Have You Won With Tyranid? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-19-14, 12:24 AM Thread Starter

IntereoVivo's Flag is: Ghana

Default Have You Won With Tyranid?

As the title says, have you won with the new 'Nid codex? I have done nothing but get my face stomped in...

If you have won, please share how.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-19-14, 01:00 AM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

Not that I know fuck all about 'nids and their strengths with the new dex out, but it might help people to know what list you use that fails you so hard or what units you find weak and the armies that you're facing that are owning your shit. There might be easy fixes that people won't comment out on because that have no idea that the problem is more than you getting used to a new codex.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-19-14, 01:18 AM Thread Starter

That is fair. Mostly I've been getting owned by Tau and Eldar. DE kills me too, as does Necron's AV13 and flyers. Space Marines/CSM are probably my best match up but I can't ever shift their 2+ saves or their big tanks since they just kill all my big bugs.

I've been playing with everything in the codex with the exception of the Fast Attack flyers and the new big bugs.

I like running Mawlocs and Tervigons. Biovores have been pretty solid choices for me and I've had a small amount of luck infiltrating 2-4 squads of 15 Genestealers.

Last game I ran two Flyrants vs Tau and both of them survived a turn. One turn.

I'll try to dig out the actual lists I was using, but there doesn't seem to be much in the codex that doesn't turn into a pile of slush when a semi-competitive list looks at it.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-19-14, 01:34 AM

Creon's Flag is: USA

I have won, and again it was against marines. I think the flying big bugs are very necessary, especially against AV:13 and flyers. Tentaclids help some with that. DE and TAU are going to be tough, just from weight of fire. Against Crons, try some venomthropes, get those cover saves, and rake those aircraft and tentaclid them. That's my advice.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-19-14, 01:43 AM
Entropy Fetishist

Mossy Toes's Flag is: USA

My roommate had played several games with his new bugs with me and our Eldar-playing other roommate. We started an Escalation League among the three of us, and he's won 3 of his first 4 games at low points levels.

On a larger scale, with 1750 point armies, he's beaten me once and I've beaten him once or twice, IIRC, but they were good, close games that came down to the wire. I think he's lost to the Eldar the only game he's played against them.

How? Hmm. Venomthropes plus a gaunt screen for the rest of his army gives everything a 3+ cover save, which is damned annoying (less so against my cover-ignoring Noise Marines IDing his Venomthropes with Blastmasters, but...). Dual flyrant. Dakkafexes. A trygon with the plasma cannon unique relic is pretty useful. The jury is still out on Harpies and Hive Crones, though he's bought one and sometimes proxies another. I feel like tentaclids don't reliably do enough (unless you have 2 Crones firing 2 each at a Flyer), but a Vector Strike at S8 followed by a flamer template at point blank cleans up infantry nicely. The new big plasma cannon beasty--Haruspex? nah, that's the melee one. Whatever it's called--acquitted itself nobly, but I don't think he's sold on it.

CSM Plog, Tactica

What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator! Imperator!

Last edited by Mossy Toes; 03-19-14 at 01:50 AM.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-19-14, 02:24 AM Thread Starter

Maybe my problem is that I suck. Or that the guys I play with are jerks

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-19-14, 02:24 AM

AAAAAAAAARRRGGHH's Flag is: Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntereoVivo View Post
I've been playing with everything in the codex with the exception of the Fast Attack flyers and the new big bugs.
Well, there's your problem. 2x Hive Tyrants and 2-3x Hive Crones and work your way from there. Seriously, Crones are cheap, and great at wrecking face. Just be sure to hide them well when you don't go first, because they are kinda squishy when not swooping.
But really, if you can't get your playgroup to dial it down a bit so your bugs can play too, your army needs more wings. Also, what Mossy said. There's some good advice in there, somewhere... I think

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezlad View Post
So you're a wanker?
Who cares? Anyone that says they don't wank is a lying twat. Wank hard, wank often.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-19-14, 09:38 AM

neferhet's Flag is: Italy

Tau and eldar are going to kick everyone's butt so don't be afraid. thise edition, nids are all about flyrants, venomotropes, biovores, crones,dakkafexes...big bugs and nasty medium bugs. The swarm is not so swarmy, it's big nasty bugs, now.
Also, by the way you described your friends list i can feel the dark side of netlisting and uber competitve gaming..am i wrong?
btw the guys up here have lots of good insight.
My advice would be to find some good netlist of your own, a competitive ass-bag of bugs and stomp faces. But, mind you, nids are a funny, well done codex, hardly capable of taking out a min-maxed list from a top tier codex (like tau and eldar)

The Legion of Perfects Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux View Post
The calls of Slaneesh stir so deeply within me, as if I was birthed from the very essence of it. For my ambition to infinitely ascend above all is never ending, like fire within it burns me to ever cindering ash. Lord of light and ascension is who I am, realities burn to ash at my very passing. My luminescence is unparalleled for I am luminosity itself, all light is but a shadow of my silhouette
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-19-14, 12:26 PM
So be it.

JAMOB's Flag is: USA

I've played my brother a few times since the new dex came out and won about half, lost about half... I play BA, and seem to kill his guys pretty well (even though we randomize are army lists), but he positions his guys so that he wins on the actual objectives - hiding small units of rippers on objectives is good, because their instinctive behavior can't take them down below one model, and at that point they stop killing themselves so they're good. His flyrants have always done well, and the crone is annoying too... Depending on your opponents, gene stealers may be good (they ignore synapse), otherwise swaming gaunts is fun.

Quote:
If you go down to the woods today, be wary
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-19-14, 11:01 PM
Entropy Fetishist

Mossy Toes's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMOB View Post
hiding small units of rippers on objectives is good,
...you are aware that units with the Swarms special rule don't count as scoring, correct?

CSM Plog, Tactica

What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator! Imperator!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode