Fun Armies - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-10-14, 02:03 PM
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

I've only played two games of 6th because anyone still playing 40k in my group only wants to play their latest killer list, where as I prefer to play fluffy. I have an idea of how my wolf lord uses his great company, and try to build around that rather than look for the killer combo. This means I usually get spanked, which gets tired after a while.

It's the same reason I got pissed off with Flames of War. I got into that because running a tank battalion is just too cool not to, but, yet again people realised that the odds are stacked massively in favour of infantry forces, and start playing to win with infantry hordes rather than enjoy the spectacle of recreating the massed tank battles of Kursk or North Africa.

Whatever happened to playing a game for enjoyment whether you win or lose? Some of the most enjoyable games I've played, wether it's in 40k, FoW, or Bolt Action, have been the close run battles that came down to the final dice roll, many of which didn't go my way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-10-14, 03:18 PM

Archon Dan's Flag is: USA

I have always felt my Dark Eldar is a fun army. Whether they win or lose, I can spin it that they achieved their goal.

Oh, my Warhost was obliterated by Space Marines? That's fine. They were a distraction to keep the Marines away from the city where civilians were being rounded up. And when they win; clearly that was the goal.

My other armies are fun as well, especially when I am really working with their fluff.

"Fetch me another plaything. This one seems to have broken." -Urien Rakarth

Space Marine- "This planet is ours, witch."
Eldar- "No ... This planet is theirs ..."
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-10-14, 08:50 PM

LokiDeathclaw's Flag is: United Kingdom

I go for fluffy armies with models I like. My SW's have 3 dreads (one a FW Ven dread), Blood Claws, CC Termies, TWC etc........even contemplating a Knight!!

Loki Deathclaw's Great Company-https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/showthread.php?t=126454

High Elves Plog- Caledor Warhost-https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=154490

post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-10-14, 09:37 PM
Rattlehead

The Ork Army of Derp. Couple of variations, both built around a core of 100 Boyz (60 Sluggas, 40 Shootas - Sluggas go in either 3 squads of 20, one as Ard Boyz, or two squads of 30 with Painbosses). Mekboy Junkas, Void Shield Generators, Shokk Attack Gun Mek, pair of Battlewagons, Nobstar, stuff gets mixed and matched. It has precisely one ranged anti-tank weapon. A Shokk Attack Gun.

Is it fun? Hell yeah. Does it win? Surprisingly, yes, it's not awful. But does that just make it more fun? Awww yiss.
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-10-14, 11:19 PM
Spored to be Wild

morfangdakka's Flag is: USA

I play orks and I only play fluffy list. Deathskullz are my army so loots of looted things are in the army. I also play stuff that most people don't play like flash gitz and big guns. I usually have two big meks with Shokk attack guns. So I think it catches people by surprise because I win or draw most of my games and the few I lose are usually close games decided in the last turn.

My chaos Dark Talon army I started will also be fluffy so not really concerned with it if it wins. I want it to look good on the table and have fun playing it. I never use net list anymore because I always seem to get spanked hard when I use them but probably because they don't fit my play style. So I will just stay with my fun fluffy armies.

Red Orc
"Ahh, isn't Morfang sweet, like a great big 350-pound (that's 25 stone, UK users!) ball of cuddly death...?"

God, gives children to people so that death won't seem so disappointing.
post #16 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-11-14, 05:55 PM

d3m01iti0n's Flag is: USA

After the fiasco that was Ultra Templars I went back to my Orks. Havent had this much fun in a while. Full Green Tide lists are intimidating, and the wackiness of a Weirdboy keeps your opponent off guard. Of course with Loota and Shoota blobs, you are either terrifing or a complete failure after 30-60 shots respectively.
post #17 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-13-14, 02:01 PM
Where is Jessica Hyde?

humakt's Flag is: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khorne's Fist View Post
Whatever happened to playing a game for enjoyment whether you win or lose? Some of the most enjoyable games I've played, wether it's in 40k, FoW, or Bolt Action, have been the close run battles that came down to the final dice roll, many of which didn't go my way.
This a thousand times!

I hate totally dominating my opponent and also dislike getting tabled by a totally over powered list. Its not big or clever to create killer combo lists. Its just dull.

A close game that comes down to the last few rolls of the dice is much more preferable than a game that is all over by turn 2.

Your toast has been burnt and no amount of scraping will get rid of the black bits.
post #18 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-14-14, 01:46 PM
Token Trans Mod

Zion's Flag is: USA

I've found that even when you have the short end of the stick playing the game because you didn't bring the most tooled up army list of whatever is seen as the best army out there right now a game can become fun if played "right".

One of the things that helps is giving yourself secondary objectives. It's kept my Sisters interesting ("I want to wreck their Land Raider with my Repentia" is always hilarious).

It's a mindset thing that makes it work though, so some people won't be able to make it work sadly.
post #19 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-14-14, 04:47 PM

DarkDisciple_Nahum's Flag is: USA

My fun lists are my Daemons list. I run two bloodletters squads of varying size one w/ a herald (just got my Skulltaker painted last month , a big 20 horror blob, 3 bloodcrushers, and two 6 flamers squads one w/ a herald. Then I add in my two soulgrinders and a bloodthirster. Sure a Khorne/Tzeentch army isn't competitive, but its fun to run up the board.

Yeah, we flew our space church across 500 light years to get to this planet taken over by the space orks. Now we're going to drop from orbit in buckets and run out and shoot pistols and hit people in the head with chainsaws. Yeaaaah Ultramarines!
post #20 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-25-14, 01:27 AM
experiment 626's Flag is: Canada

I only 40k for fun, so all of my armies are built around a set backstory or theme.
Currently my Daemons in progress are mono-Tzeentch, but also include some converted 'counts as' units such as Firewyrms of Tzeentch (Beast of Nurgle rules) & Chagebringers (Plaguedrone rules).
The entire army is even modeled to represent the Space Wolves' enmity towards Tzeentch in particular, with bitz of dead Space Puppies littering my bases. Alongside them are also a few bitz of roasted Eldar and for my biggest, baddest dudes the odd dead Grey Knight!

My favourite unit in the entire army is:
Tzaar'Quaysh, The Altered One, Accursed Conjurer - Tzherald w/Locus of Change, Mutating Warpblade + Lesser reward, Lv3 psyker (1 Tizz + 2 Div)
'The Corusacting Host' - 18 Pink Horrors w/full command, Blasted Standard, Etherblade.

Not optimised in the least, but damn is it fun to see Horrors actually launching assaults and hitting things with S5 or S6 on occasion! (or else opponents re-thinking their own assaults due to S5/6 re-rolling attacks!)
And the Warpblade is awesome for beating down Sergeants and growing some Chaos Spawns!

I'd also like to expand out and add in roughly 1500 - 2000pts worth each of Khorne & Slaanesh, just to add even more options & story potential.

To this I'm looking to add a bunch of CSM allies, including a sizable contingent of the Oracles of Change, a couple squads of Thousand Sons, a few Alpha Legion infiltrators and a small band of Fallen Angels. (to annoy my die-hard DA buddy!)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode