Speeder Spam, good or bad? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-28-14, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
Closet Dictator

Old Man78's Flag is: Ireland

Default Speeder Spam, good or bad?

Dear Heretics, Oldman again (must be the whole tub of Hagan Daas I ate) after painting up my old speeder (really old the weapons were metal!) for the army painting competition, I realised how much I liked the model and that although delicate can pack quite a bit of decent fire power for reletively few points. I had already thought of deploying a squadron of 3 dual H.B speeders as a cheap mobile light infantry/hoard killer but Ii so like the model and because it fits in really well to an astartes force fluff wise I thought about getting a bunch of them for my army 6 or more. So my questions are a) would it be considered bad gamesmanship to spam it and b) is it tactically viable or c) fuck it and do what I like?

Your thoughts please, Oldman xoxox

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-28-14, 11:29 PM

neferhet's Flag is: Italy

well, basically c) is right answer to any gaming question...
but i'd say that it's not dickish, because i would LOVE to bo be faced by so many squishy and soft hitting targets. This said, yes, it can be tactically viable, but you must have a role for the suckers..ehm..the vehicles...namely NOT arming them with the crappi heavy bolter and going fast speed towards vehicles with melta cannon or against infantry/objectives with heavy flamers and, if "Storm", used with small scout squads for claiming those objectives or to act as beacon (beacon buyed with the scouts) for heavy hitting deepstrikers. This said, bikers are just better, imo, being more resilient and numerous. Also, remember that speeders will not take advantage from any chapter tactics besides Iron Hands (so much lol). SO, i would never spam speeders, but three of them could come in handy and truly funny in a non competitve game.

The Legion of Perfects Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux View Post
The calls of Slaneesh stir so deeply within me, as if I was birthed from the very essence of it. For my ambition to infinitely ascend above all is never ending, like fire within it burns me to ever cindering ash. Lord of light and ascension is who I am, realities burn to ash at my very passing. My luminescence is unparalleled for I am luminosity itself, all light is but a shadow of my silhouette
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-29-14, 03:50 AM

refractory's Flag is: USA

I play several space marine armies, always have, always will. IMO, no one spams speeders better than DA. I run a unit of 3-5(depending on size of game) with TML, HB. I run them with a RW darkshroud, and I give it an AC. this makes them very hard to kill for any thing that doesnt ignore cover. it also creates a highly mobile fire support unit, that can sit back and deal with armour, but most importantly infantry.

I use this unit to support my deathwing terminators, a lot of times people underestimate how much damage this unit can dish out, esp when you leave a divvy bookkeeper in the back to give them just a little better chance at staying alive and making sure they obliterate their targets.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-29-14, 02:07 PM

the_barwn's Flag is: Great Britain

Hellllllll no..... I will be running a few squads of each for my Raptors but then according to Fw in the Badab books thats how we roll

they are nice to deliver scouts too

Quote:
Originally Posted by normtheunsavoury View Post
"Hey! I just made a full suit of tactical dreadnought armour!"

"Cool! Does it work?"

"Well, my virginity now has a 2+ invulnerable save so yeah, kinda did "
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-29-14, 02:31 PM
Herald of The Warp

Nordicus's Flag is: Denmark

I would always say that you should go with route C. It's a game that is meant to be played for fun, and if you think this could be fun to try - Then don't let anyone stop you. Try it out, see how it plays and judge from there.

Oh and let us know how it goes :D
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-29-14, 10:17 PM

Sethis's Flag is: United Kingdom

I've had a lot of sucess running 6-9 Typhoons with Heavy Bolters. They have an absolute field day against things like Orks.

I'd advise against double Heavy Bolters though - they're not impressive guns. If you're going to be adding their firepower to a better weapon, then obviously 3 S5 shots doesn't HURT any, but it isn't going to create significant damage on it's own.

90% of people think they are above average.

Statistically Improbable. Psychologically Inevitable.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode