StormWing + Carcharodons + .... = Profit? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-22-14, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

Xabre's Flag is: USA

Default StormWing + Carcharodons + .... = Profit?

So I've been thinking of ways to further abuse the Storm Wing formation. One of the rules is that the Storm Raven can only transport models from the Marine Codex; no Blood Brothers or otherwise. So that got me thinking about how I can best use something like this.

Tyberos the Red Wake lets you field him plus a 5 man squad of Lightning Claw termies as troops. Right there, that's your allied detachment of Space Sharks. Now if you field a Stormwing, they can be flying in the Storm Raven.

But who would suit as the best other army to be with them? They're forced to be desperate allies because of the Sharks' rules, but if you're throwing a single dedicated blender unit into the fray immediately, maybe they're too busy to worry about the rest of your army.

Could give you some nice air support in a Tau army (granted, they have so much anti-air anyway, but better than their own fliers), or maybe even a VERY unique spin on a Grey Knight army, sitting back at 24" to shoot stuff up. Eldar, maybe?

Love to hear some thoughts on this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-23-14, 06:58 PM
Rattlehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xabre View Post
Tyberos the Red Wake lets you field him plus a 5 man squad of Lightning Claw termies as troops. Right there, that's your allied detachment of Space Sharks. Now if you field a Stormwing, they can be flying in the Storm Raven.
I don't like it. Yeah, it's a cool unit, but what army really wants a kinda punchy melee counter-attack unit in an expensive transport? Most armies that want it can already do it.

Quote:
But who would suit as the best other army to be with them? They're forced to be desperate allies because of the Sharks' rules, but if you're throwing a single dedicated blender unit into the fray immediately, maybe they're too busy to worry about the rest of your army.
Killing five Terminators isn't particularly difficult though - their threat level just isn't that high. If there were ten of them, or they had Thunder Hammers and Storm Shields, I'd be worried about them, but 5 LC Terminators and a Captain with Lightning Claws? Not exactly the stuff of nightmares.

Quote:
Could give you some nice air support in a Tau army (granted, they have so much anti-air anyway, but better than their own fliers), or maybe even a VERY unique spin on a Grey Knight army, sitting back at 24" to shoot stuff up. Eldar, maybe?
A standard Grey Knights build could do quite well, but at that point I don't know what the LC Terminators are adding to the list. Tau cannot ally with Carcharodons - you may only ally with other Imperial armies at Desperate level. Xenos are excluded completely. Guard might be quite good, but again, you're not really adding something they need.

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode