Best Close Combat Armies? - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-14, 04:03 AM
Entropy Fetishist

Mossy Toes's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keen4e View Post
I humbly disagree. While it is true MC points must be stripped to 0, it is on the other hand much easier then for vehicles, because even the basic weapons can take them down. I am talking about T6 MC not T8, but I don't think a T8 flying MC exists. Sure if you need 6 to hit it's a bit inconvenient, but if you saturate it properly it will fall on the ground and once in there, that's basically it. Vehicles on the other hand can't be saturated by low S shots and need at least S6 or S7 to be brought down.
Sure vehicles can be disabled with one lucky shot, but what matters here are the averages. I haven't done any detailed analysis of that, but intuitively my guess would be that vehicles don't fair that bad compared to MC, unless they of course have low (10 or 11) armor in which case it's clear which one is better.
I was kinda talking about MCs in general when I said "up to T8"--aka a Wraithknight--but in that context, yeah, I really didn't make it clear. But a T8 wraithknight only being wounded by plasma on 5s, or a Riptide's 2+ save shrugging off all but the lowest AP weapons with impunity... those are tough barriers to overcome in close combat or at range.

My experience playing for the past two years has overwhelmingly been that MCs are more valuable than tanks. Let's say that a tank and an MC are about as durable as each other--the MC will still trump a tank nearly every time a tank vs MC duel goes down. Blame the Smash rule, if you like. It's hard to crunch the numbers, definitely--this sort of general blanket statement is definitely too ambiguous for straight-up Mathhammer.

And who knows, with Guard (sorry, Militarum) we'll probably see artillery-spam and armor-spam lists coming back in force. For a while, at least.

CSM Plog, Tactica

What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator! Imperator!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-20-14, 06:04 PM
Ranty ranter!

MetalHandkerchief's Flag is: Norway

Dark Eldar seems to be the only army I can reliably get into CQC, though I never relied on Deep Strike or reinforcements for that anyway. Small 5 man squads of Wyches and Incubi (I know, the latter aren't the most cost effective, this is for normal games) in 9 Venoms and two large Wych squads in boats.

The only thing I use webway portals for these days are Talos, which I don't use that often.

That said, people around here tend to like close combat too, and are equally trying to get into fisticuffs. So only a few guys around here have shooty armies with enough shooty bits to stop me, and they don't usually do so, at least not the majority of the time (SM/ Eldar)

I've had recurring nightmares
That I was loved for who I am
And missed the opportunity
To become a better man
~MUSE - Hoodoo

Last edited by MetalHandkerchief; 04-20-14 at 06:07 PM.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-20-14, 09:34 PM
Rattlehead

My Orks always get into combat. Every game.

How many get into combat is another matter.

I think that Knights and Guard mean Meltas are going to make at least a minor comeback.

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-24-14, 01:24 PM

Ravner298's Flag is: USA

Daemons are the obvious answer because the ruleset blatently favors fmc.

they're swooping....but the model is behind that building so you can't shoot them.

they're in the air, but their toe is in area terrain so they get a cover save.

they can dive and still assault.

They have a 360 firing arc + vectors.

Unlike vehicles, their efficiency isn't diminished when taking fire. They're still 100% effective on their last wound.

Speaking for daemons, the ability to get IWND, fnp, iron arm, etc greatly increases their survivability in comparison to other mcs in the game. (Speaking of, an iron arm dp can reach t8.)

Until they're toned down a little, it's hard to argue a better cc unit.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-24-14, 02:01 PM
Herald of The Warp

Nordicus's Flag is: Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravner298 View Post
I keep forgetting this. Goddamnit.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-24-14, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicus View Post
I keep forgetting this. Goddamnit.

Because it's illogical. Don't beat yourself up for thinking realistically.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-25-14, 05:22 AM
Entropy Fetishist

Mossy Toes's Flag is: USA

Quote:

I keep forgetting this too. Hell, I've probably been playing differently with my roommates. Shit. And with, say, a Nurgle Daemon Prince... ugh.

CSM Plog, Tactica

What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator! Imperator!
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-25-14, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy Toes View Post
I keep forgetting this too. Hell, I've probably been playing differently with my roommates. Shit. And with, say, a Nurgle Daemon Prince... ugh.

That's be of the biggest reasons to use nurgle over the others....is the built in shrouded!
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-25-14, 08:55 AM
Herald of The Warp

Nordicus's Flag is: Denmark

Quote:
That's be of the biggest reasons to use nurgle over the others....is the built in shrouded!
That and with a lucky mix of greater gifts he can become one of the most evil daemon princes out there; AP2, Fleshbane, Instant Death.

You'd have to be REALLY lucky on your rolls though, but it IS possible!
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-01-14, 08:25 PM

NathanJD's Flag is: USA

Default Best Close Combat Armies?

Quote:
Because it's illogical. Don't beat yourself up for thinking realistically.

I don't find this to be illogical at all. Have you ever seen an eagle or other large bird flying through a forest? And I'm talking flying FAST. It's insane that they don't hit anything but... they don't. What's to stop a naturally flying born creature from swooping 5 feet off the ground through trees, ruins, etc?

A Wraithknight with his toe in tall grass however... That better be some damn tall grass.

Last edited by NathanJD; 05-02-14 at 01:46 AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode