confused about chaos daemons - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-08-14, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

Woodzee316's Flag is: Australia

Default confused about chaos daemons

g'day all,

just got the chaos daemons codex looking to build an allied detachment and maybe later an army. am a bit unsure reading it more so looking at the tzeentch section and the pink horrors. I have read the section 3 times and can't figure out what weapon they have. the way I read it is they have 1-3 psychic attacks depending on how many horrors are in the group or do they get this plus another shooting attack or can cast the psychic power each model which to me sounds OP. or do they have the pink fire of tzeentch as their primary attack as this would suit there tittle. there is nothing mentioned in troops breakdown.

if i'm missing anything could someone please help me out.

cheers
Woodzee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-08-14, 04:35 PM

Ok, easy one here
They generate warp charge based on how many models are in the unit. 1WC for 1-10, 2WC for 11-15 and 3WC for 16+ (only horrors counting, not heralds and stuff).
With those points they can cast spells. They generate 1 (and only 1) random spell from the Tzeentch psy spells. This generally means that people will choose the primus power as it can be cast with 1WC for 2d6 bolts, BUT has the option to add up to 2 additional WC for an additional d6 extra bolts per 1.
HOWEVER only 1 of the horrors is the caster, so only one of them takes the psy test and only he will be effected by the results. This also means you can hide all but 1 out of LOS of the enemy so you can have a lot of shots without the chance to be killed by mass fire.
They can not however each use 1WC each or something and take multiple tests as the 'brotherhood of sorcerers' rule makes them all channel it through 1 guy.
An additional and often overlooked bonus of this form of casting is that IF (and you don't have to) use a Iridescent Horror (the champion) as the focus they channel through, then the shots become 'Precision Shots'
In addition the WC generated doesn't matter what the other guys are doing, so a nice tactic is putting them in bastions and stuff with guns on as they can freely shoot them while still generating the warp charge, so long as the one firing the spell isn't firing the guns.
Heralds are frequently put with them with at least level 2 so you can cast 'Prescience' from the Divination tree (as your first spell has to be from the Tzeentch pool) so you can reroll your misses.

Edit: Another side note is before they 'fixed' the rules for kill teams, Horrors were fantastic as they all counted as individuals so did all count as psy level 1 and with 1WC point each. So a 200point team could have anywhere between 44 & 264 shots a turn.

Last edited by mayegelt; 04-08-14 at 04:44 PM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-08-14, 11:36 PM Thread Starter

Woodzee316's Flag is: Australia

ahh ok thanks for explaining that. I didn't realize that the power generated so many attacks. thanks for clearing that up and now it all makes perfect sense.

once again thanks
cheers
Woodzee

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-09-14, 08:54 PM

Another good thing to remember is that if you use the portal glyph spawns 1-6 daemons (in this case horrors) a turn (when it works).
Even with those 1-6 of them what class as a unit, they still generate 1WC and a psy spell from the Tzeentch deck. So can easily give you another 2D6 S5 AP4 shots. Though some people sometimes go for the 2nd spell as well for the nice AP2 beam with S5-10 as you can blow up termies and bigger tanks with that one given a good dice roll and drawing a nice line through a bunch of them on side armour.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-10-14, 10:51 PM
experiment 626's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayegelt View Post
An additional and often overlooked bonus of this form of casting is that IF (and you don't have to) use a Iridescent Horror (the champion) as the focus they channel through, then the shots become 'Precision Shots'
If the unit contains an Iridescent Horror, then he must be used as the focal point for the unit's Ld test and resolving any Perils of the Warp.
For his cost he's good, but he can also cop it quite easily too.

Basically, if you're going to pull the LOS shenanigans, don't take an Iridescent Horror!
If you're going to simply plunk the unit in cover, he's a good buy and you can simply use positioning to help keep him alive without relying entirely on Look out Sir! rolls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayegelt View Post
Heralds are frequently put with them with at least level 2 so you can cast 'Prescience' from the Divination tree (as your first spell has to be from the Tzeentch pool) so you can reroll your misses.
This is 100% not true actually. Unlike Chaos Marine Sorcerers, we have no stipulation forcing us to always take at least 1 power from the respective God's spell lore.
A Herald of Tzeentch can choose to roll ALL of it's spells from the Divination discipline, and/or can include up to 50% (round fractions up) of it's spells from the Tzeentch lore.

Normally a shooty support Tzherald runs Flickering Fire (the Tzeentch Primaris power) + 2 rolls on Divination - one of which is always swapped out for Prescience. (because re-rolls are godly!)

Another important note to keep in mind is that due to the Brotherhood of Psykers rule limiting Horrors to Mastery Lv1, they can never make use of Infernal Gateway due to it being a 'Warp Charge 2' spell.
If you roll this power, you must re-roll it! This is somewhat helpful though for small squads, (such as those generated by the #12 result on the Warpstorm table or through the Portalglyph), as it means you have a 50/50 shot at landing the tank/heavy infantry busting Bolt of Tzeentch power! (which is preferable on smaller squads due to how Warpflame works.)
post #6 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-12-14, 08:45 AM

Thanks for the corrections, I forgot the must take power from your god was CSM not Daemon, had thought it was the other way around when posting.
Also with the Brotherhood of Sorc one I thought you had the option to pick the champ or a normal guy. Didn't have my books with me at work when I posted, but yeah you are right that as a char he needs to be the focus unless he is dead.
As said though the look out sir thing is great for making those in cover take the hits for him and keeping the precision shots I think. Again posting without my rulebook here, so don't know if someone around a corner can take the hit as they dive in the way of the shots.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode