Why no Sheldor in 40k - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-28-14, 01:49 AM

Samules's Flag is: USA

You do not know Seinfeld? NO SOUP FOR YOU!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-28-14, 01:54 AM
Jeep's and Harley's

OIIIIIIO's Flag is: USA

Justified ... FTW. Some funny shit happens with the Crowes and good ole Marshal.
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-28-14, 09:39 AM

Remeriel's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samules View Post
You do not know Seinfeld?
I've heard of Seinfield but I've never watched it. I like Frasier if that's any consolation?

WH40K:
Chaos Space Marines: 160pts (0/0/0)

post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-28-14, 09:45 AM
nice boy, daft though !

bitsandkits's Flag is: United Kingdom

The big bang theory is pretty good, but by far the best comedy the US have produced is Arrested development, closely followed by Raising hope and the Middle, Modern family is ok but I dont think it deserves the praise and awards its pickes up.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-28-14, 02:53 PM

Jolnir's Flag is: Canada

Arrested Development was quite good. Seinfeld will always be one of my faves.

Newman...
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-28-14, 03:26 PM
So be it.

JAMOB's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remeriel View Post
She didn't ruin it for Sheldon. She ruined it for THE WORLD
Only if you actually care whether or not he affected anything. I for one am fine with experiencing the adventure along with him. Plus he did quite a bit in the other two.

Quote:
If you go down to the woods today, be wary
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-29-14, 12:35 AM

Remeriel's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMOB View Post
Only if you actually care whether or not he affected anything. I for one am fine with experiencing the adventure along with him. Plus he did quite a bit in the other two.
Haha yeah, I'm only jesting. I was a bit dumbfounded though, I had honestly never considered before that he has no actual relevance on the plot.

WH40K:
Chaos Space Marines: 160pts (0/0/0)
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-29-14, 05:33 PM
Critique for da CriticGod

Kreuger's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldkiller View Post
That show doesn't know how to talk about nerds in any way that is not meant to make fun of them.
I disagree quite strongly. While making fun is definitely part of it, it is a comedy and the fun comes from somewhere.

More importantly the show humanizes nerds, and illustrates that they are people with thoughts and feelings and hey they might be a nerd but they can still be good in the sack.

The show ALSO uses Penny to lampoon the "in crowd" and the more mainstream pursuits of alcohol and social acceptance.

Part of the social value here is that all of these characters have grown and evolved. So the nerds are "less" nerdy; Penny is more educated and selfaware; Raj is able to talk to women; Howard married a woman; and Sheldon is learning that physical contact is OK.

TBBT is also showing that "nerdy" might seem off putting but the characters have all done and achieved things that most people never will. They aren't amazingly wealthy but they are successful in academia.

If anything the sure has a pejorative representation not of nerds but of American intuitions of higher education. All of the professors are either old or nerds. I work for a STEM (science, technology, engineering, math) university. Very few of our faculty are represented by the cultural norms of either the protagonists or their colleagues like Kripke.

Sooooo, back on topic. I think 40K our miniature esteeming getting a plug would be fine. It might change how people relate to it, but from a broader sense growing awareness is good for everyone's business, including the customers.

In addition to many of the shows mentioned, I'm sorry to see The Simpsons not mentioned. There was a good 10 years when the Simpsons was the most literate satire of American life on TV (or possibly anywhere). Sadly, it's now a caricature of itself, because somehow it's still running, long after the writers are retreading old material.

Chaos Army Showcase with photos (Updated 2013/12/02)
"To endure one's self is perhaps the hardest task in the universe." Frank Herbert, 'Dune Messiah'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethklokk
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the ill-prepared.

Originally Posted by Deathscythe4722
Could someone please call the police on this guy? I can hear the English Language screaming in pain. This has to be illegal somewhere.
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-29-14, 06:52 PM

TBBT was okay until it ran out of jokes. It regurgitates new general knowledge and facts with the same joke format. Usually revolving around Sheldon's social awkwardness and 'mannerism punchline'. It's run its course.

However, as a concept, the likes of it and the IT Crowd give a new surface to living - it's not jsut a bunch of beautiful people having hollywood lifestyle choices.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode