Space Wolves in 6th - do they work? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-19-14, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Rattlehead

Default Space Wolves in 6th - do they work?

My group allows Forge World, so I have access to Hyperios Launchers to cover anti-air (for those who don't know, they're 35pts each; crewless artillery with T6, armed with a twin-linked Skyfire Interceptor Missile Launcher each, and they come in Fast Attack in squads of 1-3; that's 9 Skyfire/Interceptor Krak Missiles on T6 3+ 2W chassis for 315pts). I also only play against maximum 1 flyer - either a Heldrake or a lone Night Scythe. The group consists of an Eldar player, a CSM player, and a Necron player.

So, with their anti-flyer weaknesses covered, are Space Wolves still a strong army in 6th? I remember them being very strong in 5th, but they seem to have fallen off the radar a bit since 6th hit.

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-19-14, 08:33 PM

Sethis's Flag is: United Kingdom

If you can deal with the inevitable Heldrake(s) when it appears then Wolves are very strong. I believe their greatest weakness is their inability to punch through Broadside/Riptide 2+ saves at a distance of over 12" (double tap plasma/melta) which means Long Fangs eventually lose that shooting war - bouncing off 2+ with Kraks while eating S8 AP2 Cover-Ignoring blasts. If you can find a reliable way to drop 2+ saves from across the table, either with allies or wargear choices then you should be able to construct something very playable.

Of course when the new codex drops your Lascannons will cost the same as everyone elses, so will be viable on Long Fang squads.

90% of people think they are above average.

Statistically Improbable. Psychologically Inevitable.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-19-14, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Rattlehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethis View Post
If you can find a reliable way to drop 2+ saves from across the table, either with allies or wargear choices then you should be able to construct something very playable.
Luckily for me, I'm the only player in the local meta who brings anything with a 2+ save except for Sempiternal Weave on the odd Overlord.

There is a Wraithknight kicking around, which is annoying, but that's very much easier to bring down for Wolves I would imagine with all the missiles kicking around. There may eventually be a Riptide though - would Jaws of the World Wolf be somewhat reasonable for dealing with a single Tide?

EDIT: Wait, no, of course it doesn't - the Riptide is a Jet MC.

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).

Last edited by MidnightSun; 01-19-14 at 09:19 PM.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-19-14, 09:42 PM

Sethis's Flag is: United Kingdom

In that case it sounds like Wolves would be very strong in your meta - if and when a single Riptide shows up then you should be able to blizzard it under in short order. The problem is if someone buys a Firebase Cadre...

90% of people think they are above average.

Statistically Improbable. Psychologically Inevitable.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-19-14, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Rattlehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethis View Post
In that case it sounds like Wolves would be very strong in your meta - if and when a single Riptide shows up then you should be able to blizzard it under in short order. The problem is if someone buys a Firebase Cadre...
@falcoso - Don't listen to this guy...

Thanks for the solid advice, Sethis.

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-20-14, 12:12 PM

I recently played a 40k game with my space wolves. Here is a list of that games MVPs:

1x Skyshield Landing Pad (for your longfangs) (possibly adding obstacles if Stronghold Assault is ok with your gaming group) (this is also the only way of keeping your saves vs Tau)
15x Longfangs with ML
10x Wolfguard,
2 with cyclone ML joined to longfangs
8 with combi-plasma in drop pod (anti-riptide or any other large threat)

Also my suggestion:
Skip the scouts and the thunderwolf cavalry.

Conclusion: The Space Wolves still got a unique postition with so many possible Missile Launchers. Id say that they are atleast as strong as Vanilla Marines even without the gravguns. You have to run a bit "cheesy"/spam to be as strong as other armies but if you do you should be evenly matched.

Last edited by ShinoRagnar; 01-20-14 at 12:19 PM.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-20-14, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Rattlehead

Wolf lord on Thunderwolf. Painted to a good standard, finecast
Rune priest painted to a good standard, converted from the DV Librarian

Dreadnaught painted to a good standard. Arms are no glued on, has assault cannon and power fist with storm Bolter. Body is from the AoBR dread.
Wolf scouts, painted to a good standard with heavy Bolter
4 wolf guard part painted with various weapons

10 grey hunters, 2 with plasma guns, 2 with wulfen heads. Painted to good standard, or mostly painted.
5 part built grey hunters
1 Razorback with lascannons painted to good standard
1 Rhino painted to good standard
1 rhino/razorback weapons are unbuilt, but I have them somewhere!
2 drop pods, one black that doesn't open, one painted that does.

2 land speeders undercoated black. I have the weapon options for them, but not sure where.
5 part painted swift claws, painting is of a good standard.

6 long fangs with 5 lascannons part painted
6 long fangs with 5 missile launchers part painted
6 long fangs with 5 heavy bolters part painted
1 plasma cannon Long Fang
1 multi melta Long fang ( I may have 2 of these I can't remember)

There's the model list, but there may be a little more stuff. Added to that is stuff I already have but can repaint - another Drop Pod, 5 more Missile Launchers, 2 more Land Speeders, 2 more Rhinos, Rune Priest, 15 more Grey Hunters (fairly generic Power Armoured Infantry converted from Tacticals and Assault Marines I'm not using), 7 more Wolf Scouts, a Predator, a Vindicator and a Wolf Lord/Guard with Power Fist.

I'm thinking of stacking 30 Grey Hunters in Drop Pods with Rune Priests, then bringing a couple of Missile Launcher Long Fang units in Razorbacks with a Wolf Lord running about with Saga of the Bear/Storm Shield/Thunder Hammer and Wolves, a pair of Scout Squads with Meltas using Behind Enemy Lines, and then Hyperios Launchers. Maybe?

post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-20-14, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Rattlehead

Wolf Lord with Wolftooth Necklace, Thunderwolf Mount, Saga of the Bear, Power Fist and Storm Shield
Rune Priest with Wolftail Talisman, Chooser of the Slain, Living Lightning and Jaws of the World Wolf
Rune Priest with Wolftail Talisman, Living Lightning and Tempest's Wrath

10 Grey Hunters with 2 Meltaguns, Mark of the Wulfen and Wolf Standard in Drop Pod
9 Grey Hunters with Meltagun, Mark of the Wulfen and Wolf Standard in Drop Pod
9 Grey Hunters with Meltagun, Mark of the Wulfen and Wolf Standard in Drop Pod

Land Speeder with Typhoon Missile Launchers

6 Long Fangs with 5 Missile Launchers
6 Long Fangs with 5 Missile Launchers

Inquisitor Coteaz

Aegis Defence Line with Quad-Gun

There's the list I've come up with for when my opponent's being nice or poor and can't afford Flyers, or against minimal Flyers (i.e. most games - probably over 50% of my games are against Flyer-less Orks or Eldar, or Necrons with a single Scythe). Against one of the scarier options (Heldrake), I'd swap out the Land Speeders for nine Hyperios Platforms, which considering I can Twin-Link a squad of Long Fangs as well as fire the Quad-Gun, should be more than enough.

EDIT: Derp, meant to edit that, not double-post.

Last edited by MidnightSun; 01-20-14 at 07:52 PM.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-20-14, 07:52 PM
ZOMGZOR CUSTOM USER TITLE

scscofield's Flag is: USA

I would give the WL Runic Armor, especially since he is going to be out there on his own. Never was a fan of Speeders, just too fragile for the points, 270 points of them would be better suited elsewhere in my opinion.

http://i.imgur.com/aPfHUHy.gif?1

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-20-14, 08:01 PM
The Tinkerer

Wookiepelt's Flag is: United Kingdom

I'd also consider giving the WL two Fenrisian wolves as "bodyguards" up front (costing an extra 20 points) thereby giving you two extra wounds for a total of 5 wounds!

Don't leave us engineers with too much free time on our hands...
we WILL tinker around and build something!!!

Wookie's Wolfies - A Space Wolves Project Log

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode