Army Transport - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-04-08, 01:01 AM Thread Starter

BloodAngelZeros's Flag is: USA

Default Army Transport

Hey all. I was wondering whether you all thought the "traditional" army transport is worth the money. At my local shop, i see some guys walking in with 3 or 4 of them and at $60 a pop, that's around $250 sitting there just to move your troops around! I don't know about you, but I can't bring myself to spend the $60 when I know I can get another unit or model or something. This is especially true when I can buy a $5 bin from wal-mart and some seat cushions (the actual cushioning that's inside them) and cut it to suit the models I have. It costs me a grand total of around $15 dollars to tote around over 2000 pts of necrons, around 1750 pts of CSM (or even possibly more, haven't run the numbers as of late) and my rulebook and codexes. I have a separate little keeper I bought for $2 that I keep my markers, tape measure and dice in. The only problem I've run into is transporting the monolith,which in standard games, has to be one of the largest all around models. For that I have a mailing box that hugs it snugly (and that was free from my post office!).

I'm just wondering if I'm really a cheap bastard or if others have come up with similar solutions cause they didn't want to fork over the outrageous price of the army transports. Or, are the army transports really worth their cost?

"There is a cancer eating at the Imperium. With each decade it advances deeper, leaving drained, dead worlds in its wake. This horror, this abomination, has though and purpose which functions on an unimaginable, galactic scale and all we can do is try to stop the swarms of bio-engineered monsters it unleashes upon us by instinct. We have given the horror a name to salve our fears; we call it the Tyranid race, but if it is aware of us at all, it must know us only as Prey."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-04-08, 01:07 AM

Cadian81st's Flag is: USA

Bear in mind this is coming from the guy who uses a shoebox and plastic bags to transport his army, but no, I don't think they're worth it, mainly because, as you've said, that sixty bucks is much better spent on more minis.

post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-04-08, 01:16 AM

beenburned's Flag is: United Kingdom

I'm just reaching the point where I care about my models (only 16) enough to bother about transporting them properly, and I can't see myself forking 30 quid out for one. I'm on the lookout for other solutions and your idea is pretty decent actually. I'd also be interested to see anymore though.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-04-08, 01:23 AM

I am looking at using maybe a toolbox with the plastic organizers. I just need to take my models with me to make sure they fit. I probably will cut some foam for the vehicles. It is looking to be about 30 dollars
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-04-08, 01:25 AM Thread Starter

BloodAngelZeros's Flag is: USA

When I had my blood angels, I used a toolbox with the organizer on the top part. It worked pretty well. Granted, there wasn't any foam or such used so I did spend plenty of time gluing arms and such back on and there wasn't any room for my books and other stuff but I know plenty of people that use toolboxes too.

"There is a cancer eating at the Imperium. With each decade it advances deeper, leaving drained, dead worlds in its wake. This horror, this abomination, has though and purpose which functions on an unimaginable, galactic scale and all we can do is try to stop the swarms of bio-engineered monsters it unleashes upon us by instinct. We have given the horror a name to salve our fears; we call it the Tyranid race, but if it is aware of us at all, it must know us only as Prey."
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-04-08, 11:42 AM

I forked out for the small army case and am pleased with it. There are cheaper options but I'm to lazy to look around for them, in addition the only problem I'm having so far is my Night goblin spearmen keep getting stuck in the foam above them. I think they're trying to escape myself.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-04-08, 11:48 AM

Blackhiker's Flag is: USA

I normally just use a tacklebox and get some cheap foam. averages about $10-$15 per army

If a child asks how Santa lives forever, simply reply he drinks blood.

Old aunts used to come up to me at weddings, poke me in the ribs and cackle, telling me, "You're next." They stopped after I started to do the same thing to them at funerals.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-04-08, 06:11 PM

Taggerung's Flag is: USA

There are cases called "Army Transport" and it has 2 vehicle trays and either 6 or 8 normal sized trays that are already pre cut so you just have to spend about 30 seconds per mini to make the size just right for the model. I currently transport 2k worth of marines and 1750 pts worth of guardsmen in it. It was only 70 bucks with a strap, 1 large pocket for 2 codex, and my rule book, as well as two other small pockets for dice bag, templates, and tape measure + glue. It is the most bang for your buck.

Check out my DKOK Project Log!

Armies : Raven Lords Chapter, 219th Siege Regiment and Da Grotteef Waaaaghhhh

Currently Painting : 219th Siege Regiment, about 25% done! Last updated 3/7/2013
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-04-08, 06:29 PM
bobss's Flag is: England

well with a few shoeboxes and alot of tissues you can achieve a similar result but the huge amount of tissues is anoying.

personnaly if you only want one then sure its a good deal but if your going to get more then i would reccomend making your own out of cheap toolboxes and foam, that way its cheaper and you can shape the foam to certain models like tanks or large heroes, plus its cheaper , alot cheaper although requirs alot of patient knife work. unless you have access to a CAD CAM machine, like in schools ( if you go to school, or work in one or know someone who works in one)

Last edited by bobss; 08-04-08 at 06:31 PM.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-04-08, 07:10 PM

EndangeredHuman's Flag is: United Kingdom

There are other alternative cases around. I havn't bought one myself so I can't judge on quality http://www.kaiserrushforth.com/krmul...usacanaus.html

It's basically cardboard with foam inserts. You can get one for 24 ($48) if you're an international customer, inclusing P&P.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode