Seeking all chainaxes, help needed - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-09-14, 04:57 AM Thread Starter
JUGGERNUT

venomlust's Flag is: USA

Default Seeking all chainaxes, help needed

I'm building a unit of Juggernaut-mounted Berzerkers, and I've made up my mind (more or less) to arm them all with chainaxes.

I'm trying to track down all possible chain axes to see which I like best. If you know of any GW kits I've missed or some 3rd party that has some, please let me know!

So far here are options from Games Workshop that I can find:

From the Berzerkers kit:

From the Forge World Cataphractii weapon kit:

From the Forge World Chainaxe kit:

From the Forge World World Eaters Rampagers kit:

From the Forge World Sons of Horus Reavers kit:

I'm leaning toward the Cataphractii kit, because I'm building 5 guys, so that works out. My favorite are the axes from the Reavers, and I do like their torsos, so that could be an option too. I also like the Rampager long chainaxe, which would work for a mounted Berzerker.

I think no matter which axe I use (except the long chainaxe) I'd be adding a longer haft to account for the fact that they're cavalry. They wouldn't want to lean too far out to the side to strike, so a longer weapon seems like a good idea.

Thoughts? You know of anything I should see?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-09-14, 05:41 AM Thread Starter
JUGGERNUT

Some axes from Puppets War, which are pretty cool but the chainaxe teeth look too thin and dinky:

Anvil Industry chainaxes. They look decent:

Last edited by venomlust; 02-09-14 at 06:23 AM.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-09-14, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
JUGGERNUT

At the moment I'm torn between the Cataphractii kit and the Reavers.

The Reavers have the coolest chainaxes, and the haft looks just about long enough to work for a mounted warrior. Since I'd have to buy the whole kit, the marines can be turned into my 5-man plasma squad of Black Legion Chosen. A very expensive, but ideal option. Maybe for my birthday next month.

Second pick is the Cataphractii kit. The chainaxes look plenty good, but slightly less wicked. The price makes these a great choice. I think I'd extend the hafts just a touch.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-09-14, 07:45 PM

If price is an issue you could always sculpt one and then make a press mold from it to make more :3 otherwise im liking the puppet wars set
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-09-14, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
JUGGERNUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormxlr View Post
If price is an issue you could always sculpt one and then make a press mold from it to make more :3 otherwise im liking the puppet wars set
That's a possibility, but I don't think I'd be very good at making a press mold of anything other than small bits. I could theoretically scratch build every single one with plasticard, rod, and chainsword teeth from spare weapons.

SUFFER NOT THE PONY TO LIVE.

- - AMATEUR KHORNESTAR: MY BLOG THING - -
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-09-14, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by venomlust View Post
That's a possibility, but I don't think I'd be very good at making a press mold of anything other than small bits. I could theoretically scratch build every single one with plasticard, rod, and chainsword teeth from spare weapons.
You never know until you try! there are plenty of tutorial that show easy ways of doing it and materials that can simplify it such as blu-stuff for example
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-09-14, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
JUGGERNUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormxlr View Post
You never know until you try! there are plenty of tutorial that show easy ways of doing it and materials that can simplify it such as blu-stuff for example
Well, cool! Thanks for the encouragement, I'll definitely consider this. I can have a go at having the exact weapon I want without spending $50+ on even more bits. Kharn money...

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-09-14, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
JUGGERNUT

Mind blown. He makes it look so simple:

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-09-14, 10:56 PM
nice boy, daft though !

bitsandkits's Flag is: United Kingdom

Thats not a great tutorial for casting, there are better ones on you tube, I like the liquid blu stuff though.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-09-14, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Well, cool! Thanks for the encouragement, I'll definitely consider this. I can have a go at having the exact weapon I want without spending $50+ on even more bits. Kharn money...
Yep,40k is a costly game being a uni student without a consistent income doesnt help. Anything I can make myself I dont buy,especially if it can save me money. Playing Space Marines I need a lot of Rhinos as I like to run vehicle heavy lists, I am scratch building rhinos from ABS plastic.

Quote:
Mind blown. He makes it look so simple:
Yep, blu stuff is magic You are lucky to live in USA its heaven for all the custom companies that create this type of stuff. Otherwise shipping doesnt take 3-6 month to you if you have to order it from Europe or Canada.
Ive been thinking of using sculpting clay for casting mold(cover the model with virgin olive oil before you cast it so it doest stick to the clay) and green stuff instead of resin. Need to make more research on what is available on local market though when I get back from Italy to China :/.

Last edited by Serpion5; 02-10-14 at 07:19 AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode