Help playing IG/AM - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-22-14, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

Default Help playing IG/AM

So i have this dilemma id like some advice with.
I play IG. Me and my friends play casual. You will not see super tricks or allies combos to make very strong lists. We basically play what we like in amounts we prefer.

With my IG, with a standard army with no real tricks, i almost always blow the living poo out of my opponents. Sure some units will get in CC and die, but thats the point and i still have lots remaining to kill everything thats left. The amount of firepower, even with a bs3, and the blast templates is so overwhelming.

This puts me in a spot i dont really like:
- firstly, id like so occassionaly play something different that stand and shoot with a few troops advancing. I feel i dont have many options

- secondly, id like my opponents to enjoy their game they play. Sure enough stuff happens thats fun but in the end i stand and shoot all their units to the afterlife. Im literally afraid to play Wyverns because of the sheer damage output. I always play a Punisher, adding Pask? Same deal. I thought about secretly playing less points to make things seem more fair.

Has anyone else experienced this and could you advise me in what to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-23-14, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gharbad View Post
So i have this dilemma id like some advice with.
I play IG. Me and my friends play casual. You will not see super tricks or allies combos to make very strong lists. We basically play what we like in amounts we prefer.

With my IG, with a standard army with no real tricks, i almost always blow the living poo out of my opponents. Sure some units will get in CC and die, but thats the point and i still have lots remaining to kill everything thats left. The amount of firepower, even with a bs3, and the blast templates is so overwhelming.

This puts me in a spot i dont really like:
- firstly, id like so occassionaly play something different that stand and shoot with a few troops advancing. I feel i dont have many options

- secondly, id like my opponents to enjoy their game they play. Sure enough stuff happens thats fun but in the end i stand and shoot all their units to the afterlife. Im literally afraid to play Wyverns because of the sheer damage output. I always play a Punisher, adding Pask? Same deal. I thought about secretly playing less points to make things seem more fair.

Has anyone else experienced this and could you advise me in what to do.
If you feel that your IG is overpowered compared to your friends, and doesn't let you have fun , try to make more fluffy lists, like Rough Riders or penal legions only.
You could always try to proxy your army as something else and just run models as SM, or actually run them as Renegades and Heretics from FW rules, which you can legally find online for free.
Just experiment, run blobs of guard with CC weapons in your enemies face and see how that goes

Or stormtroopers only there are a lot of different rules you can find online for different guard regiments.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-23-14, 04:08 PM

rayrod64's Flag is: USA

I went through the same situation. I got to the point of being bored with my stand back and fire army list so i made the exact opposite. I made a assault army. chimeras with shotgun vets, Snipers to pin down opposing troops. At the time i was playing a Catachan list so i had the traps and ambush troops set up, lots of footsloggers to throw at marine squads....
Admittedly i didnt win as much but i had more fun.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-23-14, 04:11 PM

neferhet's Flag is: Italy

Just play it the hard way. No vehicles at all, regimental standard, shotgun vets with carapace and meltaguns, commissars with power axes, yarrick as warlord, full squad of lancers and bucketloads of fu*ing Bullgrins. And win, if you can :D

The Legion of Perfects Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux View Post
The calls of Slaneesh stir so deeply within me, as if I was birthed from the very essence of it. For my ambition to infinitely ascend above all is never ending, like fire within it burns me to ever cindering ash. Lord of light and ascension is who I am, realities burn to ash at my very passing. My luminescence is unparalleled for I am luminosity itself, all light is but a shadow of my silhouette
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-23-14, 04:45 PM

Straken's_Fist's Flag is: South Georgia

Yeah I had a list back in 5th that was similar: Very sit back with a gunline and shoot. It was good but became boring and not very enjoyable.

Luckily I have found with Guard you can mix it up a bit and they are more flexible than people think. I started adding things like outflanking scout sentinels, deep striking storm troopers and a couple of chimera vets to go along with one blob, plus a vendetta, some artillery and a tank or two: Hitting them from the land, sea and air is MUCH more fun than sticking to just chimera vets, or just blobs, or just MSUs in my opinion.

Try mixing it up: You can make really decent assaulty blobs with the new codex, especially if allying in Inquisition and throwing in characters like Straken.
x2 30-man blobs with flamers, maybe some power axes, a priest and a primaris psyker or inquisitor can make quite a mean assault unit that can also lay down some hurt with all those twin linked lasgun shots. This gives you much more variation rather than sit back and shoot with a gunline, and as such I find it really fun. Or you could look into the new Tempestus units, have fun deep striking with an elite force. Or Orgyns/Bullhgryns mixed with Straken or Yarrick. Just experiment. Guard have a lot of variation when you dig deeper into them.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode