Fun Armies - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-25-14, 01:42 AM
Token Trans Mod

Zion's Flag is: USA

I played pure Sisters for 5 years (that is three codexes oddly enough). I'm working on a Crimson Slaughter army that is less than perfectly optimized (extra CCW, MoK and IoW sees to that. And the unit champs are rocking a pair of Lighting Claws). Also trip-plasma Forgefiend, because the model is awesome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-25-14, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zion View Post
I played pure Sisters for 5 years (that is three codexes oddly enough). I'm working on a Crimson Slaughter army that is less than perfectly optimized (extra CCW, MoK and IoW sees to that. And the unit champs are rocking a pair of Lighting Claws). Also trip-plasma Forgefiend, because the model is awesome.
Srsly? I want pics because that sounds awesome. I'm, hesitantly, contemplating buying another DV just for the Chaos and making one of these now that the CS book is out.
post #23 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-25-14, 02:02 AM
Token Trans Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace of Ultramar View Post
Srsly? I want pics because that sounds awesome. I'm, hesitantly, contemplating buying another DV just for the Chaos and making one of these now that the CS book is out.
I plan to start a plog for them (to push me to actually paint everything before I run out and buy $500 worth of CSM) and do some painting articles over on TWG.

post #24 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-25-14, 02:03 AM

Straken's_Fist's Flag is: South Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khorne's Fist View Post
Whatever happened to playing a game for enjoyment whether you win or lose? Some of the most enjoyable games I've played, wether it's in 40k, FoW, or Bolt Action, have been the close run battles that came down to the final dice roll, many of which didn't go my way.
Yeah definitely. I have had many games that were lost literately on the last roll of the game, and they are the most memorable and for the most part I always felt really good afterwards.
I also really enjoyed entering a fluffy Thousand Sons list into a Campaign even though I lost about 50% of my games, everyone seemed to just enjoy seeing a fluffy list amongst a lot of competitive lists. It felt pretty good.
It really depends a lot on who you play and your attitude towards the game I think: If I am crushing an opponent I usually feel bad about it and will kind of try subtly making 'mistakes' to let them get back in the game a bit. Or if they have some horrendous luck I will let them re-roll dice if they want. Often this has led to my detriment lol But hey, whatever, I don't enjoy one sided games or games that are ruined by a few god awful dice rolls. I realise that is part of the game, but looked back I have never enjoyed the one sided crushing victories that were absolutely no challenge. You have to be a dick if you enjoy that. It's not fun for me, not fun for my opponent...Definitely not in the spirit of the game.
This is why I will avoid power gamers or those who bring netlists: I usually know who they are and I know they don't extend the same favours I extend to people I play, or the same sense of humour.
post #25 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-25-14, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zion View Post
I plan to start a plog for them (to push me to actually paint everything before I run out and buy $500 worth of CSM) and do some painting articles over on TWG.
Freak'n sweet! I can't wait to see that!
post #26 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-25-14, 02:25 AM

My fun armies are very fluffy like my DE urien coven with 3 more hemos. Lots of wracks, a squad of grotesques, talos, and scourges.
Or my bad moon orks with three squads of flash gitz
post #27 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-25-14, 02:30 AM
Token Trans Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace of Ultramar View Post
Freak'n sweet! I can't wait to see that!
Well I hope to be started on it next week when I have time (and it's hopefully warm enough). I hope it'll be as good as I want it to be.
post #28 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-25-14, 11:56 AM

I still find a fun army is CSM especially when you rock up to the table with such old models as (these aren't mine, but I don't have piccys of mine and they don't look great anyway.

as a helbrute (Classic Space Crusade Dreadnought)

As the Plague marines or Possessed / Chosen. (Classic Plague Marines from about 20years ago)

And people panic and don't know what they are or maybe why they are all metal till you explain to them.

As for fun armies that win / lose you cant really go wrong with Daemons, cos on a random roll your whole army kinda implodes and with all the random dice for your army it can be a bit hard to plan.
Generally though the best way is to plan an army for fighting every opponent, rather than tailor your army to the current opponent. This way you have to take a balance of high AP or high amounts of shots or whatever. The best army for this IMOO is Imperial Guard or Orcs, though I heard Tau are good for it as well.
Other options include things like deliberately nurfing yourself by electing NOT to take something that you normally rely on and try to work ways around it. OR in an individual games maybe agree between you and your opponent before creating lists to be able to "Veto" the use of 1 relic and 2 units (for instance CSM no plague marines, vindicators & black mace, while Loyal SM no Vindi, Ironclad & Burning Blade.)
post #29 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-25-14, 02:47 PM

IntereoVivo's Flag is: Ghana

I got into Tyranids in a big way as a fun army. I like being able to throw giant bugs at people.

I've also started a non-optimized Eldar army since most of my playgroup is hyper competitive in list building and I do like to be able to make my games as close as possible.

post #30 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-25-14, 02:59 PM
nice boy, daft though !

bitsandkits's Flag is: United Kingdom

i blame MTG and the internet

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode