Arming Your Daemon Prince - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-19-14, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
Spored to be Wild

morfangdakka's Flag is: USA

Default Arming Your Daemon Prince

I am taking a break from orks and I want to do a chaos marines army lead by a daemon prince. So after doing a little research I know I want to have wings on him but other than that I have no clue what is the best way to arm him for battle? So how do you arm your daemon prince?

Red Orc
"Ahh, isn't Morfang sweet, like a great big 350-pound (that's 25 stone, UK users!) ball of cuddly death...?"

God, gives children to people so that death won't seem so disappointing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-20-14, 12:11 AM

NostromanNeckTie's Flag is: USA

Wings, Power Armor, ML 3, Mark of Tzeentch (you can do Nurgle as well, but I like re-rolling 1's), Black Mace, and Spell Familiar.

If using Black Legion supp. i drop the Black Mace for Last Memory.

Either build is extremely efficient at kicking the shit out of anything it touches, just watch out for mass skyfire, they're tough but not invincible.

I am Jack's smirking revenge.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-20-14, 05:02 AM
Herald of The Warp

Nordicus's Flag is: Denmark

I usually just run mine with power armor, wings, Mark of Tzeentch and Black Mace. It's rare that I have them as psykers these days, although I couldn't tell you why.

I prefer Tzeentch because of the re-rollable 1's for saving throws though, as this rule even applies to the Daemon Princes in the CSM codex. Some are happy with the Nurgle variant, but I've never liked the Slow and Purposeful that they get.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-20-14, 06:15 AM

LukeValantine's Flag is: Canada

Wings+Black Mace+Power armor. Anything beyond this is simply extra which may or may not come in handy. Tzeentch is generally not a good idea unless you have power armor. Although nurgle princes are really hard to wound when diving, and may even be able to go without armor.

Medusa: "I'm a witch, its my job to blaspheme against Gods."

Two Slaanesh daemons on the first go...hmm I guess the fates have spoken emperors children here I come
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-20-14, 10:11 AM
Rattlehead

Nurgle cannot Sweeping Advance, so I wouldn't tend to bother.

I'd go with Wings, Power Armour, Mark of Khorne and Axe of Blind Fury provided you're not already bringing a Lord with the axe - yes, the AP2 is wasted, but you get a fairly horrendous number of attacks and Str8 means tou almost never have to smash.

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-20-14, 10:34 AM

I have found daemon princes to be horribly overpriced for a model with T5 and 4 wounds, there has never been a time in which it didn't die to one or two squads of marines shooting in either first or second turn. Flying doesn't help much unless you have a ton of flying things (so back to heldrake spam) as the obligatory ADL with quad gun will hit you on, most likely, a re-rollable 3+ and wounding on 2s.

In the end, wings are a must, armour is pretty much a must, then go ML 3 and hope you roll Iron Arm or it's going to die horribly.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-20-14, 12:11 PM

I'd take demon allies. A demon prince survives a lot longer when it has friends (more demon princes + a bloodthirster/Lord of change)

When I ran khorne for a while, everyone seemed to be more scared of the bloodthirster...
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-20-14, 02:46 PM

NostromanNeckTie's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokuren View Post
I have found daemon princes to be horribly overpriced for a model with T5 and 4 wounds, there has never been a time in which it didn't die to one or two squads of marines shooting in either first or second turn. Flying doesn't help much unless you have a ton of flying things (so back to heldrake spam) as the obligatory ADL with quad gun will hit you on, most likely, a re-rollable 3+ and wounding on 2s.

In the end, wings are a must, armour is pretty much a must, then go ML 3 and hope you roll Iron Arm or it's going to die horribly.

Try using it in more of a support role. The list that I have uses a ML3 DP and Belakor. Both of which dance and zig zag between my army as they all move up just buffing and debuffing units.

They don't always have to just fly ahead and rip tear smash everything. Let it hang back until something comes into charge range that you can't reliably handle with something else in your army. Once that threat is neutralized just consolidate backwards behind something and repeat the process.

Just a couple tips, they work for me

I am Jack's smirking revenge.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-20-14, 07:19 PM

LukeValantine's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokuren View Post
I have found daemon princes to be horribly overpriced for a model with T5 and 4 wounds, there has never been a time in which it didn't die to one or two squads of marines shooting in either first or second turn.
Truer words have never been spoken

Medusa: "I'm a witch, its my job to blaspheme against Gods."

Two Slaanesh daemons on the first go...hmm I guess the fates have spoken emperors children here I come
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-20-14, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NostromanNeckTie View Post
Try using it in more of a support role. The list that I have uses a ML3 DP and Belakor. Both of which dance and zig zag between my army as they all move up just buffing and debuffing units.

They don't always have to just fly ahead and rip tear smash everything. Let it hang back until something comes into charge range that you can't reliably handle with something else in your army. Once that threat is neutralized just consolidate backwards behind something and repeat the process.

Just a couple tips, they work for me
Oh, but they rip up stuff just fine, the problem is that unless I keep them constantly behind LoS blocking terrain from the rest of the enemy army, something's going to shoot it and that something is going to kill it.

Seriously, they're ludicrously frail for something that costs upwards to 300 points and no less than 200.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode