Have You Won With Tyranid? - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-14, 12:03 AM
So be it.

JAMOB's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy Toes View Post
...you are aware that units with the Swarms special rule don't count as scoring, correct?
Really? Damn... That certainly changes things... Where exactly does it say that? I'm looking at the swarms entry and it only mentions being vulnerable to blasts and templates and ignoring difficult terrain.

Quote:
If you go down to the woods today, be wary

Last edited by JAMOB; 03-20-14 at 12:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-14, 07:23 AM
Entropy Fetishist

Mossy Toes's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMOB View Post
Really? Damn... That certainly changes things... Where exactly does it say that? I'm looking at the swarms entry and it only mentions being vulnerable to blasts and templates and ignoring difficult terrain.
"Scoring Units," page 123. Swarms can't be scoring or denial.

CSM Plog, Tactica

What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator! Imperator!
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-14, 04:26 PM
So be it.

JAMOB's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy Toes View Post
"Scoring Units," page 123. Swarms can't be scoring or denial.
Ahh. Well then... That's a bit annoying but oh well

Quote:
If you go down to the woods today, be wary

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-14, 09:13 PM

Stephen_Newman's Flag is: United Kingdom

I'm gonna jump in here with some of my views.

Based on what you take you seem to lack what I consider two of the most important factors with Nids:

1. Synergy
2. Force Multiplication

1. Synergy is the basic way in which units interact with each other. In your example you mentioned that you like Mawlocs and Tervigons. I guess this is not the point but these two don't pair up very well because they perform different tasks. In an example I consider pairing Mawlocs with Lictors a better example of synergy since Lictors can infiltrate in and act as homing beacons for the Mawlocs so they don't scatter.

2. Force Multiplication is a factor that is important in most armies but I find that it is more important for Nids than for most armies out there. With Nids it's quite easy to shoot down one of something (Tervigon, Exocrine, whatever takes your fancy) but with more than one of these creatures they have a harder time dealing with it. You list a good example when you say 2-4 squads of Genestealers but as an aside I think Genestealers are utter shite in my opinion so you may want to consider something else.

I have recently started a new Blog. I would really appreciate it if you would LOOK AT IT
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-21-14, 05:19 PM

I see what you're saying about unit synergy but the point you've made is misleading. Just because Terv's and Mawlocs dont meld together well doesn't mean you should take one over the other. They have two completely different tasks to perform for a Tyranid army and thus you are free to use both of them.

Everything else Stephen says is bang on the money. Other synergy options are zoanthropes supporting Dakka-Fex's or Exocrines and venomthropes combing their awesomeness with a Aegis Defence Line.

[Edited] I ended up ranting about how I hate the dex lmao. Didn't add to the conversation... these aren't the droids you're looking for... move along!

Even though you walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I'm there waiting... and your not coming out alive!
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-25-14, 07:50 PM

lockeF's Flag is: USA

I will add my 2 cents for what is is worth.

I have had some pretty good success with the new codex.

From what I have learned (and everyone else) is that synapse is really important. At 1500 I have 6 separate sources and have not been in danger of losing it. I have used venomthropes but decided it was bunching up my forces too much as I was trying to take advantage of that 6 inch bubble. .

My current 1500 list is this

Flyrant - 2 TL devourers
Flyrant - 2 TL devourers (regen on the non-warlord)

Troops
5 genestealers plus a broodlord
5 genestealers plus a broodlord

Fast Attack
Hive Crone

Elites
Zoan
Zoan
Zoan

Heavy
Biovore
Biovore

I am also using the endless swarm formation
3 warriors w/barbed strangler
10 termagants
10 termagants
12 hormagaunts
12 hormagaunts
12 hormagaunts

I could be wrong about the hormagaunt numbers (they keep breaking and I keep having to change my list , I lost 6 so added regen).

The list has tabled DE, tabled DE/Edlar, and almost tabled Tau, but the game ended on turn 5.

I personally think the zoans are better then the venomthropes because they offer a chance to get catalyst, but the other powers are great too. Forcing firewarriors to be pinned is awesome. Reducing the WS/BS of anything is great. Onslaught is sweet as it gets your Tyrants closer to the enemy turn 1 to murder a squad in shooting. I often end up going second and hide my tyrants and crone all on one flank behind los terrain. Genestealers infiltrate 18 inches away in some sort of cover, hormagaunts start on the line, termagants too, zoans intermingled, if one has catalyst it is closest to tyrants. Biovores and warriors in the back. I have 5 ways to cause pinning checks (not counting the psychic powers of the zoans and tyrants), ways to deal with back field units, plenty of scoring, and lots of synapse.

The army is hard to play and making a mistake can be very costly, but if played right they can do very well. I have not played against Tau/Eldar yet and I know that would be a rough match up, but I think I could pull off a victory... maybe.

@ Stephen - I don't think genestealers are terrible. Now, in 5th I used to almost always use 2 squads because they were just so good in CC, especially outflanking. Now, I use them as another threat on the board. They are still good in CC and if they can pin a unit, even better. Combined with the 3 hormagaunt broods there are just a lot of fast CC little guys coming at people and if one gets shot up then oh well. Even better, stealers don't need synapse and thus IMO make a good scoring unit. Broodlords are still great in challenges too.

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-26-14, 10:13 AM
Feed

Really any number of strategies can work. However the important thing is to make sure the units you take work well together.

Crones work well when they start off the board, or leave the board first turn to swoop on later already closed with the enemy. Making this work better means taking a swarmlord or such to bring reserves on faster.

Trygons and mawlocs as well work well with a lictor to mark their entry point and prevent scatter. Again, the swarmlord is well suited to speeding up this process.

Venomthropes are amazing, made better with aegis lines in your list.

Zoanthropes are also amazing, but tend to compete with lictors and venomthropes.

So you see the trick is really to focus on one or two central strategies and build your list around that.

Nonsense is our Salvation

post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-26-14, 11:56 PM Thread Starter

IntereoVivo's Flag is: Ghana

This Saturday I have a 1999 game vs IG. Any advice for me going into the meat grinder?

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-27-14, 06:34 PM
Ranty ranter!

MetalHandkerchief's Flag is: Norway

Tyranid owners have always been shafted by GW, they are the army to get the most frequent and violent swings per unit, from viable to not viable from edition to edition and from codex to codex and sometimes even overnight with errata/ FAQs.

Expect each and every one of your good things to become bad or sub par overnight on four separate occasions between release and next codex. In 4th/5th they didn't even have a single thing in their codex I would want to use in any other army.

That said, as has been mentioned above, there are decent Nid lists out there right now, but expect that to last 3-6 months.

I've had recurring nightmares
That I was loved for who I am
And missed the opportunity
To become a better man
~MUSE - Hoodoo
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-27-14, 10:11 PM
Entropy Fetishist

Mossy Toes's Flag is: USA

Oh yeah, there's only Tournament Organizers banning the use of formations purely on account of how great the Skyblight Formation is. (ok, and the tau one, but...)

CSM Plog, Tactica

What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator! Imperator!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode