Blood Angels Vs Chaos - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-19-14, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

Jay Harvest's Flag is: Denmark

Default Blood Angels Vs Chaos

Hey Guys

I'm going up against Chaos Space Marines in a 1250 point match
I know that he will bring the following:

Deamon Prince
Helldrake
Vindicator
Obliterators
Plauge Marines

Do you have any suggestions on how to beat the traitor? ;)

would dual Storm ravens be a good idea og a single ADL ?
Spamming of Jump Marines or a more shooty approach?
Death Company in a Raider?

Hope you can help!

JH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-19-14, 03:42 PM
Token Trans Mod

Zion's Flag is: USA

Moved to 40k General where it'll get more visibility.

Mod stuff aside, it looks like he's got a pretty solid list there. The big issue for your Marines is likely to be the Vindicator and Heldrake as they both drop low AP templates that'll take your Marines out pretty quickly.

Plague Marines are pretty durable too. If it wasn't for the Vector Striking of the Heldrake I'd suggest bringing some of your own Vindicators (since they're Fast vehicles for BA and can put the hurt on much quicker). I honestly don't know how to pick apart that CSM list with BA though so I'll leave the floor open to those who know more about doing that.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-19-14, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

Ohh sorry for the misplacement of the post

Would it be more durable to play my army as Vanilla Marines?

JH

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-19-14, 04:07 PM
Token Trans Mod

Zion's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Harvest View Post
Ohh sorry for the misplacement of the post
No problem. Just didn't think you'd get as much feedback with this in the Introductions forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Harvest View Post
Would it be more durable to play my army as Vanilla Marines?

JH
From a competitive standpoint: probably. I know the Vanilla book looks pretty solid and that I've seen a lot of negative talk regarding the BA book since the edition started. I'm mainly a Sisters player branching back out into CSM though so take that with some salt as I'm not speaking from first hand knowledge there.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-19-14, 06:07 PM

neferhet's Flag is: Italy

1250 pts is very hard to do with BA.
However the CSM list has a couple of weaknesses:
1) Daemon prince. the guy is really overconfident. a stalker rhino and an aegis with icarus lascannon will cover both the drake and the daemon prince. also, massed bolters will bring down the critter. you just need a failed grounding test. never forget he is probably putting 250 pts into the beast!
2) scoring troops. unless he takes a token nurgle lord he will just have a couple of cultists units. if that is the case you just need to obliterate them and not be tabled in order to win the game. otherwise he will just have a couple of plague marines units, say a maximum of 15-16 power armoured guys. durable, but not so much. plasma and melta are your friends.

Then, the oblits: never forget they cannot overwatch and only have 2 attacks each. The best thing you can do with them is tarpit them with some cc scouts.

I don't know the BA codex very well, but, for vanilla SM i'd suggest you to approach this enemy with an army comprised by lots of well placed firing squads (devastators, centurions, predators, thunderfire cannons), a couple of anti air units as above, some razorbacks to hold small tac squads and some cc element to disrupt enemy fire (cc scouts, infiltrating properly, can be a very nasty resource: 60 points for 5 scouts cc geared and a meltabombs sarge, they can spell doom for any vindicator approaching or just be used as shields in the face of obliterators. 60 goddam points....)

So just to give an example of how i would deal with the guy: (bear in mind i'm not a good SM player...so...)

Captain
Artificer Armour
Power Axe
Meltabombs
(130)

5 Devastators
4 missile launchers
(130)

Aegis defence line + icarus lascannon
(85)

Stalker
extra storm bolter
(80)

Thunderfire cannon
Tech marine
(100)

5 marines
meltagun
Razorback
TL lascannon
(155)

5 marines
meltagun
Razorback
TL lascannon
(155)

6 Scouts
5 sniper rifle
(71)

6 Scouts
cc weapon + pistol
meltabombs sarge
(71)

Dreadnought
Drop pod
(135)

Dreadnought
Drop pod
(135)

-1247 pts-

The plan is simple:
-The captain and the devastators stay behind the aegis. Captain man the lascannon icarus, going for daemon prince or heldrake, deavastators go for vindicators and then plague marines.

-Stalker is just behind them, shooting DP or heldrake or both if situation requires it.

-Small marines squads sits into razorbacks, waiting to spint midfield conesting objectives.

-Razorbacks go for obliterators, then vindicator, then plague marines (they are few, every dead counts)

-Thunderfire stays in good and bolstered cover (aim at a 3+), detatched from main force, maybe "protected" by Sniper squad and blast the hell out of any enemy scoring troop as the snipers will too.

-Cc scouts go for the vindi if needed or otherwise act as a human shield for more important units. they can score and should be used accordingly to force the opponent to waste precious fire on that silly 60 pts. they are just better armed cultists that won't flee.

-the first turn drop pod tries to kill the vindicator. then go for plague marines.

-the second dropped dreddy tries to kill the vindi if the first one failed. Otherwise go for the oblits if they are still a threat. Otherwise go for plague marines.

Some notes:
Target priority is key. 1) Drake 2)oblits 3) DP 4)Vindi 5) the rest
Multiple menaces to your enemy is key. You want him to over react to your dreadnoughts, you want him to go chasing that thunderfire cannon with the drake.
I assume that you have enough anti air to deal with both the critters. When the DP goes to ground, jump on him with missiles, tacticals and razorbacks. TL lascannons, if needed, can be useful antiair, albeit unreliable.
As the Codex says: "Concentrate on a target with the exclusion of all else. Obliterate the target. Find a new target."
My two cents

The Legion of Perfects Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux View Post
The calls of Slaneesh stir so deeply within me, as if I was birthed from the very essence of it. For my ambition to infinitely ascend above all is never ending, like fire within it burns me to ever cindering ash. Lord of light and ascension is who I am, realities burn to ash at my very passing. My luminescence is unparalleled for I am luminosity itself, all light is but a shadow of my silhouette
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-19-14, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your thoughts nerferhet it acctually sounds like a sound tactical plan, there is alot of firepower and I fully se your strategy! good thinking with the stalker (I have to proxy that)

are the CC scouts any good against plauge marines with T5 poisen and FnP?

And with his amount of firepower are the Razorbacks not just easy First Blood?

I will defenetly build my list around some of your choices.

Sternguard and Deathcompany are no go?

I very much like your note on target priority and what the codex says it sounds like common sense but I never thought of that

Thanks!

JH
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-19-14, 11:17 PM

UndeadKing's Flag is: Scotland

Oblits deepstriking into your backline will potentially ruin any vehicles you have. That lone stalker if you use it is likely doomed. Even the adl could be in trouble as if oblits survive then they can tie up your adl plus when you're shooting the oblits the rest of his force could be left thus giving him more advantage.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-14, 02:21 AM
So be it.

JAMOB's Flag is: USA

Well... I'm going to ignore the possibility of playing vanilla just because I like BA too much... This is a tough thing to deal with. Helldrakes can kill a rhino and then kill the squad inside of it in one turn, and vindicators are always good...

Libbies are always good for divination, plus free powersword... Twin ravens is a huge bit of your points, but I think they could do well. I'm not sure that they're necessary, but they are fun to play with. Normally I would suggest the av13 wall, but with d3 + 1 s7 hits on side armor 11 that might not be wise. I think that mobility will be your friend here. The ravens are probably the way to go, since they can't really get hurt by helldrakes (even vector strikes aren't amazing), and then for the other 750 I would have 2-3 assault squads and a librarian with a sanguinary priest (saves 1/3 of your marines from the helldrake). Make sure to play them in a line so that the helldrake can't get all that many of them at once, though even then it's not great... Just my thoughts. GLHF

-Jon

Quote:
If you go down to the woods today, be wary
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-14, 03:49 AM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

I don't have time right now to comment further on this, but I play BA excessively against a daemon prince, two heldrakes, and a vindicator.

Promise to get into this in my spare time tomorrow!

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-14, 09:11 AM
Herald of The Warp

Nordicus's Flag is: Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by neferhet View Post
2) scoring troops. unless he takes a token nurgle lord he will just have a couple of cultists units.
A little note from me, as I have played this opponent several times (Yes, me and Jay Harvest are in the same battlegroup);

- He usually takes a Terminator Nurgle lord, who is CC based with Fisticlaws.

- He takes 2-3 squads of 6-7 plaguemarines in each their rhino. Each squads aspiring champion has a powerfist.

- If he does bring cultists, it's a lonely squad of 10 which he puts in reserve to come in late in the game.

- The vindicator is almost a must, he always brings it. If he doesn't he brings a defiler in stead. In any case, bit pieplate of fuck-you-armor.

- The The daemon prince is not a sure call, but he has brought it a couple of times against me. Wings, power armor, mace. You know the score.

- He's learning to use his heldrake, so I wouldn't actually count on him using vector strike. I would more count on him grilling infantry with it, and him using his Oblits to bust open vehicles. As such, Vindicators might not be a bad idea.

Just a few notes from here on

Last edited by Nordicus; 03-20-14 at 09:14 AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Tags
blood angels , chaos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode