So, are we happy bunnys yet? - Page 13 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #121 of 127 (permalink) Old 04-09-14, 10:32 PM
Token Trans Mod

Zion's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by incinerator950 View Post
Their loss.
I'm going to go with a Wargames reference: "A strange game. The only winning move is not to play."

There is nothing GW can do to make everyone happy. I'm not saying there aren't things that they could do, but when it comes to pricing I really don't think we're being screwed nearly as much as we think. Even if it doesn't cost much to make things (and that's counting what GW spends on) there is a lot that gets eaten up by taxes, operating expenses (stores, battle bunkers, ect) and everything else. In the very end would you like to know how much GW actually kept of all the money they made in 2013?

In 2013 they had 134,597,000 GBP in Revenue (that's the money we gave them), but when is all said and done all that was left as profit was 16,318,000 GBP. That's their actual Retained Earnings that they actually can claim as a Net Profit when all is said and done. That's 12.12% of the money they took in.

You know what those retained earnings go? That's where those dividends come from, it goes back into the company so they don't have to borrow money to buy or repair equipment and generally keep a large safety net so if they screw up again and have another issue like they did in 2007 they don't have to go borrow money again (they actually float enough cash that they are able to all their debts TODAY if they all come due RIGHT NOW). It also helps pay for stuff like Games Day and new products like those Imperial Knights (GW doesn't record R&D costs separately and the money has to come from somewhere)

So no, GW isn't a bunch of money grubbing assholes and no they really can't afford to lower prices by much (what's 12 pence off a Landraider really going to get you? Part of a candy bar?), at least as they are now. If GW cuts prices they'll need to basically can their largest cash sink: their stores and sales branches. No more GW stores, Battle Bunkers, ect. Just their webstore and FLGSes. I don't think that'd make people who only have GW stores near them happy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 127 (permalink) Old 04-09-14, 10:37 PM

Jolnir's Flag is: Canada

It's a business with a premium product. Pay to play. No one cries to Ferrari because they aren't affordable enough.

If the new prices don't appeal to your wallet, then continue to buy used.
post #123 of 127 (permalink) Old 04-09-14, 10:39 PM
Irn Bru 32!

Nacho libre's Flag is: Scotland

Its an expensive hobby, but you chose to start it.

post #124 of 127 (permalink) Old 04-09-14, 10:47 PM

Straken's_Fist's Flag is: South Georgia

It's a bit like complaining about the price of cocaine..."Oh, 50 quid a gram is expensive, you are ripping me off!" Then don't take it? Get drunk instead or something...Or start scuba diving.
And besides, you do that to a coke dealer you will probably get your head kicked in. At least with GW we can by a new product off ebay or through 1/3 off websites. You get a 1/3 off with coke or methamphetamines it means you are likely going to be buying from the 17 year old kid who lives in the sewer and it will be cut with laundry detergent and the crushed up bones of the neighbours dead cat...So yeah, GW could be a lot worse.
post #125 of 127 (permalink) Old 04-09-14, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straken's_Fist View Post
It's a bit like complaining about the price of cocaine..."Oh, 50 quid a gram is expensive, you are ripping me off!" Then don't take it? Get drunk instead or something...Or start scuba diving.
And besides, you do that to a coke dealer you will probably get your head kicked in. At least with GW we can by a new product off ebay or through 1/3 off websites. You get a 1/3 off with coke or methamphetamines it means you are likely going to be buying from the 17 year old kid who lives in the sewer and it will be cut with laundry detergent and the crushed up bones of the neighbours dead cat...So yeah, GW could be a lot worse.
You negotiate with coke dealers at gunpoint.

Anyway, its a matter of opinion, like paying for an AK variant. Paying for one without a lot of upgrades past $1k is a huge ripoff, as opposed to pieces of plastic molded off an assembly line.

As it stands on topic before the money crew derails the topic, universal rules balance (lack of with each ascending edition) is what gripes me. The lack of coherency within writers can also be attributed, but that is also a separate problem with BL too.
post #126 of 127 (permalink) Old 04-09-14, 11:04 PM
Token Trans Mod

Zion's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by incinerator950 View Post
As it stands on topic before the money crew derails the topic, universal rules balance (lack of with each ascending edition) is what gripes me. The lack of coherency within writers can also be attributed, but that is also a separate problem with BL too.
Balance is one of the few complaints aimed at GW I can get behind. I have my theories on why it's happened too (namely their meta in-house is different than our meta).
post #127 of 127 (permalink) Old 04-09-14, 11:10 PM

Bindi Baji's Flag is: United Kingdom

Yes-ish

For nigh on fucking ages; I have wished that GW could/would find a way to speed up codex/armybook releases,
with or without loads of new models,
If they can get relatively everything reasonably updated (one armybook and codex in particular) and keep everything ok-ish (books updated every two to three years) then i'll be even happier then the easter bunny

All right, but apart from the sanitation, medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh water system and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode