Whats in a Knight box? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-12-14, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
nice boy, daft though !

bitsandkits's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default Whats in a Knight box?

Because of what i do i have the fairly unique privilege of getting my grubby hands on almost all GW new model products and from time to time i like to give a little insight into whats in the box, No doubt by now many of you will have seen the stunning pictures of the Imperial knight kit all painted up in white dwarf or online and those pictures alone will have been enough to get you to put your hands in your pockets and hand over your cash, right now im sure the GW board is taking a swim in there Scrooge mcDuck like money bins.

So first off the bat, say hello to a massive new base type, which is even larger than the oval base first used with the Tyranid Trygon and for the flying base of all 40k flyers, thats right its even larger than that by a fair amount, secondly you get a very nice A5 sized decal sheet with some very detailed decals on it, this decal sheet is not the same as the one that is available to purchase in the GW webstore for 12, that sheet is double the size and has far more stuff featured on it.

After that its 3 jam packed sprues ,with 147 parts spread over them, the kit is very detailed and after looking at the very fine and small parts i would say this in one of GWs harder kits to build well, it has quite a number of small but functioning parts for a GW kit, so i would imagine that some less experienced or younger modelers may struggle with the kit, like most complex kits i would personally advice building and painting in sub assemblies rather than building the walker and then trying to prime and paint it, the kit also contains a fair number of poseable parts to make the model look more dynamic, sadly the legs are pretty well fixed, but considering the top heavy nature of the models i suppose that was to be expected. The high part count is due to the level of detail included in the kit, it would have been pretty easy for GW to reduce the the number of parts and loose a significant amount detail and make the knight resemble its epic scale counter parts much more closely, but this model really goes the extra mile, the head for example is made up of 6 indiviual parts before you even start to look at the 3 armoured face plates , then there are little touches like the many purity seals,eagle heads,icons,hand rails and various pipes and tubes that need to be stuck on to add flavour.

Looking at the model from the point of veiw of what might come next two things spring to mind, none of the armour sections are attached to the super structure on the sprue, which means they could very easily either have FW knock up variants with different armour pannels and use the plastic kit as a base model like they do with the bane blade and ripe tide, or indeed GW could use the model super structure and simply modify the plates using CAD to represent other types of Knight model or even for chaos versions if they wanted to.

the second thing was how the arms attach to the main body, the arms are actually removable (assuming you didnt glue them in place) as they have included a bayonet type of fixing at each shoulder of the knight meaning it would be very easy to sell an upgrade sprue to people who already own a knight (and havent glued the shoulders to the arms) and want different weapons, i dont know if this is the case or if it was done with that intention, but considering the popularity of the Knights i could see this happen in the future.

the artwork on the box and painted examples show what can be achieved with this model, If your a purist like me and want to paint one or more of the ancient houses then your in for a treat, the model provides a very good base model for doing free hand/air brushing/decal application and make no mistake this isnt a fast project.

so there you have it .

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-13-14, 12:24 AM

Ok, now I want one.

Thank you for the review!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-13-14, 12:37 AM

Awesome way out of my price range but this kit looks so dam awesome. And the whole "knightly houses" reminds me of mech warrior

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-13-14, 07:18 AM

SonofVulkan's Flag is: United Kingdom

Thanks for the review. One of the best models GW has brought out for a while. I saw the decal sheet down the local store and must say its the best one they've produced yet. Just a shame the knight doesn't ally with my current armies else I may have picked one up.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-13-14, 08:56 AM Thread Starter
nice boy, daft though !

bitsandkits's Flag is: United Kingdom

Can anyone tell me who sculpted the knight? It no longer tells you on the box anymore.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-13-14, 11:51 AM
Where is Jessica Hyde?

humakt's Flag is: England

Does it not say in a WD somewhere?

This is certainly a kit I want to get, maybe multiple times to build a small army of Knights!

Your toast has been burnt and no amount of scraping will get rid of the black bits.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-14-14, 02:59 PM

DarkDisciple_Nahum's Flag is: USA

Awesome review, very detailed and insightful. I would like to get a knight and will in the future. This has helped make sure of that.

Yeah, we flew our space church across 500 light years to get to this planet taken over by the space orks. Now we're going to drop from orbit in buckets and run out and shoot pistols and hit people in the head with chainsaws. Yeaaaah Ultramarines!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode