Mission Needed: Surviving Waves of Fodder - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-14, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
JUGGERNUT

venomlust's Flag is: USA

Hmm, this is getting complicated!

At this point I'm not sure if I'll have the players pick their own armies or come up with lists for them to use ahead of time. Wouldn't want them to either pick something stupid and stand no chance, or be too smart and min/max the best possible loadout.

SUFFER NOT THE PONY TO LIVE.

- - AMATEUR KHORNESTAR: MY BLOG THING - -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-14, 11:05 AM

Well if you explain to them what they are going to be going against.

AKA mass waves of T3-4 guys with little to no armour who when killed come back again.
OR like my example
many light armoured buildings that spew out hordes of mobs so long as they aren't blown up.

They should get the idea of what is going on. Though TBH have a test run with a friend or 2 explaining it and make tweeks to how the game plays as needed. It is only a bit of fun after all, and they can always say "Nah, lets just do a normal battle." if they don't like the sound of the idea.

The zombies idea also works well if you give them the Necron reanimation protocol thing that means they might get shot down, but after that phase they might just get back up again.

I would also say my idea may not work well in very small games as you would still be limited in what you could have.
So for instants 500pts if you went by my example before would be 15(ish) portals, 7 on T1, 4 T2, 4 T3.

Daemon turn 1
Now this means that on T1 you get 7 portals and average you will get 163pts of zombies/daemons.

Defenders Turn 1.
Likely chance is they will have 1-4 heavy weapons able to blow some portals up. THOUGH the rest of the squad is then rendered useless unless they can split fire.
Lets say you had 3 heavy weapons and blow up 2 portals.

Daemon turn 2
4 more portals drop from the sky, so you now have 5 original + 4 new = 9 & about 100-200ish pts of zombie/daemons depending if any got shot dead.
Spawning phase means you are going to get about 200pts worth now with the extra portals. So 9 portals and 300-400ish pts of zombie/daemons.

Defenders Turn 2
Same as the first turn though mobs are getting closer meaning that you are in firing range with the squads without heavy weapons. You still kill 2 portals but also manage to wipe out 200pts of troops with bolter fire.

Daemon turn 3
4 more portals drop, you are now getting 250ish pts of models this turn to combine with your 100-200pts of troops currently on the table. Some of your units will engage the enemy, likely chance is trying to lock up some of those heavy weapons if possible.

Defenders Turn 3
Only 1 heavy weapon is able to blow up a portal this turn as the others are locked in combat now, but you manage to once again finish off 200pts of zombie/daemons with shooting and melee.

Daemon turn 4
10 portals up, about 225pts of units a turn.

blar blar blar, game continues on as normal if the marines can keep their heavy weapons blowing up a few portals they will slowly be able to stop the endless train of zombie/daemons or at least keep the numbers so low that they will win due to being able to keep the numbers down.
OR if they fail at blowing up these portals then they face an ever increasing tide of mobs that despite not being able to really stand a good chance at hitting/wounding and it not just bouncing off marine armour saves will eventually win because of sheer numbers as the portals are spawning them 1/2 an army every turn.

Last edited by mayegelt; 05-21-14 at 11:07 AM.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-14, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
JUGGERNUT

Awesome. Have some rep for your help, much appreciated.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-22-14, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
JUGGERNUT

Some particular ideas I very much like:

Reanimation on the zombies sounds awesome!

Spawning points moving forward makes new spawns more of a threat.

Unit size on the zombies is really dependent on how they spawn, I'm thinking. If multiple small units are spawning all over the place, then a 10-man tactical squad is going to waste a lot of shooting on 5 or 6 zombies. Splitting them up into combat squads could be the answer to that.

Maybe a combination of spawning methods is the answer? Maybe 2 or 3 large units from the get, and then smaller units are spawned by the GUO or portals. Too many portals vs. units of zombies could be overwhelming.

Should I keep this as ONLY zombies, or should I include the plaguebearers/herald of nurgle/GUO to make things interesting?

Here are the lists I'm messing around with right now. There are points discrepancies, but due to the sheer number of bodies on the daemons' side I'm thinking it might work out.

SPACE MARINES: Defenders: 1010 points

HQ:

Captain: Artificer Armor, Plasma Pistol, Shield Eternal, Thunder Hammer, Jump Pack
Librarian: ML2, Jump Pack

TROOPS:

Tactical Squad x10: Flamer, Missile Launcher

FAST ATTACK:

Assault Squad x10: Flamer x2, Veteran Sergeant w/ Plasma Pistol

DAEMONS: attackers: 850 points

HQ:

Great Unclean One: Mastery Level 3, 2x Greater Rewards (1 Balesword)
Herald of Nurgle: Lesser Reward, Locus of Fecundity

TROOPS:

Cultists (Plague Zombies) x90, split however is best. Not all need necessarily be used.
Plaguebearers x10: Plagueridden
Plaguebearers x10: Plagueridden

Last edited by venomlust; 05-24-14 at 03:28 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode