Advice needed: Daemons versus Imperial Knights - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-11-14, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Herald of The Warp

Nordicus's Flag is: Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryu_Niimura View Post
he's unlikely to do much with his Strength D weapon as he only has 3 attacks. (not 100% sure on that, could have been 4 but that hardly matters)
Well 3 STR D attacks can be quite devastating as he can cause multiple wounds with 1 attack. I believe it's something like this, when rolling to-wound:

1: No wound
2-5: Model loses D3+1 wounds
6: D6+6 wounds

Thats alot of wounds even with 3 attacks :S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-11-14, 05:36 PM
Where is Jessica Hyde?

humakt's Flag is: England

My understanding is that they are wounds to a model, not to a unit. So if he only has 4 attacks he can only remove 4 models.

Your toast has been burnt and no amount of scraping will get rid of the black bits.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-11-14, 07:37 PM

AAAAAAAAARRRGGHH's Flag is: Denmark

2 Daemon Princes should be able to kill it in 1 turn on the charge. It can't use it's shield in CC and if they Smash, they have between them 8 attacks with rerolls to armour penetration. On average this would give you 4 penetrating hits and 1 glancing. So you have 4 attempts to roll a 5+ on the damage table, and if you can do that, the knight goes down.

And even so, if I remember correctly, Knights only have a WS of 4, so with your princes WS 9, it's still far from guaranteed it will kill a prince should it survive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humakt View Post
My understanding is that they are wounds to a model, not to a unit. So if he only has 4 attacks he can only remove 4 models.
Also this. Plaguebearers shouldn't have too many problems tarpitting one of those fuckers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezlad View Post
So you're a wanker?
Who cares? Anyone that says they don't wank is a lying twat. Wank hard, wank often.

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-11-14, 07:40 PM

Ravner298's Flag is: USA

Default Advice needed: Daemons versus Imperial Knights

As midnight said, lash of submission princes (preferably with iron arm) will make short work of it. Plaguebearers would too, however unless he's barreling it into your lines it'll be hard to get them in close combat. With princes having a very high initiative, you have good odds of smashing it down once weakened. Also remember it'll be retaliating with 3 attacks hittin on 5+, so it could whiff completely.

Alternatively; ignore it. It's shooting is meaningless to you for the most part. Throw a large unit at it to buy a turn or two.

Last edited by Ravner298; 04-11-14 at 07:44 PM.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-13-14, 02:50 PM

Ryu_Niimura's Flag is: Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by humakt View Post
^This is the exact reason why I think the power of (CC) Strength D weapons is greatly exaggerated. Unless it has a fuckton of attacks like the Lord of Skulls it depends on the stomp attacks to get itself out of a tarpit. The Strength D weapons are designed to kill MSU which the current meta mostly consists of. It can't handle a big blob of expandable infantry.

The Knights are the least powerfull superheavies in the game and once you get over the initial "omg it's Escalation, it's OP! Nerf plx!" you'll find there's hundreds of ways to deal with them and your opponent suddenly has to try very hard to keep the bloody things alive. If you're playing Chaos I would suggest looking into the new Hellbrute formations; DSing multimelta's with the possibillity of firing twice in a turn? Yes pls!

post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-13-14, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Herald of The Warp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryu_Niimura View Post
once you get over the initial "omg it's Escalation, it's OP! Nerf plx!" you'll find there's hundreds of ways to deal with them and your opponent suddenly has to try very hard to keep the bloody things alive.
To be honest, my main problem with the Imperial Knight, is that it is a Escalation unit, that can be used without the Escalation addition to the game. In the campaign we play, I have refued to add Escalation as I think it's ridiculous. But this one is a unit that has STR D weapons and can be brought either way, as it's beyond that addition. But enough about my opinions of the unit.

So to sum it up, the main ways to go about it would be:

1) 2-3 Deamon princes and either smash or Lash it to death.
2) Blobs of Plaguebearers who would glance it to death with Touch of Rust
3) Ally in Helbrutes via CSM and bring them in a formation to melta it.

Well at least it gives me a couple of ways to handle it. The fact that the shield doesn't work in CC is a big up on my early estimations, so it does help alot.

Thanks guys, you're awesome!
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-16-14, 04:41 PM
experiment 626's Flag is: Canada

If the pure Daemon theme is your thing, then you can ally in some Oblits as they have the Daemon rule (meaning you can even hit them with the Grimoire!) and then take your Cultist 'tax' to represent the poor stupid mortals who've gone and unleashed all this hell in the first place.

MoN Oblits require S10 to insta-kill, and can at least open up with some lascannon fire, helping you to strip the shield and open up the other facings to your Flickering Fire/Lash Princes.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-16-14, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Herald of The Warp

Well first try today - Didn't exactly go as expected.

I put a Tzeentch Daemon Prince, with armor, wings and 2 greater gifts on the table, alongside Bel'Akor.

The Daemon Prince gets toast in round 2, as he gets 9 wounds and i roll 5 2's. Allrighty then.
After that, Bel'Akor charges in wiffs 4 of his 6 attacks. Remember that he is hitting on 3's. 1 pen and 1 glance.

The Imperial Knight strikes back, hits once and rolls a 6 - So Bel'Akor is removed from play.

Good game. How swell it is that GW decided to introduce a STR D model into regular games that you cannot exclude as it doesn't require escalation.

Gah.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-16-14, 10:17 PM

The Sturk's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicus View Post
Well first try today - Didn't exactly go as expected.

I put a Tzeentch Daemon Prince, with armor, wings and 2 greater gifts on the table, alongside Bel'Akor.

The Daemon Prince gets toast in round 2, as he gets 9 wounds and i roll 5 2's. Allrighty then.
After that, Bel'Akor charges in wiffs 4 of his 6 attacks. Remember that he is hitting on 3's. 1 pen and 1 glance.

The Imperial Knight strikes back, hits once and rolls a 6 - So Bel'Akor is removed from play.

Good game. How swell it is that GW decided to introduce a STR D model into regular games that you cannot exclude as it doesn't require escalation.

Gah.
I think you were on the right path here, just that the dice rolls were not in your favor this game.

Still, I can imagine how frustrating it is facing a STR D weapon, even if it is a CC weapon, in a standard game.

Is ignoring it a possibility at all? Just kill off the rest of the opponent while the Knight tackles one unit at a time?
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-16-14, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
Herald of The Warp

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sturk View Post
Is ignoring it a possibility at all? Just kill off the rest of the opponent while the Knight tackles one unit at a time?
It was a 1250 point game, so it wasn't really an option - It shoots 2 bigblasts and 2 heavy stubbers per turn, so it can do considerable damage if left unchecked.

In the end it turned up a draw - But only due to me covering with my last scoring troops behind a house while he bombarded the entire country.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode