30k Questions - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-02-14, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

Default 30k Questions

I haven't read much into the rules of the 30k gameplay, but I love all of the FW products coming out for it and I've heard that the rules are more balanced than normal 40k. I'm also loving the mechanicum army that's been highlighted as of late.

My question is whether or not Imperial guard or Orks are able to play. I haven't heard anything about Orks, but I really hope I can use my army with those 30k rules.

Dear Lord the IG has tons of Dakka
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-02-14, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdojo18 View Post
I haven't read much into the rules of the 30k gameplay, but I love all of the FW products coming out for it and I've heard that the rules are more balanced than normal 40k. I'm also loving the mechanicum army that's been highlighted as of late.

My question is whether or not Imperial guard or Orks are able to play. I haven't heard anything about Orks, but I really hope I can use my army with those 30k rules.
I love the "the rules are more balanced" bit As far as I'm aware it is more balanced because effectively everyone gets the same army + or - 1-2 heroic chars like the primarchs and a few chapter rules.
However as far as I know you can play 30k vs 40k armies if you want anyway, in part due to the nature of the warp that can throw you 1000s of years in to the future 1 second (or year) then put you right back where you belong or maybe even further in to the past later on (or vice versa), in fact you can meet yourself it seems according to a few of the weirder stories like Abandons.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-02-14, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

I'll just have to use a stompa to match a primarch in battle hah

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-02-14, 10:02 PM

Farseer Darvaleth's Flag is: Great Britain

Fluffwise, always. As mentioned, could have been the Warp, but even without Warp shenanigans Orks were around in the 31st Millennium too!

As for gameplay, your rules as Orks wouldn't change, just the rules of your 30k (ie: Marines and Mechanicum) opponents. They have been balanced internally but also externally (to the point of being somewhat underpowered against regular 40k codices - the 30k units pay a lot more for certain rules that are more effective within 30k), and there was a FAQ saying Forge World foresaw and intended people to use the 30k list against 40k players. Throwing in Lords of War might/should (the latter in my opinion) raise the "ask your opponent" question before the game, but otherwise I treat them like any other codex.

Of course, if your opponent brings a Primarch, you're going to need that Stompa!

Give a man a match, and he's warm for a day.

Set a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life!

Cato Marquand
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-02-14, 10:49 PM
Token Trans Mod

Zion's Flag is: USA

FW says that largely the game isn't made to match up the codexes against the 30k stuff, but if you want then the non-30k player should have access to a similar chart as the Legions player (and now that Escalation is a thing you actually have legitimate options for that Lords of War slot that 30k uses as well!).

That or play below 2k and use a standard FOC which keeps Primarchs out of the mix too.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-02-14, 11:20 PM
Vaz

Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom

There are noticeable balance swings in the rules between Legions; Emperor's Children get hit the heaviest, while others have fairly noticeably better stats; and units themselves. Noticeable ones include Sons of Horus, Death Guard, Iron Hands and Salamanders.

However, the "broken" bits aren't necessarily too strong. Sons of Horus requires a lot of work to get together, Death Guard are limited in certain areas, Iron Hands have resilience to the base weaponry, but heavier weaponry still hits them hard as does melee. Salamanders are similarly going to struggle.

There is one thing that's broken; Vulkan. There's a post dotted about by myself showing exactly how tough a Primarch is in the game terms, and he's far and away the most capable at everything, but also as good as some of the best. He's as much of a tank as mortarion, hits as hard as Horus, and shoots nearly as good as Ferrus Manus.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi Baji View Post
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
a rectum spectrum, if you will
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-03-14, 04:10 AM Thread Starter

I'd like to avoid Vulkan

Thanks guys! I wasn't sure if they had 30k rules for Orks that altered points or added rules, but if it's the same, then no worries

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-03-14, 01:05 PM

Xabre's Flag is: USA

Oooh, thanks for this thread. This gives me hope of Mechanicum and maybe playing it alongside 40k, too. Explorator fleet back from the warp, go!

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-03-14, 08:18 PM
Vaz

Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom

You can do that indeed. With each new addition to the game, you get new Mechanicum models; this time, actual dedicated armoured vehicles as opposed to rehashed Land Raiders (as awesome as they are).

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi Baji View Post
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
a rectum spectrum, if you will
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-04-14, 01:37 PM

Farseer Darvaleth's Flag is: Great Britain

Just for reference, from FW's FAQ on Betrayal (the first Horus Heresy book). Like it says, the book was specifically designed to work within itself, but was also designed to be 40k compatible - it's just you'll be at a disadvantage in areas where internal balance render some things more expensive than would be the case externally.

Quote:
Q: Are the armies and units in the Horus Heresy books by Forge World meant to be used in
games against regular Codex armies, such as say Grey Knights or Orks?
A: While Forge World’s on-going range of Horus Heresy books and their game content are all
designed to use and be compatible with the Warhammer 40,000 rules, they have been fine-tuned and
focused on playing battles in the milieu of the Horus Heresy rather than in conjunction with the
Codexes representing warfare in the 41st
Millennium, and this will remain the case.

Designer’s Note: This means that while you are, of course, free to have fun and play games against
your friends using any forces you like, and Horus Heresy forces will be broadly ‘a fair fight’ with
Codex forces of the same scale, certain rules anomalies and inconsistencies may be thrown up that
you have to deal with, although these should not seriously affect the game in most cases. (For
example, certain units, such as those with the Stubborn special rule are at a premium costing in
Horus Heresy armies over their regular Codex counterparts, owing to the results of play testing
within their own sphere.)

In terms of using Lords of War and the Primarchs, however, these are definitely not intended to be
used in standard Warhammer 40,000 games, but only in games where both sides use the Age of
Darkness Force Organisation chart, and the specific provisions within, and in games of 2,000 points
or greater.

Designer’s Note: So if, for example, you wanted to play a battle representing a narrative where the
Sons of Horus Legion fought Orks or Eldar during the Great Crusade, you could quite easily use
those xenos forces’ Warhammer 40,000 Codexes (possibly house-ruled to accommodate larger
squads) to proxy for their Heresy-era counterparts. In this case, however, both sides should be using
the Age of Darkness Force Organisation chart, with the army’s own Apocalypse level units and flyers
available as Lords of War entries following the guidelines found on page 184 of Betrayal.
EDIT: Also, here, a fantastic Heresy/Pre-Heresy site: http://z13.invisionfree.com/The_Firs...ex.php?act=idx

Give a man a match, and he's warm for a day.

Set a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life!

Cato Marquand

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode