So, are we happy bunnys yet? - Page 4 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 127 (permalink) Old 02-27-14, 04:27 PM
Senior Member
 
Jace of Ultramar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: San Antonio, Tx
Posts: 3,868
Reputation: 22
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scscofield View Post
How about less cunty bickering and more on topic gw love.
Just saw the Damned bundle set, which I like and will probably order just to get the models I don't have!

On a separate note, I may buy a box of Vampire Counts skeletons to kit bash and use for Damned with my Marines that are still on sprue.
Jace of Ultramar is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 127 (permalink) Old 02-27-14, 06:32 PM
Senior Member
 
Gret79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,629
Reputation: 14
Default

Just remembered - I want a dreadclaw and those myrmidon destructors too. Fw are also on a bit of a roll
Gret79 is offline  
post #33 of 127 (permalink) Old 02-27-14, 06:36 PM
Senior Member
 
Jace of Ultramar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: San Antonio, Tx
Posts: 3,868
Reputation: 22
Default

I'm surprised FW hasn't done a LotD yet... that would be awesome sauce
Jace of Ultramar is offline  
 
post #34 of 127 (permalink) Old 02-27-14, 09:33 PM
Senior Member
 
Sethis's Avatar
Sethis's Flag is: United Kingdom
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Alston, Cumbria
Posts: 4,190
Reputation: 58
Default

I really like the Eldar codex. It's got multiple viable units and strategies that the majority of players will never really use because it requires a fundamentally huge pool of models and the builds are a lot less auto-win than "Serpents and Jetbikes and Wraithknights" which is all that a lot of people see when they read the codex.

So yeah, after 4th and 5th, I'm damn happy with my book. I just wish we could get rid of all the characters and models that are now over 20 years old. Specifically, Jetbikes, the Avatar, Phoenix Lords and Eldrad. The redo of Lilith Hesperax and creation of Illic Nightspear shows us what kind of kickass model GW can put together when they try. There is no excuse for the flat bodied, tiny little things that represent the most powerful warriors of our race.

But the codex makes me very happy indeed.

90% of people think they are above average.

Statistically Improbable. Psychologically Inevitable.
Sethis is offline  
post #35 of 127 (permalink) Old 02-27-14, 11:53 PM
Senior Member
 
Straken's_Fist's Avatar
Straken's_Fist's Flag is: South Georgia
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Wiltshire
Posts: 1,094
Reputation: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightSun View Post
Has it occurred to anyone that if you want Berzerkers on Juggernaughts or Plague Marines on Palanquins or units of Aspiring Sorcerors on Discs, you can do that? GW has always said "make your own rules". In 6th edition, that message hasn't changed but is being pushed harder (well, they might have added "because we sure as hell can't" to the end). Sure, if you want to go to a tournament they won't let you, but not that many people go to tournaments. Any half-reasonable group of friends should let you run these things, because hey, it's cool, and this is a game of toy soldiers...
This.

Once you start seeing the game this way and altering your approach to it, you enjoy it so much more:
What I mean by that is that I think some people (myself included in the past) want GW to spoon feed them supplements to make up for the lack of balance (especially compared to other systems) and make their favourite army better...Well, that aint happening, because it just isn't the kind of game that focuses on balance, it's much more about the background, creating storylines (or narratives) and being creative with scenarios, homebrewing etc. GW have made this abundantly clear. It's a beer and pretzels game, embrace it as such and have a good time.
Fact is, 40k does what it is meant to do incredibly well. Hats off to GW for that. If you want a game that focuses on the gaming side with rigorously play tested and balanced rules and units, you are better off with something like Infinity or Mali. But the trade off there is that the fluff is pretty piss poor compared to 40k. There are no real 'themed' armies and very little diversity in terms of themed lists and what you can do in terms of conversions and modelling...40k in comparison has a crazy amount of diversity now with the break neck speed of supplement and codex releases, and that is rather awesome in it's own way. And it allows greater creativity in terms of painting and modelling IMO.

And honestly, who even plays this game competitively anymore? It's got to be quite a small minority...

Last edited by Straken's_Fist; 02-27-14 at 11:58 PM.
Straken's_Fist is offline  
post #36 of 127 (permalink) Old 02-28-14, 12:50 AM
Senior Member
 
Ryu_Niimura's Avatar
Ryu_Niimura's Flag is: Netherlands
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Rotterdam
Posts: 379
Reputation: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straken's_Fist View Post
This.

Once you start seeing the game this way and altering your approach to it, you enjoy it so much more:
What I mean by that is that I think some people (myself included in the past) want GW to spoon feed them supplements to make up for the lack of balance (especially compared to other systems) and make their favourite army better...Well, that aint happening, because it just isn't the kind of game that focuses on balance, it's much more about the background, creating storylines (or narratives) and being creative with scenarios, homebrewing etc. GW have made this abundantly clear. It's a beer and pretzels game, embrace it as such and have a good time.
Fact is, 40k does what it is meant to do incredibly well. Hats off to GW for that. If you want a game that focuses on the gaming side with rigorously play tested and balanced rules and units, you are better off with something like Infinity or Mali. But the trade off there is that the fluff is pretty piss poor compared to 40k. There are no real 'themed' armies and very little diversity in terms of themed lists and what you can do in terms of conversions and modelling...40k in comparison has a crazy amount of diversity now with the break neck speed of supplement and codex releases, and that is rather awesome in it's own way. And it allows greater creativity in terms of painting and modelling IMO.

And honestly, who even plays this game competitively anymore? It's got to be quite a small minority...
I reckon it is but that small minority often happens to be the most vocal one. People will bitch and moan untill the end of time, that's how it has always been.

I have just started to rediscover the hobby part of Warhammer and am slowly but surely beginning to take a liking to painting/converting my models and looking at them with pride. I'd love to play a game with the models that I'm so proud of every now and then but because the people at my local GW are a bunch of assholes and because I like to play lists that are anything but competative I rarely get the chance to do so while actually enjoying myself. But that still doesn't get me down as I continue to search for new and awesome models to add to my collection and think up background stories for my armies and GW has provided more than I could ask for in that regard.

Ryu_Niimura is offline  
post #37 of 127 (permalink) Old 02-28-14, 04:02 PM
Senior Member
 
Igni Ferroque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 218
Reputation: 2
Default

GW has been very consistent in one department and have actually been rather odd in another...

Consistently they still hate Nids and really enjoy kicking them in the teeth.

Oddly, they really have upped their money making game and are releasing some cool stuff that looks worth-while buying. I am really impressed with how fast this stuff is being produced and marketed. I'll still ebay the majority of it as its still over-priced and outside my sanity bracket.

What I wish for?
Revamp of some of the rules and community play-testing of new stuff. Let the players have a say in how to make the garbage units worth-while and tone down the imba units.

I wish they'd bring back drop pods and doom... but i'll find a magic lamp before this happens!

Even though you walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I'm there waiting... and your not coming out alive!
Igni Ferroque is offline  
post #38 of 127 (permalink) Old 02-28-14, 05:03 PM
Rattlehead
 
MidnightSun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New Sheoth
Posts: 6,741
Reputation: 83
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igni Ferroque View Post
What I wish for?
Revamp of some of the rules and community play-testing of new stuff. Let the players have a say in how to make the garbage units worth-while and tone down the imba units.

I wish they'd bring back drop pods and doom... but i'll find a magic lamp before this happens!
But this stuff can all happen; how many times do GW have to say that the rules are just a base to be expanded or modified before the message gets through to the community? If you want to use Mycetic Spores and the Doom of Malan'tai, then any decent gaming group should let you - after all, it lets them use whatever cool stuff they want that was dropped from their books or that they're disappointed with.

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).
MidnightSun is offline  
post #39 of 127 (permalink) Old 02-28-14, 05:11 PM
Senior Member
 
Igni Ferroque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 218
Reputation: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightSun View Post
But this stuff can all happen; how many times do GW have to say that the rules are just a base to be expanded or modified before the message gets through to the community? If you want to use Mycetic Spores and the Doom of Malan'tai, then any decent gaming group should let you - after all, it lets them use whatever cool stuff they want that was dropped from their books or that they're disappointed with.
I play the game competitively as well as for the fun of it. I can homebrew all I like but official tournaments wont allow me to bring my own rules to the scene and use them.

Even though you walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I'm there waiting... and your not coming out alive!
Igni Ferroque is offline  
post #40 of 127 (permalink) Old 02-28-14, 05:13 PM
Rattlehead
 
MidnightSun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New Sheoth
Posts: 6,741
Reputation: 83
Default

That's not really Games Workshop's fault. They do not endorse or support tournaments, and have made it pretty clear that 40k is not supposed to be suitable for competitive play. Don't blame a hammer manufacturer that their hammers don't work as screwdrivers.

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).
MidnightSun is offline  
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome