7th Ed - what units might you take that you didn't before? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-24-14, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

EmbraCraig's Flag is: Scotland

Default 7th Ed - what units might you take that you didn't before?

So with 7th now starting to arrive in people's hands, we've got new options on how to organise our armies... either unbound forces, letting you put together any combination of stuff on your shelf, or easier access to multiple detachments now that they're available at any points cost.

Outside of obvious spammy take-all-the-riptide/helldrake type stuff that has everyone so worked up, that got me thinking - every tactica out there has at least some units where the comment is 'yeah, they're good, but with limited slots, you're better off using the FoC slot on a xxxxxxx'. We've got the option to not worry about that any more, so does this change any of people's choices?

The 'nids elite slots seem a good example to me - Zoanthropes are still going to be the first thing people want... Hive Guard and Vemonthropes are next on most people's lists... do the 7th ed changes make Lictors an option for more people? With the new Psychic phase and extra dice for extra psykers, simply having more Zoans might still be the best option, but the changes could at least open things up a bit more. Unfortunately for the poor Pyrovore, I'd guess he's still going to stay on the shelf in the shop.

My other army is Tau - my fast attack slots usually get kept for Pathfinders, but in an unbound army I might find space for the two flyers I've got now. They might not be brilliant, but now that I don't need to give up anything specific to take them, they might see a bit more air time.

Anyone else thinking along the same lines? Please tell me some other folks are using this as a way to put a better variety of things on the table, rather than simply spamming more of the same
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-24-14, 06:49 PM

LokiDeathclaw's Flag is: United Kingdom

I have 3 dreads in my collection. Many don't like them but I'm looking forward to running them beside my CC WG Termies and TWC. I don't play competitively so should be fun!

Loki Deathclaw's Great Company-https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/showthread.php?t=126454

High Elves Plog- Caledor Warhost-https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=154490
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-24-14, 08:07 PM

I don't like bound armies they have too many downsides objective secured being the big one. I do know I will be using my chaos much more to ally in with my crons just for the sake of using psychic powers though I will most likely kill it from perils on malific a lot. An army of just psykers could be funny just to see what it could do/ summon. I mean an army of helldrakes can't score as they don't pose much of a threat if you just spam them. ANd a lot of the really good units are only really good if they have other units backing them up.

Me: To be honest im amazed there isn't a chaos god of not revising or at least chaos god of procrastination

MidnightSun: There will be, when enough people do it. Y'know when the Eldar were all engaging in their hedonism and Slaanesh ripped open the Eye of Terror with his creation? Slaanesh will have NOTHING on the God of Procrastination, and his vile minions will carve the galaxy asunder in a thousand year reign of blood.... Tomorrow

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-24-14, 08:17 PM
Rattlehead

More Boyz. Played 4 games of 7th so far, and Boyz have won me three of them very convincingly.

But it depends on when my new book comes out

For Dark Angels, pretty much the same stuff I already run. Ezekiel got even better, with Mind Worm being *actually really good* now, and Deathwing and Marines in Rhinos are about as good as they've ever been. I don't think 7th calls for a radical change in my army composition - some faster stuff to get the Tactical Objectives, perhaps, but on the whole 7th is 6th with a few tweaks to make it better. Conveniently, most of those changes benefit me (but not as much as Tyranids - ho damn are Tyranids so much better now).

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-24-14, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightSun View Post
(but not as much as Tyranids - ho damn are Tyranids so much better now).
Amen Brutha

Me: To be honest im amazed there isn't a chaos god of not revising or at least chaos god of procrastination

MidnightSun: There will be, when enough people do it. Y'know when the Eldar were all engaging in their hedonism and Slaanesh ripped open the Eye of Terror with his creation? Slaanesh will have NOTHING on the God of Procrastination, and his vile minions will carve the galaxy asunder in a thousand year reign of blood.... Tomorrow
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-24-14, 09:09 PM

Words_of_Truth's Flag is: United Kingdom

I may use land speeders in future, as cheap units to capture objectives.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-24-14, 09:22 PM
Rattlehead

Oh, the other unit is Killa Kans. They seem a lot more survivable now that exploding them is harder, and they were already pretty reasonable.

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-24-14, 11:40 PM

The Irish Commissar's Flag is: Ireland

There are three lists I can't wait to try out. One is an entire shining spear army led by an autarch. Second a sternguard army led by pedro kantor and third imperial guard tank company.

6th Edition. 7th Edition

Eldar. Eldar
W14-D1-L4. W2-D0-L0

Imperial guard
W3-D2-L1

Space marine's
W0-D0-L0
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-25-14, 02:43 AM

Squire's Flag is: Soth Korea

A proper tyranid horde would seem more doable with no 6 troop limit. A horde at 1850 points could reasonably use 5 or 6 slots for gaunt units alone, but that wouldn't leave space for the tervigons and warriors you'd need to keep them in synapse.

I see extra heavy support being good for nids too, with biovores, mawlocs, T-fexes, exocrines, carnifexes and trygons all competing for three slots before. In my 1850 list I have three biovores, a mawloc and two dakkafexes which meant no space for a T-fex or exocrine. Not a problem now.

When playing with ideas for ork lists I always found the heavy support limit to be a problem. I came up with a list using two HS battewagons (and one more as a dedicated transport) and a unit of kanz. I would have liked to add a big gunz unit or maybe another unit of kanz to that list but it wasn't an option before

Getting back to tyranids, elites (as mentioned) is a big one. Now smash is nerfed I can see zoans and hive guard being a priority, and if the new psychic phase nerfs zoanthropes (I don't know if it does or not) maybe haywire hive guard could have some use. Most importantly there's no balancing act between your ranged anti AV13/14 and your venomthropes. Two units of zoans and two of venoms is a reality now

I just hope the majority of the community are sensible with the new looser limitations.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-25-14, 06:03 AM

The Sturk's Flag is: USA

More Command Barges than I normally run (I usually run 1 in most lists).

Combined with the improved Jink, the ability to allocate shooting attacks to the Overlord (such as anti-tank shots), immunity to Immobilization, being locked in combat, re-rolls to charging, challenges, and attacking its front armor in assault, Command Barges became even more durable.

Even though they removed sweep attacks in the Main Rulebook, they can still perform them thanks for it's entry in the Necron Codex. AND they can even be revived thanks to the Overlord's Ever-Living!

And all that for the price of being unable to disembark? Yes please!

Other than that, I plan to use Unbounded to make a Destroyer-themed army. Nothing but T5 anti-marine jump infantry.

Edit: Khorne is pleased with my post count.

Last edited by The Sturk; 05-25-14 at 06:07 AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode