A brief look at the past and future of 40K Video games - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-06-14, 12:20 PM

Silens's Flag is: Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackGuard View Post
This could also be very well done, but again must be done by someone like Bioware or Bethesda. I'm surprised to see a lot of Devs that make high quality games don't seem to see any potential in the Warhammer 40k lore. Fantasy may be getting some relief since Total War is going to develop a game based around their engines (maybe).

Perhaps we should start a glorious campaign towards Bioware and Bethesda to draw their attention to making an epic 40k game?
My biggest criticisms of Bethesda are that their games don't go very deep in certain ways (For example, to hunt down and kill the dragon priests in Skyrim your choices are: 1. Google their locations or 2. Dungeon crawl and hope for the best. There are no books to look out for which speak of secret powers in certain locations and none of the dragon priests even hint at being related outside of the fluff and Labyrinthian). The other one is that the cities are ridiculously small. Assassins creed does large cities quite well, but the "cities" of Skyrim are smaller than the hamlets and villages of real life!

I'm not sure I would want Bethesda to make a 40k game. I don't think they're as divine as the internet makes them out to be, though they are pretty awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicus View Post
"Look they got a-OH MY GOD I'M ON FIRE FOR THE LOVE OF NAKED SANTA IT HURTS!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-06-14, 12:26 PM

The trick is to make the scope limited. Doing an everything-game will be technically incredibly challenging, so start smaller. Choose a location where there are towns not cities, and where not every uber-think exists. Then expand it over time to more scope.

What you need is a setting which has multiple races somehow, but nothing too mega. Some fringe world with bits of several races to start with, and see how it goes. Don;t include titans, make the scope smaller. The God Unit is a land raider or contemptor, or a wraithlord or Battlewagon. As the tech gets better and bigger is possible expand to other worlds via transport or the webway, add new races. I think this is how WoW worked.
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-06-14, 01:45 PM

SwedeMarine's Flag is: Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiro the avenger! View Post
It would be cool to have a BFG set game, maybe like space combat in Star Wars-empire at war
Make it a 4X style game like Sword of the stars or Sins of a solar empire. that would be something that has my attention for sure.

Quote:
Or a Titan based shooter game, that would be SICK
They already have one. Its called Mechwarrior ;)

Seriously a Titan based shooter would be almost exactly like mechwarrior but with less variety i think but i have to admit i like the idea.

Check out my Sentinels of Terra/ CSM Plog
Sentinels of Terra/Rot Bringers CSM PLOG
W:9 D:2 L:5

post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-06-14, 03:51 PM

kiro the avenger!'s Flag is: England

I haven't seen any of the games you listed swede... And I call myself a gamer
But I trust you... Even if it's been done before, what hasn't? It's as much the feeling of I get to pilot a warlord that gets me excited... In the Titan one you could have the different classes, as well as skitari perhaps running around, I do like squishing ants
And I think the reason why Bethesda has small cities... Is because they focus on the combat of an RPG, I would hate to spend 30mins looking for the jarls palace... I already do looking for feandal at the start...
Or simply having a CoDesc shooter, with a wide range of imperial based weaponry and perhaps different races to pick from, each carrying their own racial traits and weapons to the field

Through temptation and horror
I have held to my faith
As a drowning man grasps at a rock
Judge me not by my weakness
Remember not my sins of late
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-06-14, 05:16 PM

SwedeMarine's Flag is: Sweden

Quote:
I haven't seen any of the games you listed swede... And I call myself a gamer
But I trust you... Even if it's been done before, what hasn't? It's as much the feeling of I get to pilot a warlord that gets me excited... In the Titan one you could have the different classes, as well as skitari perhaps running around, I do like squishing ants
Seriously!? I guess i could understand Sword of the Stars. But Sins Of a Solar Empire? It was a Huge game.

SOTS i can understand not that many people may have heard of it but it is an awesome game (even though it doesnt have gamespy support anymore).

Mechwarrior was a game with titans (actually probably more like Knights) that you could customize and do mission in. There are literally hundreds of Combinations and Tons of different varieties of mech.

Check out my Sentinels of Terra/ CSM Plog
Sentinels of Terra/Rot Bringers CSM PLOG
W:9 D:2 L:5

post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-06-14, 05:18 PM

Jolnir's Flag is: Canada

Mechwarrior was a game I played at a friends house every chance I got when I was a kid. Loved it.
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-06-14, 07:12 PM

kiro the avenger!'s Flag is: England

Well, in terms of games, I've been a PC gamer since Xmas, and a console gamer since I was like 8...
So any old games, I've never heard of, but I have fond memories of PS2 gaming... Jak and danger, Star Wars battle front II, Simpsons hit and run, ETC
But I think 40K has an Infinate scope for games, any game I've seen can be applied to a 40k background, I believe there was a kickass LFD2 mod...
I find it hard to believe that devs Arnt jumping on it, I guess it still carries the stereotype of a zero chick nerd magnet

Through temptation and horror
I have held to my faith
As a drowning man grasps at a rock
Judge me not by my weakness
Remember not my sins of late

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode