Advice needed: Daemons versus Imperial Knights - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-11-14, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
Herald of The Warp

Nordicus's Flag is: Denmark

Default Advice needed: Daemons versus Imperial Knights

Greetings heretics!

I'm in a bit of a pickle that I cannot crunch - And as such, I could use the collective brainstorm that is Heresy!

By now it's only a matter of time before someone in my battlegroup brings along a Imperial Knight. I will keep my opinions of this model to myself, but I have to face the facts; It will come at some point.

The problem is that, as a Daemon player, I simply can't find a counter to it. As far as I understand it, and keep in mind I haven't played apocalypse so I might be wrong, the following is true regarding it:

- Its a 13/12/12 walking behemoth, so it cannot be exploded, but takes D3 HP instead. It has 6 HP.
- It has a STR D chainsword. STR D ignores cover, armor and invulnerable saves. It also causes multiple wounds.
- It can have a 4++ on 1 side of it, which has to be decided each turn.

Usually I either shoot a unit in the back with STR 5/6 Tzeentch psykers or assault a vehicle to kill it. The way I see it, both those options are null and void.

- I can maybe glance it from behind with psykers, but that's not a valid strategy. It's not stable enough to count on.
- I cannot assault it with my Daemon Princes, as they will completely destroyed by the STR D weapon.
- I cannot even put a screamerstar as a last resort as the STR D ignore invulnerable saves.

The only option I see at this point is to ally in some CSM for this one particular unit, but that breaks my daemon-heart as I prefer to play pure Daemon.

Anyone got a golden idea or some kind of tip regarding this unit? What am I missing?

Last edited by Nordicus; 04-11-14 at 11:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-11-14, 09:33 AM
Rattlehead

Knights can't realistically do anything to Flyers or Flying Monstrous Creatures. As such, Daemon Princes of Slaanesh are your guys - they fly into rear/side armour (try and get one Prince in each facing so at least one of them negates the Ion Shield) and do their Str6 hits plus Vector Strike, then keep on Flying while the Knights try and shoot them down with Heavy Stubbers. Sure, you won't be killing them in one turn, but you'll probably do a couple of Hull Points here and there and take very little damage in return. Once they're down to two or three Hull Points left, then land and go for the charge since you're higher initiative. If you don't kill him, he'll kill you, but if he's weakened on Hull Points then a pair of Princes using Smash should certainly finish him off.

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-11-14, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
Herald of The Warp

I did consider this, but it is solid advice - Thanks!

However, my fear with this strategy is is that the opponent will see this as the only weakness and simply convert all of his firepower to bringing down these Daemon Princes. After all, I'm committing between 600-900 points to bring down a 370 point unit which can backfire pretty badly.

It is a strategy however, and at least one way to handle it.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-11-14, 10:40 AM
Where is Jessica Hyde?

humakt's Flag is: England

How about plague bearers? Their weapons have armour bane so with a couple of big squads you can potentially glance it to death.

Your toast has been burnt and no amount of scraping will get rid of the black bits.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-11-14, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
Herald of The Warp

Quote:
Originally Posted by humakt View Post
How about plague bearers? Their weapons have armour bane so with a couple of big squads you can potentially glance it to death.
A valid point, as they always glance on 6's with "Touch of rust". However, 2 things sprung to mind:

1) They're incredibly slow and can easily be maneuvered around.

2) If I charge with 20 of them, according to my math, I would do roughly 3 glancing hits (after to-hit and to-penetrate rolls are made). If the guy with Imperial Knight saw this coming, he would put the shield up and grant him a 4++ on his front armor. He would then save half of of the glances, resulting in 1-2 glances. After this, he would cause so many wounds that I would (with almost certainty) fail demonic instability and get completely butchered by the gods. As I don't know what the initiative of a Imperial Knight is, I'm not sure if I get all 40 attacks on the charge either.

On the other hand, I could get lucky. But since it's only glances, I can't even hope for a weapon destroyed or stunned result, which would save my bacon.

Last edited by Nordicus; 04-11-14 at 11:08 AM.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-11-14, 11:15 AM

Creon's Flag is: USA

The downside to assaulting it with plaguebearers is it's gonna kill quite a lot every turn, what with D weapons and stomp, and if and when you kill it, all the plaugebearers die for the catastrophic detonation. I think the shield is only for shooting attacks.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-11-14, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Herald of The Warp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creon View Post
I think the shield is only for shooting attacks.
If it is, this certainly changes things - In particular for the "Daemon prince spam attack" strategy. It was my understanding that it's simply a 4++ on one side, regardless of the type of attack.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-11-14, 11:35 AM

Ryu_Niimura's Flag is: Netherlands

No it only works against shooting, in cc the Knight is pretty vulnerable. I like the idea of the big blob of Plaguebearers, just DS of your Plague Drones with a Herald tucked in there somewhere and you've got a unit that won't die to the knights shooting and will rip it to pieces in return. Also you can tarpit it with a big unit of Nurglings like there's no tomorrow^^.

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-11-14, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Herald of The Warp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryu_Niimura View Post
Also you can tarpit it with a big unit of Nurglings like there's no tomorrow^^
How would this work? Wouldn't they be torn to pieces by the Str D weapon and Demonic Instability?
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-11-14, 12:09 PM

Ryu_Niimura's Flag is: Netherlands

Argh that's right, Daemonic Instability will most likely be the end of them. (or not if you have a hand in rolling snake eyes xD) I'm pretty sure there's alot of other more viable options for tarpitting a knight, just remember that it's the stomp attacks you should be watchfull for since he's unlikely to do much with his Strength D weapon as he only has 3 attacks. (not 100% sure on that, could have been 4 but that hardly matters)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode