7th Edition Unbound: What actually is allowed? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-26-14, 08:04 AM Thread Starter
ZOMGZOR CUSTOM USER TITLE

scscofield's Flag is: USA

Default 7th Edition Unbound: What actually is allowed?

This thread: https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=154786 is the inspiration for the thread your currently in.

From the 7th Edition rules:

The Unbound method is the easiest way to organise an army: simply use whichever units from your collection you want. Besides being a quick way to get your models on the tabletop, the Unbound method also allows you to try out exciting combinations in your army, such as fielding a whole force of Tanks or Flyers, or even of special characters.

That is it as far as I can tell in regards to the rules dealing with unbound armies. The allies matrix relations apply but beyond that I do not see any restrictions.

The question in that thread I listed at the top was if a Eldar based Unbound list could use Dark Eldar Transports.

The way I read the rules I want to say yes they could, without having anything else from the DE Codex.

If you wanted to do a Unbound army with 5 Ork Trukks, 15 SM Rhinos, and two Tau Devilfish, it would be 'legal' by the unbound rules. You would just have to nominate one of them to be a Warlord and be aware of how the allies system would impact them.

What do the rest of you guys think?

http://i.imgur.com/aPfHUHy.gif?1

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-26-14, 08:21 AM

Sethis's Flag is: United Kingdom

I would suggest that it is not allowed, because even Unbound armies use the points system.

In order to pay points for something, then you have to field it legally from it's codex entry. Given that you cannot purchase a dedicated transport without also purchasing a unit, then I don't think you can run them on their own, in the same way that you cannot field a plasma gun and a missile launcher (another unit option) without the base model or unit that they were purchased for.

So while it does say "anything" then I believe that you still need to adhere to the internal structure of the codex, otherwise you could potentially argue for the legality of the Land Raider that I glued 8 Assault Cannons onto. It's a model in my collection, after all - but it doesn't follow a codex entry and therefore is not allowed.

90% of people think they are above average.

Statistically Improbable. Psychologically Inevitable.
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-26-14, 08:27 AM Thread Starter
ZOMGZOR CUSTOM USER TITLE

scscofield's Flag is: USA

A DT is a unit type though, it has a set point cost and set upgrades. In most of the codex DT sections, it states that they do not take up a Force Org but function as separate units.

http://i.imgur.com/aPfHUHy.gif?1

post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-26-14, 09:46 AM

Varakir's Flag is: United Kingdom

I would be inclined to agree with sethis, the DT are an option for a unit so you would need to field the unit to get the DT.

My Salamander Logs & Army Showcase:
The Ashbringers 3rd co. ::: Into the fires of Battle:::Army Showcase

Currently Painting:

Landraider Redeemer
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-26-14, 09:55 AM

AAAAAAAAARRRGGHH's Flag is: Denmark

A DT is an upgrade for a unit. So you cannot purchase a DT unless you have a unit to purchase it for. Like Sethis says, you also cannot have a Plasma gun hovering around without a wielder.
It seems pretty clear cut to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezlad View Post
So you're a wanker?
Who cares? Anyone that says they don't wank is a lying twat. Wank hard, wank often.
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-26-14, 09:56 AM

I guess it depends how they are bought. If you have on unit lists saying "This unit can buy a XXXX for the unit" anywhere then no it cant be purchased unless a unit that has that rule is able to take it. However if it is like a Falcon Gravtank that is just able to be bought without needing to be attached to another squad then go for it.
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-26-14, 10:14 AM
nice boy, daft though !

bitsandkits's Flag is: United Kingdom

you guys are clearly missing the point of unbound by the looks of it
as its quoted above
The Unbound method is the easiest way to organise an army: simply use whichever units from your collection you want. Besides being a quick way to get your models on the tabletop, the Unbound method also allows you to try out exciting combinations in your army, such as fielding a whole force of Tanks or Flyers, or even of special characters.

if someone wants to field an army of DT what does it really matter? its just gonna be for fun at the end of the day, wanna field a 8 assualt cannon land raider, i say go ahead, make it a feature of the game, just make sure you pay a good amount of points for it and crack on with a game, if it wipes the board, dont play it again, if it dies first turn try again, its a game have fun with it.

personally i think GW is trying to undo years of making 40k too anal and straight laced and saying , dust off your imaginations and have some fun with it,fuck balance,fuck competative and tourneys,have a beer and a smile and crack on

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON
post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-26-14, 10:30 AM

Fine.. if that is the way you are playing bits and kits... then I will play a 500pt game with 55 horrors... not in their min of 10 models, but all in 1s (that's how they used to be in kill teams until rule changed)... that's 55 +d6 psy dice... awesome!!! oh and they can summon units of 10 so don't worry (for reference the kill team rules allowed brotherhood of psys to all count as individuals as every mob did. And could cast 2d6 shots at WC1, so with the 22 you could get for 200pts you had 44-264 shots a turn)

That is why you still have the limitations. Also stops things like people loading out squads to have full heavy/special weapons. Or say with Eldar working out that actually my guardian defender squad is now going to have 5 scatter lasers or bright lances... Or multiple Crimson Hunter Exarch.

Last edited by mayegelt; 05-26-14 at 10:34 AM.
post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-26-14, 10:39 AM
nice boy, daft though !

bitsandkits's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayegelt View Post
Fine.. if that is the way you are playing bits and kits... then I will play a 500pt game with 55 horrors... not in their min of 10 models, but all in 1s (that's how they used to be in kill teams until rule changed)... that's 55 +d6 psy dice... awesome!!! oh and they can summon units of 10 so don't worry (for reference the kill team rules allowed brotherhood of psys to all count as individuals as every mob did. And could cast 2d6 shots at WC1, so with the 22 you could get for 200pts you had 44-264 shots a turn)

That is why you still have the limitations. Also stops things like people loading out squads to have full heavy/special weapons. Or say with Eldar working out that actually my guardian defender squad is now going to have 5 scatter lasers or bright lances... Or multiple Crimson Hunter Exarch.
i dont play 500 points ,thats for amateurs :p , besides if i did play 500 points and you turned up with 55 horrors so what? if you have paid the points i wouldnt mind you fielding them, its about opening your self up to change, i have kicked around this game since before we even had codex books and FOC etc and back in the day you were much more free to pick and choose what you wanted to put on the board, if your 55 horrors bummed me off the table in two turns, so what? i like a challenge.

I say no limitations, field however you want, throw the codex restraints out the window and have a game how you want it, if you want a 10 man 5 scatter laser unit then do it! i never saw the point of the other 8 men stood around doing nothing anyway. you want multiple crimson hunter exarch go for it, make sure you give them a cool name and back story too.

if you want limitations and restrictions and structure stick with playing the normal way.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON

Last edited by bitsandkits; 05-26-14 at 10:52 AM.
post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-26-14, 10:47 AM

You failed to get my point, my 55 were all in units of 1.

That means 55 LV1 sorcerers giving 1 Warp charge each.

Up the pts how ever much you like I could add an additional LV1 sorc per 9pts I have to play with.
If just using flickering fire each model has a 50% chance to cast 2d6 S5 AP4 shots, and can all fire at separate targets, oh and any CC or shooting you do against them from units could only kill them 1 at a time as they are all separate.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode