Interesting blog that raises some relevant points about 40k. - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-11-14, 03:38 PM

Straken's_Fist's Flag is: South Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAAAAAAAARRRGGHH View Post
Poor article is poor. And very biased. For some reason he takes "the fact" that 6th is a crappy edition for granted, instead of pointing out what makes it so and to whom.

I, for instance, is having good fun with 6th edition, even though there are many parts of it's rules I despise. This is not because, as the articles author would have you believe, I can't face reality (which apparently is that 40k is no fun), but because I love the game, or at least it's essentials, and because my gaming group have found a way to make it fun in spite of the game's flaws.

All that article really says is: "I like competitive wargames, and because 40k does not lend itself well to that it sucks, and therefore you people are all fooling yourselves if you think you like it and you should all play something else."

The only interesting thing about that article is how it states it isn't being polemic on purpose, in spite of the author's single-minded view of 40k and it's players. It's almost like he doesn't understand the words the meaning of the words he writes.
Yes I completely agree with you.

It's a piss poor article. Doesn't actually say anything and is more just a rant. He doesn't explain why it sucks, just says it sucks and fliers are overpriced and the rules suck. And you are probably a total fan boy if you still like 40k. Well, how incredibly insightful. I cannot stand the pretentious attitude some people have when it comes to wargaming. "Oh you still play 40k. Pft. We play Bolt Action and Warmachine, it's so much better." ... No, they are different, not 'better'.

I am still amazed how people like him are really approaching 40k entirely the wrong way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-11-14, 03:52 PM
Where is Jessica Hyde?

humakt's Flag is: England

Its basically another unhappy gamer venting because his army is no longer competitive. As has been discussed numerous times over the last few months the general trend of GW has been to move back to its roots of being a fun game between friends and not a tournament game.

That being said it is perfectly possible to make the game tournament friendly if you want. Restrict allies, do not allow certain fortifications or LoW or Knights. House rule that certain units can only be taken as 0-1 or 0-2. It is upto organizers to make the game competitive not GW who do not appear to be making a tournament fit rule set.

Personally this is one of the best editions they have made. It is true there are less sneaky tactics that can be used, but a good player can still get the best of his troops unless faced with something they are not designed to face. That's why an army should have a myriad of different unit types to counter different possible threats.

Your toast has been burnt and no amount of scraping will get rid of the black bits.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-11-14, 04:15 PM

neferhet's Flag is: Italy

Quote:
Originally Posted by humakt View Post
Personally this is one of the best editions they have made. It is true there are less sneaky tactics that can be used, but a good player can still get the best of his troops unless faced with something they are not designed to face. That's why an army should have a myriad of different unit types to counter different possible threats.
This.
Also, the internet says 6th is bad. Gaming groups of REAL people around me says its great. Stop the rant.

The Legion of Perfects Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux View Post
The calls of Slaneesh stir so deeply within me, as if I was birthed from the very essence of it. For my ambition to infinitely ascend above all is never ending, like fire within it burns me to ever cindering ash. Lord of light and ascension is who I am, realities burn to ash at my very passing. My luminescence is unparalleled for I am luminosity itself, all light is but a shadow of my silhouette

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-11-14, 06:36 PM

Bindi Baji's Flag is: United Kingdom

I prefer blogs to be unbiased or to attempt to see other points as opposed to whiney, irritating and crap.
I may not agree with GW on a lot of counts but if they get rid of snivelling little bitches like this then game on!

All right, but apart from the sanitation, medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh water system and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-11-14, 07:05 PM

AAAAAAAAARRRGGHH's Flag is: Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by humakt View Post
It is upto organizers to make the game competitive not GW who do not appear to be making a tournament fit rule set.
This is exactly the solution, but that being said I can relate to the blogs author on 1 point. It is a feeble excuse for GW to not make balanced rules because they don't care about that. Guess who does? A considerably sized segment of your customer base does. As such, GW should care too. Anything else is just a retarded business strategy IMO.
I sincerely believe a more competitive minded version of 40k would be better for everyone. Those who care about that would love, those who don't would love that their fluffy armies could actually stand up to the more tournament oriented ones and GW could cash really cash in on their IP with such a quality upgrade of their rules.

That is a dream scenario however, and as things are now, it is up to the player base to fix GW's wrongs. But it isn't really all that hard, all you have to do is stop whining and start figuring out what you want 40k to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezlad View Post
So you're a wanker?
Who cares? Anyone that says they don't wank is a lying twat. Wank hard, wank often.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode