenience cast powers on each other? I was always under the impression that only battle brother can? I've never fully read the ally rule in 6th or 7th as I've never used it

Marines W9-D1-L4

Chaos W1-D0-L0

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-11-14, 12:54 PM

IntereoVivo's Flag is: Ghana

I play a main Eldar force with Salamander Allies and it is tons of fun. Pretty effective as well.

I highly recommend it.

Also, only Battle Brothers can cast powers on each other.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-11-14, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntereoVivo View Post
I play a main Eldar force with Salamander Allies and it is tons of fun. Pretty effective as well.

I highly recommend it.

Also, only Battle Brothers can cast powers on each other.
This is what I am going for, Eldar and Salamanders. So I am glad to hear it works well, can I ask what you use?

My interest in 40k is starting to increase again

Marines W9-D1-L4

Chaos W1-D0-L0
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-11-14, 02:46 PM

Oh yeah, the prescience must have come from one of the Eldar bits. The powerfield affected friendly and enemy models though so still worked regardless.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-11-14, 03:03 PM

IntereoVivo's Flag is: Ghana

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven_jim View Post
This is what I am going for, Eldar and Salamanders. So I am glad to hear it works well, can I ask what you use?

My interest in 40k is starting to increase again
My standard list (I play casual) is:

Eldar:
Spiritseer

10x Guardians w/ Scatter Laser
Wave Serpent w/ Holo Fields, TL Scatter Laser, ShurCannon
10x Guardians w/ Scatter Laser
Wave Serpent w/ Holo Fields, TL Scatter Laser, ShurCannon
5x Dire Avengers

6x Warp Spiders w/ Exarch, Spinneret Rifle, Fast Shot, Night Vision
6x Warp Spiders w/ Exarch, Spinneret Rifle, Fast Shot, Night Vision

Fire Prism w/ Holo Fields, ShurCannon
Falcon w/ Holo Fields, ShurCannon, BLance

Salamanders:
Vulcan He'stan

Command Squad w/ 4x Melta, Apoth
Drop Pod

5x Tac Marines w/ Melta
Drop Pod

5x Scouts w/ ML (Flakk), Cammo Cloaks, 4x Sniper Rifles

10x Dev Marines w/ 4x Heavy Flamers
Drop Pod

--------------------------------------------------------------
That is off the top of my head so the points might not be quite right. I run the Devs as a 10x squad so I can combat squad them once I get out of the DP and hit two targets with 2x HFlamers. Sometimes I'll swap out the Devs for a Sternguard w/ Grav squad. Having two troops in the Salamander detachment lets me play Vulkan as my warlord, meaning all my Melta are master crafted.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-11-14, 03:09 PM

Kinda depends what you have ATM for space marines and what you want I guess. As I said supplement what you are after till you get what you need.

As said I would get a couple of Eldar Jetbikers on the field and if you lack a bit of anti tank stuff then take your fire dragons loaded in waveserpent.

After that start with your marines. Things like your leader is a nice place to start. Vulkan is good but lacks AP2 what can be a pain. However he does make all your meltas in your army better, but I found a chapter master with burning blade (what becomes a master crafted version) better when shoved on a bike (making bikers in to troops).

Get a pair of tactical squads as you kinda have to. 6 man squads can work well throwing them in a razorback with TL heavy flamer if you want to stick to a theme (though you don't have to if you have the biker lord).

More bikers are nice and the attack bike can have a multi melta if you want.

Stormraven can be brutal as they are flyers with the Assault Vehicle rule. So you can move it, dive out and charge in the same turn. Makes it nice for assault squad or veterans or terminator delivery system. As well as being able to throw an Ironclad Dreadnaught down as well.
Though having to start in reserve means you aren't getting on the table till turn 2 and even then probably not close enough to drop them in till turn 3. So half the game is over at that point.

Personally I think Salamanders are probably one of the worse chapters ATM, what is a shame as they used to be really good.
Current tops for me is White Scars (+1 to jink is nutty), Raven Guard equally so as everyone gets stealth on turn 1, and everyone gets scout. Also they can use the jump packs in both assault and movement phase of the same turn.

Last edited by mayegelt; 06-11-14 at 03:15 PM.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-11-14, 04:16 PM

Moriouce's Flag is: Sweden

Look at your Eldars. Under what circumstance would they encounter space marines and why would they ally. I atleast works better when I have a story to follow.

Good to be green

Barks Dakka Ladz: W3-D2-L3
Altansar Eldar: W3-D0-L2

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-12-14, 12:36 AM

Samules's Flag is: USA

Eldar and humans are usually far more threatened by chaos, necrons and tyranids than each other. Allies of convenience.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode